Page 70 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 70

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah, I certainly wouldn't have done this a year ago. I think I had a real hard time accepting that I needed help with this, that I couldn't do it myself, by myself.

Once I got that through my thick skull, then I had to justify the expense, It is expensive, about $40/session. Ouch. But the way I figure it is that it is about the same as the deductable on my healthcare plan annually. So if I get sick, I'll be paying that amount anyway. If I pay it and it helps to keep me well, I am no worse off financially.

Then I just had to find the right trainer and that was just luck.

No regrets.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230.5
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Yeah, I am really liking the training a lot!

Last night it was pouring rain so we couldn't do wind sprints and farmer carries (yay!). So we stayed indoors and did more traditional weight lifting, squats, rows, deadlifts; things I am more familiar with. It was fun, though it was totally exhausting, in a deep muscle kind of way. I slept like a rock and didn't get up early to walk :-(

Maybe I can get a walk in tonight.

Incidentally, food had been really good. I've sort of hit my stride on the diet front. The centerpiece is still the warrior fasting, so skipping breakfast every day. Two or three days a week I do have lunch, but that is because I go out with co-workers. Fortunately I have discovered that I can have a dozen clams on the half shell and at only 7 calories each it's a lot of food, good protein and low in calories. I avoid the cocktail sauce (full of sugar) and just have some horseradish and lemon juice. Then I follow that up with an entrée sized salad and it's a nice light meal. Then I just have a smaller dinner than I would had I fasted through lunch.

So living on the shoreline has some distinct advantages.

Since I look at myself daily I don't see the difference due to the weight loss, but last night I saw one of my friends who hasn't seen me since the holidays and remarked that I'd really lost weight. :-)
    Body Fat 30.5

ecks is offline Senior Member
    The recognition is always a huge asset in losing weight. It's a reminder that you are doing something noticeable! If you ever want a good alternative to farmer carries you should try putting together a slosh pipe... Don't ask me what it is it's just easier to look up on youtube. Fun and cheap to make and adds a new dynamic of unpredictability to your workout.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

I think I've used one of those at one of my training sessions. Well something similar anyway. It was a big plastic tube, like PVC drainpipe, capped both ends and filled with sand, but not all-the-way full. I had to carry it over my head with arms fully extended forward and backward up and down a hill.

It wasn't too heavy, maybe 15 - 20 pounds but it got heavier as I carried it longer. I had to keep adjusting my position or all the sand would run into the low side making it heavier, so that's got to be good for some core training somehow.

In other news, I rested, I ate well, I walked and tonight I go to training again.

Just for giggles I tried on my skinniest suit, the jacket fits! The pants are too snug, but I can clasp them! Yay!
    Body Fat 30.5

Here's a recent picture. Either my face is getting thinner or my nose is getting bigger!

me.jpg
    Body Fat 30.5

campanella is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, I haven't lost much weight but I know even 5 lbs different makes a huge difference on my face and thus on the way I see myself. i read an interesting article once from someone who had been clinically obese and suffered from body image related depression, but found the depression worse once she lost all the weight, because she felt people treated her so drastically different as a thin woman that she felt her worth was all in her weight and was so ephemeral... very sad and interestingly stated. Probably more applicable to women but you reminded me when you said something about your nose- lol- my point was to be mindful that you might see yourself even more differently than you realize at a different weight, and not to reject the differences or make judgements until you are more comfortable with still being yourself in a physically different looking self.
    Which may not even be a problem for you seeing as you're easily identifiable from all the pictures chronologicalyouve posted, just by your friendly eyes
    If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
    I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

Thanks! :-). I know exactly what you're saying. As a young man I lost a great deal of weight over the course of a summer spent away. When I returned I was treated completely differently by everybody. It was difficult for me and I did feel somewhat resentful about it. It didn't last long however because I quickly put the weight back on.

This time I'm losing the weight in full view of friends and family so the difference won't be so abrupt and I've seen a few more sunsets than I did then and hopefully will keep perspective. But I already do notice people (strangers) treating me differently. It's mostly good.
    Body Fat 30.5

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Looking good buddy!! It's gotta be the bigger nose!

Seriously though- there's a certain joy in your face. Glad to see that you're doing well and feeling good!
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Thanks Ecks!

Last night's training session left me with a bit less joy in my face! Lol! He had me run an obstacle course, which included hopping over a grid of robes, sort of like football drills I did in High School. I had to go back and forth 4 times and nearly passed out! It was way too intense for me at the fitness level I'm at now. But he's gently prodding me to make modest gains.

It would actually be a lot of fun (the obstacle course) if I was in better shape. It will come in time. Who knows, I might do a warrior dash some time next year!

Or die trying!
    Body Fat 30.5

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It was a nice weekend, our town had its fireworks display Saturday night. The fireworks are shot off right at the end of the street, so we just walk down to the beach to see them, along with 10,000 other folks. It's always a good show, the fireworks and everybody trying to get their cars to get home, which takes until well after midnight.

We had a friend over and had a cookout, all Primal fare. It was fun. I did have one beer, but just one. My workout went well on Saturday. We discussed nutrition. I have been doing the Warrior diet (fasting through Breakfast and Lunch and eating a big meal at dinnertime). This hasn't been good on workout days because I poop out right away. The trouble is that my workout is at 7:00pm Tuesday and Thursday. So basically when I go to workout I haven't eaten for nearly 24-hours.

So he suggested that I eat a decent Paleo lunch on workout days, and then a half hour before training I eat a half a pint of blueberries or some other fruit. So I'll be trying that tomorrow and Thursday.

I think I am beginning to get a bit stronger, and he weighed me again and I lost two pounds! :-)
    Body Fat 30.5

Page 70 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast