Page 69 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 69

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    The personal trainer pushes me way harder than I have ever pushed myself, to be sure. Somehow instinctively I know that I go easy on myself while exercising and that if I were to make any significant progress, would need somebody to encourage and push me. So far it's working.

I'm a bit surprised about just how badly out of shape I am. I mean, I walk three or four miles a day at least five times a week and I am strong physically, but I pant and hack and sweat my way through these workouts gasping for dear life. I'm exhausted by them to a degree that I've rarely experienced, at least as an adult.

I'm happy that I am finally doing it, but it's a lot of work, and I think it will continue to be a lot of work for longer than the three months I am signed up for.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    On drinking, there's some intriguing evidence suggesting that the more nourished your body is, the less it craves alcohol. This seems to be the case for me--I drink much less often than I used to. Although perhaps it's just part of finally growing up? Who knows.

I really only drink the REALLY good stuff now, also. When the Great American Beer Festival comes to town I sample lots of fine microbrews. My primary wine is one my neighbor makes, which is fantastic and has no weird added anything. If I buy a bottle of bourbon it's the good stuff, and I sip it on the rocks.

I don't swill cheap beer or liquor any more, even when boating or camping or whatever. Drinking the good stuff, slowly feels more like the good life now.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

campanella is offline Senior Member
    Wow, it sounds like you're getting some intense workouts!! Do make sure you're eating enough on those days!
    If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
    I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

I have been doing the warrior fasts, (no breakfast or lunch and a big dinner) but I now eat a small meal about an hour or so before my workout.

It's helped! Thanks! :-)
    Body Fat 30.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I have been drinking very little these days, just not craving it. I was hitting the wine bottle pretty hard a few months back! Maybe just a seasonal thing. I have been enjoying an occasional glass - and had a bad experience recently - but I'm just not wanting it. It's true, I think, that cravings signal a deficiency, and not the thing you are actually deficient in.

I've been inquiring about personal trainers, so far come up totally CW.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I agree, my drinking is always heaviest during the Winter Months. Though I'm not certain that for me, cravings are the force for my drinking (though they may be). For me drinking has always been the passcode for relaxation and fun. I'd get together with friends and have drinks. Go to a party and have drinks. Romantic evening in front of the fire and have a drink.

I've just associated drinking with relaxation and good times. Maybe that's what I am craving when I drink, the relaxation and camraderie of friends and loved ones. When I am depressed and feeling lonely, I am not good company, so I don't seek out these experiences. But a glass or three of whiskey conjures some of the same feelings and if I don't look too deep into them, I don't notice that I am missing the whole point of social drinking. To be social.

I am working to change my mindset about having fun, into one that focuses on physical activity and healthy interaction with people. I've spent enough time on barstools for one lifetime.
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 06-14-2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: I do my best proof-reading after I hit 'send'
    Body Fat 30.5

campanella is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DCarr10760 View Post
    But a glass or three of whiskey conjures some of the same feelings and if I don't look too deep into them, I don't notice that I am missing the whole point of social drinking. To be social.

I am working to change my mindset about having fun, into one that focuses on physical activity and healthy interaction with people. I've spent enough time on barstools for one lifetime.
    That's an astute observation that resonates with me also. Although I don't drink, this is the mindset when I overeat, or even those days I've struggled with where I waste hours on the internet and don't even know why and probably couldn't stop myself. I want the social dinners and shared experience and I want some of the wonderful convo's the internet has enabled for me w/ long distance friends in particular, but when I lack those things, I try to fill in with the action when it's lost its meaning and end up trying to overcompensate with the meaningless action.
    If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
    I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

Yes, you're right food does the same kind of thing, with pleasant associations, although for me those associations are about family, safety and acceptance. I have some history of binging as well, in my binges the food always played some role and was part of the experience I was trying to connect to. My earliest recollection of this was reading a book about Robin Hood where he and his band of Merry Men stopped at an Inn and ate Bread and Cheese and drank Ale. I read this at age 9 or so and ate a whole loaf of bread, a whole block of Cheese and a pitcher of lemonade (we didn't have any ale).

That's a real literal example, but food, at least certain foods are so indelibly linked to thoughts of family that just smelling them brings me back. Being an emotional eater and prone to depression I have in the past really used food to bring me to that happy place, at the expense of my health.

That has gotten better as I age (happily). Since starting with PB my outlook on food is entirely different. I know what foods are good for me (beyond what just makes me fat). I no longer crave the unhealthy comfort foods (of course, I am also not currently depressed).

Also exercise. Speaking of that, yesterday we started in with wind sprints along with the core training and since I expressed an interest in being able to do a set of pull-ups some day, my trainer set up a big rubber bandy sorta thing that I could loop my foot in that would assist me in doing some while I get stronger and thinner. So cool!
    Body Fat 30.5

Yesterday was my rest day, I have my personal training tonight. I am looking forward to it. It's nice to not have to worry about designing a workout and then finding the motivation to do it. He takes care of that, and it's working!

He designed a yoga program for me to help with some flexibility issues. I'm surprised how weak my core is, because I am active and walk a great deal but apparently core strength and stamina need more regular and targeted efforts than I have made.

My enthusiasm level is still high and I am seeing results. Underneath a shrinking sheath of blubber there are hard muscles that I am now aware of. I haven't weighed myself since my first session, but I can now fit into most sized 38 pants! (I started out in 42 - 44!).

Sunday morning I did my usual walk, but did run a portion of it, maybe a half-mile total in two parts. My legs still feel heavy and I was winded quickly enough, but it was good!

:-)
    Body Fat 30.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It is so great to hear of your progress! Think of how far you have come. Probably wasn't that long ago that the type of training you are doing was out of the question. Fantastic that you have found such a good trainer.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Page 69 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast