Page 63 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 63

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    See, I should be a life coach! (Joking) OTOH, I TRY to be mercurial and brooding but I never manage it. I'm rather dull and even keeled. Not a woman of mystery at all.

Great on the walking! Nine miles! I should try that. I haven't walked for a long, long time in ages. It sounds fun. We have some trails that connect - I could have a friend help me stage my car. Or I could keep it simple and just do a loop. No problem with that.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Nice job on the walking and commitment. Since February I have been doing what I call 10 mile Tuesday. I have a treadmill so I get on off and on all day with the intent of doing, at least, a total of 10 miles.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    So I just downloaded and read "The fat switch" by Richard J. Johnson, MD

Interesting, though nothing really very new except his description of Uric Acid as a contributor to fat gain. But after a lot of pages of discussion, the practical advise he gives is pretty close to CW leaning a bit toward Paleo, but just a bit. He is a proponent of little or no food during the day for weight loss, which I'm all for.

He's also a proponent of coffee and dark chocolate so that's good, but he's not a proponent of beer... Damn... So I haven't had any beer in a couple of days and I guess I will try to curb it as much as possible and will see how my weight loss goes.

Dinner was half a pound of grass-fed hamburger sautéed with 2 cups of steamed kale and then some strawberries and a piece of dark chocolate. No idea what my calories were today. I don't really care to be honest. I guess I am sort of anti-metrology when it comes to my weight loss just lately.

I felt pretty good today! Little soreness and good energy level!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

So today I am fasting entirely. I didn't start out intending to fast, but dinner isn't going to happen because I have my drawing class after work and last week it was canceled, so they are adding an extra hour to make up for it.

I really don't feel like I want to eat a heavy meal at 11:00 when I am likely to get home. It's really okay because I'm not at all hungry. Tomorrow I might be a bit tired, but that will be an easy day for me.
    Body Fat 27.5

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Man, you are doing so great!!

Thanks Judy! :-)

Today is a resting day, Since Saturday I've walked nearly 20 miles and lifted weights every day. I don't do the same routine everyday, but work on shoulders and arms one day chest and back on another and lower body the next, each getting one day that leaves a day of total rest. Today. I've only been doing it a week and with pretty light weights, focusing on my form, so I don't hurt myself. As I get into better shape I am considering hiring a personal trainer to help. My understanding of weight training is 20 years out-of-date, so likely there is new and better thinking to get where I want to go.

But for now I am sticking with what has worked for me in the past. Believe it or not, there was a time when I was quite buff. I was never thin, but I was strong and muscular, I don't really care so much about being muscular in the body-building sense, but I do miss being strong. I am, of course, still pretty strong. But as a young man I was very, very strong. It's a part of my self-image and I am not happy to lose it, certainly not when it is within my power to retain it.

I also feel that muscularity and physical strength will keep me looking and feeling younger as I age. I can already feel the difference after just this short time. I am sleeping better, I have less aches and pains and more energy, despite all of the walking and weight-lifting. There will be time to fine-tune my fitness regimen later, right now I am glad that I am enjoying SOMETHING!

I'm not sure what is happening on the eating front. I haven't eaten anyting much since Sunday night and I am not at all hungry and quite frankly, the thought of eating anything, is not very appealing. I will eat something tonight, no matter what.

One thing I will say about my journey here with PB is that I am quite attuned to the way I feel abut eating, and the way I feel seasonally. During the winter I was really hibernating, depressed, no energy and really wanting to stuff myself with carby comfort foods. Now that the weather is better my whole outlook has changed. All I want, when I want anything at all is meat and fresh greens (what would be available to me now). I really think that there is something to this, eating seasonally.

Anyway, we move forward!
    Body Fat 27.5

That is great, David, you have learned so much. (Me too!) It's really an amazing thing to discover this at this point in our lives. Of course I have to be the weird one, who fights slight depression with the days get longer and is very happy in the darkness of winter. I was so sad yesterday in the lovely sunshine, realizing I wouldn't be able to walk among the trees for much longer - not until fall when the brush dies back. But I will try to enjoy the summer.

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Hi Siobhan,

Yeah, some stuff is getting through my very thick skull! I guess my mantra should really be "this (depression) is temporary and things will get better." Not in a fatalistic sense, I can make steps to make it better, but it does come in cycles, and then it goes. Every. Single. Time.

The trouble is when I am in the middle of whatever problem I have, it's hard for me to see how it will end and that way lies dispair.

In any case, being my best self is the key to being in a better place when depression comes, so it is not so deep and more easily thrown off.

I've been overweight and unhappy about it since the age of seven. It's hard to break old habits, but I really feel I'm on the right track!

I hope you can find a way to enjoy the summer. Last year, when I'd lost enough weight so I wasn't mortified by the idea of going out in public in a bathing suit, I re-discovered how much I love the beach, so I am looking forward to that.
    Body Fat 27.5

Thank you for reminding me - we do have a lovely beach here on the peninsula, tucked away and private, that I meant to visit last year but never did. I will make it a point to do that. In fact I need to schedule some regular activities of that type to make myself happier.

I really do think everybody (certainly me) need to schedule regular activities that make us happy. For me at least that includes some down time. Time alone with little or nothing planned. We are all so busy with stuff to do, SWMBO and Boy have such busy schedules, with Baseball, soccer, Tai kwan do, piano lessons, Boy Scouts and an exhaustive birthday party and play date schedule, that they never have time to just be. She herself has a demanding job and an active social life of her own.

She is happy that they have a busy social schedule but they are always stressed and rushed getting fom one thing to the next, it drives me crazy. I've had to put my foot down on several occasions. I no longer go to the Outlaws every Sunday. I take it as a day to just relax.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 05-21-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    Body Fat 27.5

Page 63 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast