Page 81 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 81

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Great to see those results! I'll bet your trainer is really happy with you.

I'm a dark meat person myself. Don't see the point of white meat unless you need a big slab for something.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, he has given me several compliments. It's funny though, I'm pretty strong in some things and in other things, I'm weak as a kitten. I have lost more weight, I can see it and can tell by the way my clothes fit.

My eating has been a bit less structured since SWMBO has been away. It is a tradition that Boy and I go to the local Chinese place when we are on our own, which we did on Tuesday. But turns out that Eldest and Middlest wanted to go out to dinner and we wound up at the same Chinese place last night too, much to boy's delight. Middlest spent a year in China studying, and is fluent. He loves to suddenly start speaking Chinese to the wait staff to see their reactions. It was very funny and I think every person who worked there came over to chat with him and were all complementary. Even sent over a round of beers! It was fun.

When I get Chinese, these days, I get the steamed chicken and mixed vegetables and brown rice. But boy was so excited to see his brothers that he really didn't eat all that much so I picked at his Lo Mein. I had pretty remarkable indigestion all evening as a result. Wheat and really bad oils no doubt. Normally bad eating doesn't affect me so clearly after eating bad foods and I marvel at other people who in their journals ascribe all sorts of ills to sloppy eating. But this was pretty clear.

Yesterday's training was Chest and Arms. Today my pecs hurt just a bit and this morning, after waking, but before getting out of bed, I felt a tightness in my chest and worried that I was having a heart attack! Lol! Then I remembered the workout and did some stretches and it was all better! :-)
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 231.6
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 31.5

More debauchery to report. Took Eldest, who now works with me to lunch and had a Cobb salad, a large green salad with chicken breast, bacon and hard boiled eggs. It was good, but had a beer. I had a workout today because my trainer is gone tomorrow. Since SWMBO is away, Boy goes with me to training and generally plays on my iPad. But afterward he begged to go to get pizza. I agreed reluctantly.

Turns out they have Cobb salad on their menu so ordered one. I am always very hungry about an hour after working out and polished off the salad and three pieces of Boy's small pizza. It wasn't very tasty and I paid for it with a very confused and bubbly tummy, poor sleep and general discomfort.
    Body Fat 31.5

David, I think we have turned you into a gluten-intolerant individual! Join the club! All our whining must have finally gotten to you.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I was sort of thinking the same thing, (the gluten sensitivity, not the whining :-))

I have had, at various times in my life, trouble with indigestion, agita, sour stomach, call it what you will. I wonder if it was a sensitivity to gluten all along? I never put two and two together, and just assumed it was something else that I had eaten.

Since PB and giving up wheat (for the most part) I've had virtually no stomach upset, except when I do indulge.
    Body Fat 31.5

Yep. That's it in a nutshell. Of course, I'm a crazy nut who thinks that a huge percentage of our population has some level of gluten-intolerance and that is what is causing so many problems. But you knew that already. (That I'm a crazy nut.) But what you are describing is classic gluten-intolerance.

When I was a heavy grain eater (because it's healthy, right?) I had constant indigestion, which I blamed on the small amount of meat that I consumed. I was an idiot! I never have any of those problems now.

Well more misadventures in fitness. No training on Saturday (trainer Cliff was at a wedding) so I took a nice long walk and not much else. This AM I was feeling fit as a fiddle and went out to play tennis. I play Sunday Mornings because Boy has a lesson and I play with some of the other parents (who are friends of ours).

One guy, in particular is a good match for me, he is much younger and quite fit, our skill levels are about even, I'm probably a better player, but can't get to the ball because of my weight and poor fitness (but I am getting better). The tennis instructor who gives Boy his lessons is a really nice, funny guy and just loves to play. So while the kids are running, or gathering balls, he'll often volley a bit with whoever is playing.

Today he jumped over to our court and he and the guy I was rallying with were on one side and I was on the other. I did my best to play well and managed to impress him with several of my shots. But it was much more vigorous playing than I have done thus far. It was only for about ten minutes, but it upped my level of play for the day. All told, I played for a full hour, twice as long as I have played up until now. I felt good but really worked hard and fully exhausted myself. It was fun.

But I was wrecked for the rest of the day. Everything is sore. Particularly my bad shoulder, though I do not think I've injured it further, just used it more than I am accustomed to.

SWMBO was not sympathetic.

It is an issue, that as I get fitter, I push myself harder and consequently I am always tired and often sore. Today was the worst! But also a load of fun.
    Body Fat 31.5

Oh, and to report, I ordered a bunch of Chicken, pork and some beef from Tendergrass Farms (the guy who wrote a couple of blog posts about meat production and labeling in Mark's Blog a couple of weeks ago). It was all very good! They threw in some sirloin tip steaks with orders over $200.00. I had some of those on the grill last night and they were great! Amazing flavor and more tender than some I've had.

At first I was just a little put off by the company's shipping program. The farm is in Virginia, but he ships all the meat to Nebraska where they are shipped out. Seems like a long trip to me, and wasteful, but he sent me an email explaining the thinking behind it. Nebraska is a major meat processing and shipping area. It is also geographically in the middle of the country and a large percentage of the continental US is within a 3-day truck drive. Whereas if he were to ship from VA, all of the West Coast would be an airplane ride away. So for a big operation, in the aggregate, it makes sense and he will cheerfully show how he minimizes the shipping expenses and fuel use to any interested party.

CT however, is outside of the three-day shipping area and my order had to be shipped FedEx (air). It didn't cost me extra and the meat came well packaged in a foam cooler in dry ice and was frozen hard, despite the scorching temps we've been having.

So all in all it was a good experience and I will likely use them again. I guess I'd prefer to deal more locally, but the producers in Connecticut are selling into the wealthy Western part of the state and command prices nearly double what Tendergrass Farms and 8 O'clock Farms sells for.

So long story short, grilled beef and summer squash fresh from the garden, Nom, nom, nom...
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 07-29-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    Body Fat 31.5

MMMMMmmmmmm ohh man oh man that sounds great! I'll be over around 6.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bring some Kombucha!! :-)
    Body Fat 31.5

Page 81 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast