Page 75 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 75

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah, it was an idea I had for years before I acted on it. Now I am wondering why I waited so long. I mean the money is an issue for sure. I can afford it, barely, but I can. My hope is that after 3 or 6 months, I'll be in good enough shape that I can just go to his fitness classes (at much less cost) and work out that way.

But I had this idea that I needed to do this myself, some stupid macho, lone wolf, "I broke myself without help from anybody, I'll fix myself without help from anybody" idea in my head. That was what really held me back. Once I realized that I couldn't motivate myself enough to ever do it without help, then it became easy.

For me at least, paying somebody to work me out, was important. I don't want to waste the money I've prepaid.

Hell, I used to go see a Psychologist because I was depressed that I was so fat and seemingly helpless to change that and each hour with him cost me $100.00. This costs me half of that and I am losing the fat as a result.

I wonder why insurance doesn't cover it, at least partially.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    It should definitely! My employer would help pay for it, but I already get the discount for the Y which is considerable and they will only pay for one fitness thing. (Not complaining!) I'm afraid I won't like it or won't think it is worth it, or be really embarrassed, or something. I certainly can't motivate myself on my own, that's for sure!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

The embarrassment aspect is something that I am currently dealing with. I recently switched times during the week from 7:15 to 5:15. When it was later in the day It was the last training session he did. But now my time is just before a class. The folks arrive on the early side, which means I am flopping and sweating in front of several very fit people.

At first it seemed bad to me, but then I thought, hell, at least I am here doing this. I should've been embarrassed sitting in my easy chair eating bread and drinking whiskey all by myself.

I am also a member of the Y, and at first I thought I would just ask the kid at the desk to show me all the training machines (I already know how to use the free weights). But I instinctively knew that I would go easy on myself without making much progress if I worked out there without somebody actively coaching me. SWMBO and Boy swim at the Y regularly (Boy takes lessons). Once I get in good enough shape that I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen in a bathing suit, I likely will join them. I'm not much of a swimmer, but I want to get better. My shoulder (rotator cuff) feels so much better when I swim.

Vanity...
    Body Fat 27.5

All is vanity, saith the Teacher. Wise words. At the Y (the Y is all we have here) I got the names and email of two personal trainers who work from there and then conveniently lost them. I am hopeless.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Yeah I went through the same thing. Making inquiries and then not acting. You may well be different though. You get yourself out swimming and to do your hammer thing (I cant remember the name of it). I wasn't able to discipline myself to do anything beyond walking, I always had good intentions, but rarely did it. Despite the Y membership and a cellar full of exercise equipment that would qualify to be a personal trainer rather than needing one.

What I lacked was the drive to make working out a regular occurrence and somebody to push me harder than I would push myself.

Speaking of pushing myself. I felt fine yesterday, but today I am way sore in well pretty much my entire lower body. The dreaded DOMS! Lunchtime I'll do some Grok squats and stretching before going under the lash again tonight!
    Body Fat 27.5

Well, I have located the lost email addys and will send off an inquiry today. I can at least do that much. I am hoping she offers an introductory lesson of some type.

The only thing I am really good at is squatting. I can do a full squat no problem, and stay that way for a long time. Like I could eat dinner while squatting. I don't know why this is so. I've been imitating Mark and squatting while I brush my teeth. (Appropos of nothing)

My guy started out with a fitness evaluation, basically he took height, weight, percent body fat and then went through basic exercises to gauge my fitness level. How long I could plank, how much I could deadlift, etc., etc. The whole thing took an hour and was gratis. I had already decided to sign up before I got there as soon as I saw his gym, so he didn't have to do a hard sell at all.

I don't know how other people work. But I guess it would be somewhat similar.

I'm working on squats, trying to get my whole foot on the ground. I try to do several minutes each morning. I just read Marks bit about brushing your teeth while squatting, what a great idea! I currently do it while waiting for coffee to brew!
    Body Fat 27.5

Workout last night was brutal (Yay!). He really is pushing me (this is good). Last night he introduced me to Burbees (those of us of an age will remember these as squat-thrusts with a pushup and a jump added to the mix). I didn't hate them as much as some do, but I only did three sets of ten. I imagine that I will like them less as I do more.

Aside from that I was able to do the whole workout without breaking down into tears. A minor triumph: I was able to do 8 assisted pull-ups (chin-ups). When I started I couldn't do any. When I did them last on his rig I could only do three. So I am making progress!
    Body Fat 27.5

You'll be doing an unassisted pull-up in no time!

I sent off email but haven't heard back.

File this under "self-inflicted wounds"

Friday was our company picnic. One of the owners has a house on Rogers lake. They set up a tent and did a big steak and lobster feed so all and all it's pretty easy to stay on track eating wise. There are several young men in the company now (including my eldest son as of a month or so ago). They challenged me to a race chugging Irish Car Bombs. Sigh... I won. Chugging drinks is one of my superpowers. In one of the heats, one guy tied me.

The afternoon devolved from there. A bunch of us went to the lake and before you know it we were doing chicken fights in the lake. My rider, I am always the base, and I were undefeated. My eldest and his cousin were against me and one of her friends. My newly found improvement in core strength was remarkable when put to a practical, albeit alcohol fueled application. A fun time was had by all.

Now lets talk about Saturday morning... I woke up quite hungover and with nearly every identifiable muscle in my entire upper body stiff and sore... Nothing seemed injured, just hurting and hungover. Suddenly it dawned on me that I had a personal training session at 11:00. Groan. I briefly considered canceling, but didn't. When I got there I explained what happened and Cliff was cool with it. We did a bunch of stretching and then an upper body workout, chest and shoulders. It was a great kindness, because I really felt awful.

Today I'm certainly not hungover, but still stiff and sore, mostly my neck, but I did play tennis this morning and it helped me to loosen up a bit. I'll go swimming later and hopefully that will help as well.

Someday I hope to grow up...
    Body Fat 27.5

Page 75 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast