Page 57 of 116 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 57

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    "Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one" - Stella Adler

So true, at least for me. And that is why I purchased a painting of a sunflower that really touched me even though I could barely afford groceries at the time. It's on the wall right next to me, above my computer so I can look at it 100 times a day. And the same is true of the dozen-odd other paintings I have here in my small apartment.

Did you ever just want to draw all over your walls? I wish I could do that.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

David, I'm probably overstepping myself here, but do you have someone to talk to about these feelings? Can you talk to SWMBO? This is really none of my business, but I have often noticed that spouses can be difficult to share certain feelings with. It seems to me that men often have good friends for watching sports or drinking beer, but can't really talk to them.

I'm female, but in my real life I have a lot problems sharing problems and thoughts that can be perceived as negative with my friends, so I can relate to this sort of thing.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    I do and I don't have people I can talk to. SWMBO isn't really very helpful, she would like to be, I think, but she's very practical, and looks for simple fixes to problems (often the answers are simple, but it's difficult getting to the answers).

In the past, I have seen therapists with good results, mostly.

You're right about male friends, we rarely get to a deep personal level. At least not when sober and drunken confessions are so hard to recall, hungover, in the morning.

I have had women friends who I could talk to, but to bare one's soul completely has for me (at least) invited romantic involvement, which muddies the water and adds new problems.

I do keep a journal, which does help, at least to crystallize my own thinking and this journal helps also. This past winter was so much worse (for me) than others, some of the reasons were apparent to me, but being shaken to the core early-on by the Newtown Massacre didn't really occur to me until the feelings I was feeling about the Boston bombing reminded me and then it became clearer.

Drawing and painting does help. I've wandered away from Art for the past 25 years, but at one time it was the only thing I wanted to do. I went to art school and later went for theater. But life, children relationships all distracted me. I'm trying to get back into it slowly.

Here's a recent painting, entiltled "Evening News"

Evening news.jpg
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

That is beautiful! Two things really strike me: your use of color and the superior composition. Obviously you have a gift. I hope you stay with it and see where it takes you.

My own artistic talent is limited, but had circumstances been different in my life, I think I would have been an excellent agent. I remember sitting in Art Appreciation 101 as a freshman at university, listening to the professor drone on about the Great Masters, etc., and thinking, "How would I market that piece?" and "I think I could have made Van Gogh a success in his own lifetime!"

I have the same problems with my male friends; often I think the rules are well established, but in confiding things, those rules get blurred somehow. And unfortunate circumstance. Although as a woman, I can have gay male friends who are shockingly good judges of tragic romance.

My advice, although you didn't ask for it: work at your art and start entering shows. Or maybe you are already doing this?

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    What a lovely piece, David. I really like the interior illumination contrasted with the sky, just nestled into the dark shell of the house.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Quiet beauty.. And looks like a man painted it.
    Keep it going.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the kind words, I haven't painted in months, but I've been drawing. Funny, JudyCr, I once entered a local show, some years ago now, with a pair of daffodil paintings that I had done from flowers growing in my garden. During the opening reception I was listening to some of the comments people made, which were generally positive when this pair of women looked at The pair. I could tell that they liked them, but the only remark I could hear was "You can tell a man painted it because they are so masculine looking!" I thought it an interesting comment.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    D, I saved the image in my iPad, showed it to DH where it took up whole screen, he said, very nice, I like the lamp on

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Beautiful painting David! I love the contrasts in the blue versus yellow light inside and then the shadows and night sky - a very peaceful picture to my eyes anyway. Thank you for sharing that with us - I bet you could sell a bunch of pictures!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do you still have the painting, or have you sold it? It would make a wonderful print.