Page 6 of 103 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 6

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    So having our houseguest here hasn't been as bad as I imagined it to be. Last night we went to a Well known Seafood place here on the shoreline, lots of fried foods, but I had a half dozen cherrystone clams, and a nice salmon steak with veggies, hold the potato.

She's originally from England and had been visiting home in the past weeks including a tour of Europe and brought us some lovely chocolates and I had one of those. I'm glad that SWMBO eats chocolate like its her full time job so that they will quickly go and I will not be tempted.

I just got back from my walk, today was a sprinting day. I'm up to 15-second sprints with a 5-second warmup and cooldown with a 120 second walk between I do this 8X. It felt good, my stride length is improving and there is no lower back pain, just a nice healthy burn toward the end. I can't believe how good it feels to run full out again, even if it is just for a few seconds.

I sometimes have flying dreams, and always these dreams start with me running fast, then I just lift up in the air and fly. So the feeling while actually running is exhilarating. So far I've managed to keep my feet on the ground. Gravity is after all a law, not just a good idea.

Well our houseguest went home yesterday morning. I had a work (and then pool) party at my cousin's house all day, we're fixing up her property so we can have our company picnic there on Friday, so we worked until about 2:00, then went swimming and cooked out some shish-kabobs, good and primal.

But I was out late so today is a rest day, on account of I woke up too late to do anything. Maybe some strength training tonight.

I must be getting into better shape, because last week when I did sprinting I was all stiff and sore, this AM though I am fine after yesterday's sprints.

Today I will fast until dinner.

Update: Well I spoke too soon it seems. While I don't have any muscle soreness from the sprinting, my joints and tendons and ligaments and connective stuff around my hips are a bit sensitive...not like an injury or anything, just like they were used hard and need to catch up. It's not a bad feeling really.
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 07-30-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Update

Food today was good! Skipped breakfast, but went to lunch with one of my coworkers. I had a salad with chicken, I skipped the dressing because it was too sweet.

Dinner was a bunch of leftovers, veggies mostly chopped up and made into a big omelet. I also had some salmon and beef, yum!

Going to bed early tonite, will walk in the AM.

Hmmm. I'm a bit discouraged. I haven't weighed myself since last Friday when I weighed 251. Since then I have been 95% primal and careful about eating, exercise has been on target and the only thing I let slide was too many cherries over the weekend and several glasses of wine on Sunday at a picnic.

This morning I weighed myself and I weighed 256. It doesn't make any sense. Same scale, same time of day, I suppose my hydration level could be better now than last week, but 5lbs worth? That's over half a gallon of water...

My clothes still are loose and I look thinner, and I feel good, so I soldier on, I just don't get it. It's the same with every diet I was ever on. These inexplicable weight gains, when I am not hyper vigilant.

But, undaunted I go on.

Boy, miss a day and you find your journal 5 pages back!

So yesterday was kind of a lost day at eating... I was on the road for just the day, lunch was at a nice Irish Pub, I had a salad with Chicken that wasn't too bad, Primal-wise, but we did get a hummus appetizer that I had some of, including the Pita bread (roughly a third of the Pita), Tsk, tsk...

Dinner was on the road. Chinese. The steamed chicken and vegetables were fine, but I sorta lost it with pork lo mein... Sigh. Wine was had too. Not the best of days, but today is better. Fasting until dinner.

We move on...

Food was good yesterday, fasted until dinner then ate well, broiled chicken and salmon and a big assed salad and some macadamia nuts and walnuts, a small piece of watermelon and no wine.

Weighed myself this morning and I was 255.5 so I guess Mondays inexplicable weight gain was real, because I am losing it again bit by bit. Still don't get it. But I feel good eating the way I do and despite being bummed out at the sudden weight gain I'm not going to make any changes.

So today I was intending to eat lunch, but my lunch date backed out so...poop! Guess I am fasting again. Funny, when I set out to fast I don't get hungry around lunch time. But now that I was expecting to eat and didn't I'm ravenous...

It's all about expectation.

Coffee helps! :-)

This week has been a challenge for me. First there was the weird weight gain, then I was bummed enough by it that I really wasn't careful about what I was eating, I still was eating Primally for the most part, but eating too much and drinking too much.

Interspersed between all this was business lunches and yesterday was our company picnic.

So yesterday I skipped breakfast. For our picnic we all leave at noon and head over to the owners house on the lake. It's set up with a big tent and tables and we cook up lobsters and steaks and there are all sorts of sides, shrimp, clams raw and steamed, all sorts of salads and desserts. Of course lots of wine, beer and drinks.

So I always open the clams for raw clams and I ate a dozen of those. No cocktail sauce. I had a half dozen shrimp and a big steak. That's about all I had. No dessert. But now the drinks...

So, careful reader, you are no doubt shaking your head and saying, "Wait just a minute! Aren't you the very same guy who said he was giving up drinking?". I am... But in this I failed. I drank Guinness, a lot of it. My young cousins, all in their late 20's wanted to challenge me in drinking car bombs. I managed to win barely, I always was good at shooting beer, it is a skill and I'll thank you not to sneer. :-). It being the Olympics we ran three heats and some trials. In my defense, all of this drinking took place over an eight hour time frame, and I never really got very drunk. Yay for me! I stopped drinking and we all went for a swim and sobered up so we could shoot off fireworks. It was really fun.

Today I steamed up some of the leftover cherry stone clams and sautéed them with butter, garlic and spinach and ate that for breakfast, and drank all the clam juice! Mmmmm.

It's hot and humid today... I'll probably organize my desk and clean the cellar. Fun is...

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I know what you mean = drinking is a stumbling block for many of us. I don't even drink very much, max 8 oz. of wine on a big day, usually half that. But I just don't seem to be able to give it up. Now, drinking 4 oz. of wine four days a week probably doesn't seem like a really big deal, but I hate craving anything. I know that for a lot of guys, giving up beer most of the time is really hard, and for women it seems to be desserts -
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I know what you mean, Siobhan. Beer is hard for me to give up, I tried switching over to wine, which I also like, but the sulfites bother me and I haven't found an organic type that I like that is widely available. Hard liquor has been easy for me to give up, I don't really like it all that well, except for Irish whiskey (Powers).

But I love me some Guinness, and that's been hard to say no to, harder than bread, pasta and sweets of all types. I will just have to try to be moderate in my consumption. I'll figure it out I am sure.
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 08-04-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Page 6 of 103 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast