Page 68 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 68

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Boy, miss a day and you're 4 pages back! Glad to see the forum is so active!

I went to golf tournament yesterday for work. I am not a golfer, at least not in the last twenty years. I was just there to help with the setup and registration and then just kibbetz with the players, hand out drinks etc. Later there was a reception and awards dinner that I (and a coworker) attended. It was fun, the rain held off.

After the registration in the morning, we had little to do so we went to lunch at an Indian place and I had Chicken Tikka Masala. (way better than what I make, but likely not as Primal). Dinner was typical banquet fare, baked stuffed shrimp and risotto, both bathed in buttery grease, colorless salad, with just enough steamed vegetables for the guests to be able to honestly tell their wives that they did eat their vegetables. If I were to have taken all of the vegetables off of every one of the ten plates at my table it would just about equal a normal portion for me.

Fortunately after lunch I wasn't all that hungry, so I just picked. Still, though I did my best to eat around the stuffing and obvious bad things, my stomach was upset all night and is tentative still.

One good thing is that I really have curbed my drinking. I had one beer at lunch, and another at dinner and that was it for the day. It doesn't seem like a triumph in sobriety on the face of it, but compared with my past efforts at functions like this (open bar), it is nearly teatotaling!

Go me!

Still a little soreness (DOMS) in my quads from Saturday's workout, tonight is another!
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 06-11-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Go you indeed! There is nothing like being in control of what goes into you- especially when it has had power over you in the past.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Yeah I do like being in control of my drinking. I've let myself go too far with alcohol too many times. As I get older I realize it was getting problematic. I do still enjoy it socially, but to be honest, beer is pretty much out, not very Primal. Wine I only like under very specific circumstances, like with Italian food, or Mediterranian Food. I get headaches from wine (Sulfites?) so I never drink very much. Whiskey? I'm trying to really cut back. I used to have a whiskey or two every day. Lately its been once every couple of weeks. Then only at social getherings where it's appropriate. Of course there was that bachelor party I went to a couple of weeks ago...

Everything in moderation...including moderation!
    Body Fat 30.5

Yesterday I had another workout. My shoulder is healing nicely, I'm being careful not to do things that aggravate it. I did however pull a glut muscle while doing a one legged squat, so we spent the last 10 minutes of the session learning some stretches to help it stay loose.

One of my challenges, it seems, is that while i'm pretty strong overall, some of my core muscles are pretty weak and that is what his focus is on, for this first round of sessions.

I did the stretches this morning, and took a walk, which helped it to loosen up. It doesn't really hurt much, just a bit of tightness.

Pain in the A**! ;-)
    Body Fat 30.5

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Mmmm... Whisky. I'm right behind you on that buddy! I just pre-ordered 2 bottles 40 Creek Heart of Gold Reserve for pickup in September. So excited!
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    If you were closer, I would give you my bottle of The Glenlivet. For some reason even a small amount of whiskey makes me quite ill, which is odd since I grew up drinking it. (Yes, you read that right. I was raised by Scots. There is a reason is it called The Water of Life.) On second thought, that might not be such a nice prezzie.
    Last edited by Siobhan; 06-12-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Well it's the thought that counts! Thanks! Back in 2005 and again in 2010 I spent some time in Ireland and since then really have gotten into Irish Whiskey. I really enjoy it and when I am down to an acceptable size and weight, I may try to enjoy the occasional tipple on special occasions, like days that end with the letter "Y"

But for now I am trying to drink only at social functions, and not more than two drinks. So far it is easy to comply with. This time of year isn't so busy with trade shows and business functions.

I have noticed that when I do drink these days, I don't really feel all that well. I noticed it with both beers at the golf tournament. I guess I am just not used to it any more.
    Body Fat 30.5

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Good on you David for noticing what agrees with you and not. Hopefully you can find some nice drinks that don't have repercussions. We have started making our own meads and wines - not sure how they are going to turn out but the idea is that I know exactly what went into them and therefore I shouldn't get the stuffy nose etc after drinking some wine! I enjoy wine once in a while but it makes me feel bad - hoping the homemade stuff works out well. It is always interesting to look into the really traditional ways some of these drinks were made compared to how they are made now - explains why we feel nasty after drinking them! I think it is awesome that you are doing so well with restricting your drinks!! You go! And I am impressed with your workout stuff - it sounds really good
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Well thanks, Coll! I feel like I'm beginning to get a handle on drinking. I used to think that drinking was prerequisite to anything I did for fun, but that has changed slowly. Now, more and more, fun involves some physical activety and drinking is often not a part of it at all. It feels much better.

Still some tightness in my glut and hamstring where I pulled it. But it feels better. Just in time for tonights turn in the rack! Actually I look forward to each session. One thing though is that I have been really tired! I've been sleeping really well and long. But I am aware of being tired during the day. I hope that is just me getting into better shape.
    Body Fat 30.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And you're probably getting caught up. I know CW says you can't make up for sleep, but in my experience you certainly can. When you get into a deficit you're just going to be tired for awhile and sleep a lot. Now that you're sleeping better, you have some catching up to do. I'm so jealous of your workouts! They must be great! Despite being pretty active, I feel like a doughball. I just don't have the will to do anything about it on my own.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Page 68 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast