Page 71 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 71

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sounds like you are doing awesome David! And I love the latest photo! You have lost a marked amount of weight on your face and it definitely suits you ... you go! And your workouts sound awesome ....
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    So my one year Primal-versary is approaching! (July 6th) I am within 2 lbs. of my Primal low of last summer (236). So yay!!

Tonight is my training again. I ate a little lunch and a half an hour before I will eat some blueberries and I will see if I feel more energetic (I hope so!). Of course it is in the 90s and humid and I'm a whining sissy in the heat, so I must factor that in.

The 230's is a real sticking point for me. I've stalled at this weight several times, but now with the weight training, I am hoping this year it will not be an issue :-)
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    You look great! Such a difference from your profile pic.

The workouts sound so fun!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Thanks Coll and Siobhan!

Last night's training went really well. I sweat buckets! This owing as much to the 90-degree temps as to the level of vigor with which I trained! ;-) But my shoulder is getting better, so we went a bit harder on it and it felt fine. The core strength is coming along! I planked (push-up position) for two minutes! During my fitness evaluation (first week of June) I could barely hold 30 seconds. It's great that there is demonstrable progress already!

My pre-workout eating worked well too! I had energy enough and didn't hit the wall until it was the appropriate time (the end of the workout).

All is well :-)
    Body Fat 27.5

So one of the benefits of really working out to exhaustion three times a week has been the quality of my sleep. I hit the pillow at 10:00 and I'm out in a couple of minutes and the next thing I know it's 6:00 AM! It's really pretty remarkable. I've always been a pretty reliable sleeper, but was often awaken several times in the night to semi-consciousness.

But in the past few weeks, my sleep has been really regular. I'd love to say I wake up all chipper and raring to go, but that would be a stretch. I still have muscle soreness depending on what particular parts we worked on in training. It does take me awhile to stretch out and I really look forward to that morning coffee.

I've also pretty much given up the morning walk, in order for me to do that I need to be up at 5:00 and out the door. I used to get up without an alarm at 4:50AM (for the past 25 years), but no more. Now I'm a sleepyhead. I miss the walking, and have promised myself to start again July 1st. By then I'll be better acclimated to my workouts (it's already happening).

I don't know if any of you read Mark's Link blog post about chocolate flavanols acting like a sunblock in folks that drank a cup of dark chocolate cocoa every morning. It intrigued me, so I read the article. It was just one of the many benefits of cocoa. I've been eating an ounce or two of 85% dark chocolate every couple of days (when I think of it). But I really don't want the sugar, so I switched to unsweetened bakers chocolate, but that's really nasty. I tried melting it and adding it to coconut milk, or my whey protein shake, but that's not really very convenient. So in the article, the cocoa they used was a cocoa extract powder made by Mars, which at the time of the writing wasn't available commercially but now is. So I bought some. It's unsweetened, 30 calories and melts readily in hot coffee. It's great! It has 250mg of cocoa flavanols and even though its not sweetened, adds a nice coca flavor to coffee.

I bought a six month supply, (one packet a day) and it wasn't too expensive, about equal to buying premium dark chocolate bars.
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 06-27-2013 at 07:22 AM.
    Body Fat 27.5

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Can you post a link of where you purchased it from?

Also I'm curious to if you are depleting your glycogen stores during these workouts. If you are then you may not be hitting your REM sleep cycles which would explain why you are waking up feeling groggy and not chipper and ready to go. Something to consider.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Sleep is endlessly fascinating to me, how we do it, why we do, what happens when we do it. So interesting to experience these different things. I never thought of the relationship between sleep and diet until I found this place.

Must check out that cocoa powder. I would like to get rid of the sugar also.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

ecks, my trainer wondered about that too, so we've been playing with my pre-workout meals. Today I had a smallish lunch and a half hour before working out I'll eat some berries.

The place I got it from is the manufacturer (Mars). I was reluctant to post it because I didn't want to sound like I was shilling. But it's CocoaVia.com

They sell it in sweetened and unsweetened forms. I got the unsweetened.
    Body Fat 27.5

Last night's workout was pretty intense. I'm sore in all new places this AM so I guess I worked hard enough. What really is tender is my feet. I have been training with New Balance Minimus shoes. I cant get the Vibram footy shoes in anything like my size, so these are the closest thing. I was discussing this with Cliff, my trainer, and he said they were a good choice but that my running is wrong for them. I have to keep much more on the balls of my feet and not come down on my heels at all. We practiced this for a good while, hence the tenderness in, well pretty much everything below my neck.

So at work there are a couple of young guys (late 20s - early 30s) who run a Warrior Dash race a couple of times each Summer. I asked Cliff about these races and it turns out that he participates and organizes these as well! So I said that I would like to run in one next Summer. He said he would work with me on this and that I should be in good enough shape by then. So that is a longish term goal for me.

So my fitness goals are as follows:

To run in (and finish) a Warrior dash race in Summer 2014.
    To be able to do a pull-up by September 2013.

These are in addition to my weight-loss goal, which I really have no time target for, whenever that happens it's okay. I really don't even know what my target weight will be. The 172 is really just a guess based on my current body fat% and my past history (as a 20 year old I weighed 184 and was still pretty soft and chubby round the middle). As I get closer to it, I'll adjust as necessary.
    Body Fat 27.5

ecks is offline Senior Member
    I know that Dave Asprey can be sketch to some but he stands behind a tablespoon of raw honey before bed. When I was having problems sleeping at my parents place that + some supplements (450mg magnesium and 60mg zinc) I slept like a rock. It was raw honey specifically because the glucose content is so high that it goes straight to your liver which your brain can pull from directly for fueling REM cycles.

Step 5: Improve Your Sleep
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Page 71 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast