Page 66 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 66

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I hope they have a round-robin! We're actually looking at several different clubs, we have one more to see next Sunday. I never imagined myself to be the type to join a club, but I am trying to be more social in general, and to get to play tennis would just be an added benefit.

I somehow turned the volume way down on my phone, which I use for an alarm clock. So I overslept and missed my walk this AM :-(. I'll try to get a short walk in at lunch time today.

Food was good yesterday, I steamed a bunch of veggies and some chicken and then sauteed it in some coconut oils, once off the heat I mixed in some fresh salsa and plain full fat yogurt, thent I cut in an avocado! It was very tasty, but looked like glop.

Eating only once a day means that I get only the one shot to get in a days worth of calories. The mess I made only came up to about 1500, but it was late and I didn't want to eat any more, so I just went to bed.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget us once you join a high-falutin' club! Maybe you can find a Warrior Paleo Tennis Club. (HAHAHAH)
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

"I'm trying, Hank. I'm trying." - Siobhan

Well I didn't find a Warrior Paleo Tennis Club, but I did find a local personal trainer who runs a fitness studio right in my town, who is a Paleo enthusiast when it comes to weight loss and nutrition. I am scheduling a fitness evaluation (Yikes!) with him soon and then I will likely do some one on one personal training with him until I am fit enough to do the group training classes.

His prices are very competative and its 10 minutes away from my house on the way to and from work.

I am hoping that this will work out!
    Body Fat 27.5

That is great! I wish I could hook up with something like that, not likely here on the edge of nowhere. (Not complaining, though!) Let us know how it works out. Sounds like a really good thing for you.

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

I go tomorrow after work for my "fitness assessment" (yikes!).
    Body Fat 27.5

My Assesment is tonight at 7:00. I'm a bit nervous, but in a good way. Here is what the guy wrote to me in setting up the appointment:

"The first step in my process is a fitness assessment, which lasts 30 to 45 minutes. During the assessment, I'll take your weight and bodyfat measurements as well as take you through some cardiovascular and strength training tests. We'll test upper and lower body maximal strength as well as muscular endurance, and we'll go through some core and abdominal strength tests. Lastly, we'll test flexibility and anaerobic capacity. Throughout the assessment, I'll answer any questions that you may have and we'll go over your intended fitness goals. We can also discuss nutrition at that time."

So it seems pretty thorough. I can't imagine that I'll do too well in some areas, but all I want is to become healthier, so anyplace is a start.

I'm not really sure what my fitness goals are. I want to be fit enough to not have to consider my age, weight, or fitness level in choosing any activity and I do want to look good naked! ;-)

I'll go with that.
    Body Fat 27.5

That sounds like a really good assessment, this guy must know what he is doing. I know what my fitness goal is! To do something about my soft middle! I'm not craving a six-pack, but somewhere in between would be good. Let us know how it goes -

He really does know what he is doing! He was looking at me doing some of the exercises and asked if I had any shoulder pain. I said yes, but only in certain movements and when my hands were in certain planes. He said that I have a rotator cuff injury and that we would have to be sure to design a program to gently strengthen that while at the same time avoiding further injury.

It was an exhaustive and exhausting assessment, very thorough. I signed up for an hour of personal training (1 on 1) 3x/week for three months. The price is high, but reasonable. I guess I wish I had the motivation and discipline to do this on my own, but having somebody there to direct me and to motivate me, and to hold me accountable (literally) will be a good thing. Hopefully as my fitness level improves, I'll be able to participate in the group training sessions and other offerings.

So I am pretty happy about the whole thing. It's a nice small facility, not at all fancy, but well equipped. I got there early and he was just finishing up with a group of older people working on pull-ups! Hopefully that would be a group I could join as I get more fit and the risk of injury is less.

When I got home I was as tired as I can ever remember being.

I managed to eat a bit of chicken and a bunch of lettuce from the garden. Then crawled off to bed and slept hard.

It was great!
    Body Fat 27.5

That is fantastic! I am seriously jealous. Would love to have something like that. Of course there is personal training at the Y, but I don't think it is of great quality. I wouldn't dare mention paleo there. Probably get asked to leave. (That is an exaggeration.)

I must admit that when he suggested the Paleo diet for clients who wanted to lose weight I was sold right then and there. But he seems really knowledgeable... I was worried about getting some juicehead who was just into weights.

I wanted somebody who would shepard me through getting fit slowly and without injury and so far it seems like he's a good fit!
    Body Fat 27.5

Page 66 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast