Page 56 of 103 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 56

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So this morning I had carnitas for breakfast! Yep, they're that good. I did spice them up with Penzey's Chili powder and some cayenne and more Celtic sea salt. I like things spicy but not really hot-spicy. I also couldn't discern the taste of the cinnamon, so I gave it an extra sprinkle. That was the last pork shoulder roast I had from the pastured pig I got last fall, I think I'll see if I can buy some more shoulders. I think they're less money than many other cuts and I like it as well as any other pork dish. I have enough left for several more lunches too!

So I did manage to get off of my backside and take a good long walk, the weather was warmish and though there was quite a breeze over the water, it wasn't biting, just fresh. I now fit in my vest again that I bought last summer for walking, holds my phone and ID and stuff, but isn't at all bulky. It's a bit snug, but still comfortable. Last time I put it on was in February and I couldn't zip it at all, so there is progress :-)

It felt good to walk, I need to do it more regularly. I used to wake up early and walk, I think I need to start that up again.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Yesterday's food totals were good! Macros were calories: 2096, Fat: 145.7 g, Carbs: 27.7 g, and Protein: 161 g. A bit high on the protein, I suppose. After the carnitas, I roasted a chicken and made bone broth about of the carcass and bits. I was really pleasantly filled with what I ate yesterday and am now in mild ketosis!

I likely won't eat until dinner, because I have a business dinner tonight. Plus I'm really not all that hungry. I've already looked at the menu where I am going and they have a steak salad. The people I'm going with are not drinkers so I will likely have one Guinness and that's it.

I'm in a pretty good mood today, despite it being Monday and all. :-)
    Body Fat 27.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    It's the ketosis, a great mood enhancer!

Glad you and your family like the carnitas. How could anyone not like it? I agree it makes a great breakfast, in fact that is what I had for breakfast myself all weekend and this morning too. Some pork and a fried egg. Kept me going all day with no hunger or energy drops. I load on the spices also, the recipe doesn't call for nearly enough IMHO. Some people are revolted by the cinnamon, but I think judicious use of it really makes the flavor deliciously complex and special.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I try on the codes! But what is SWMBO? Amazing. I looked it up and there it is. Been reading your journal backwards. Probably should start at the beginning. Hope you're having a great week!

6:07 p.m. I did it. I started your journal at the beginning and read through it today whenever I had time. It is wonderful. I read through the sad times and tragic times and happy and joyous times. It was quite a read and very inspiring. I am glad that warmer weather is ahead for you with much more light and look forward to reading more of your entries.
    Last edited by lopisheep; 04-10-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Hope you're having a good week, David, and things are swimming along smoothly. I imagine the carnitas are gone by now!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Whew! Well I'm back! We had a last-minute opportunity to exhibit at a small trade show in Boston so I spent the week there. It was lots of fun actually. Though I am located equidistantly from Boston and New York, I rarely go to Boston and regularly go to NYC.

But Boston was really very nice. Great food! Easy to eat Primal, at least in the nicer restaurants. I had some beef carpaccio in a little sidewalk cafe that was one of the best appetizers of my life! I had some great Sushi on Newbury Street and since the people I was with were from Boston, I went to some nice places off of the beaten path.

lopisheep- Thanks for the kind words and welcome to my journal! :-)

Siobhan- Yep, the carnitas were long gone when I got home last night. I'll be making more soon I think! :-)
    Body Fat 27.5

I am very jealous! Boston is a great city. And a good place to be primal (although not as good as Maine - no raw dairy).

I'm going to eat the rest of my carnitas tonight.

Not much to report. Food is okay, still cant get my butt out the door to walk much. Mostly wanted to post so I don't have to look 20 pages back to find my journal whan I do have something to say! :-)

I hope nobody was personally affected by the bombings in Boston, and I hope for Peace.

David
    Body Fat 27.5

I have trouble motivating myself to walk for real exercise, although I like to stroll around the property here and I live on a beautiful road. The trouble with the road is that it is HILLY HILLY HILLY. Basically it has no flat spots at all. It's just a bit too vigorous all the time.

Feeling horrible about Boston. I know many people there, as I am sure you do also.

Yeah, so I spent the whole day feeling sad and discouraged about Boston, wanting to curl up in a ball and eat food that was bad for me. I didn't really want to talk about it, because it made the horror too real, too close.

I felt exactly the way I felt right after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown. That was Dec 14th, about the time I became depressed and abandoned eating well. I assumed it was my typical SAD BS, but it was more.

Apparently horror, sadness and the senseless slaughter of innocent people makes me want to sit on my couch and eat and drink bad foods and liquor. Slow suicide.

At least I know this about myself now, that's got to be good for something. Seeing all of the heroic people, how they selflessly risked their own lives to help others, that encourages me. Helps with the sadness. But I guess it takes time.

The night of the bombing, Monday, I had my first figure drawing class in the new term. Somehow drawing from the nude helped too. Escaping the cold, hard, world, filled with anguish and suffering and endeavoring to to draw a beautiful warm, naked woman somehow made me feel better. The drawings I did were better than usual. Something Primal there too; just on paper instead of a cave wall.

Picasso once said that what he learned from African Masks and other forms of so called Primitivism was that, "Painting is not an aesthetic process; it's a form of magic that interposes itself between us and the hostile universe" Now I get it.
    Body Fat 27.5

Page 56 of 103 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast