Page 54 of 103 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 54

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I guess it also depends on where you have the most temptations - if beer and/or drinking is a problem, I imagine that is harder to deal with on the road, where you don't have distractions and where you are used to throwing back a few. Of course, I can see the other side as well, where it is easier to stay away from the stuff when you are in a different environment. And being away from a non-primal home can be easier eating-wise.

I'm thinking back a few years ago when I was married, and my husband did a lot of the grocery shopping. He would come home with cakes and pies and cream horns and crackers and...you get the picture. I would go shopping and come home with pork chops and steaks and fish and wine. I must have been primal before I ever knew it. Having said that, I am and always will be a carboholic, forever on guard against that insulin-busting macro...
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Carboholic! That's exactly what I am! Bread is probably what I miss the most, I was never a big rice/potato/pasta guy but I liked breads, all kinds, and I baked my own regularly. Sigh... But what I cheated on during the winter was sweets even more than bread. While alcohol has been an issue, I've really cut down on that. I never have drinks home alone anymore and when out, rarely do I have more than two. Compared to a year ago it borders on tea-totaling!

Took Boy to his first Little League practice tonight. I froze my a$$ off! C'mon spring!!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

I was always a bread addict and although I don't miss eating bread I miss baking it. Baking bread is really fun and therapeutic. I would make more paleo-type bread, but...see above comments about carboholism. I even had a fairly good idea about a diet centered around bread - you would bake a small loaf in a mini pan, and that would be the mainstay of your diet. You would cut it into a certain number of slices and there would be a long list of toppings that would make up a balanced diet; sweet, savories, veg, etc. Very CW. I was very into the no-knead bread that you mix up in a big batch and bake up as you need it. A couple of friends were very, very encouraging to me to develop this further but I never did. Just as well!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Yes I do miss bread making, and pie making. I've done both for the family, but without the same joy, because I now feel I am contributing to the poor health of those I love.

Last night it was SWMBO's turn to cook, and by that I mean that she went out and got chicken salads from a restaurant somewhere, fortunately it was good. Boy had his first Little League practice after work and it was cold with a biting wind. But he is impervious to cold as long as he's moving and he had a great time. I was under-dressed and got thoroughly chilled, since I was standing still, chatting with the other parents bundled up like they were about to summit Everest. Coming home to cold salad wasn't wonderful, though the salad was very good.

All in all it was a pretty good day, eating wise. A bit light on total calories maybe. I ate a handful of nuts, I have big hands and a handful for me is well over an ounce. That brought my calorie total up to acceptable levels.

I have gotten into a rut in terms of dinners. SWMBO brings home Fajitas and Salads a couple of times a week and the nights I cook it's Tikka Masala or grilled (broiled) steak or pork. I used to round this out with a pasta and a pizza night (to Boy's delight) but no more (to Boy's dismay). I need to look through some of the cook books for quick, easy meals to make. During the winter we live on soups and stews, but I always want bread with those, so I've stopped making them.

Any ideas? I'm no master chef, but I can cook pretty competantly, what I lack is the imagination to combine healthful foods in an attractive way.
    Body Fat 27.5

Everything this woman makes is wonderful. I've made lots of her recipes, everything is great.

Paleo Recipes | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo

Are you on board with carnitas? I've eaten so much slow-cooked pork I'm surprised I don't have a curly tail. You can eat this with sour cream, avocado, salsa, etc., and Boy and SWMBO can have it in tortillas.

The carnitas are spectacular. I think I have mentioned this before, but I use Mark's recipe with a couple of changes. I use chicken broth instead of water, I add a pinch of cinnamon instead of a stick (be very careful with cinnamon), and I add smoked paprika and red chili flakes. I don't measure any of the spices, just use however much I think I need. Also, this is a good recipe to use bone-in meat because it is cooked until it all falls apart and is easy to remove the bone.

And here is Mark's recipe: Crispy Carnitas | Mark's Daily Apple

Of course you can also make it in a crockpot. Enjoy!

I'm going to make a batch of them over the weekend :-)

Last night SWMBO texted me to pick up a few things at the store and that she had brought more salads home. At the store, they had just put out a bunch of rotissary chickens, which I typically avoid because they are usually glazed with sugary or chemical glazes. But this time they also had half turkey breasts just roasted with no glaze so I got one of those. It was a bit dry, but really pretty good. The salads SWMBO brings home never have much meat in them and I have to eat around all the croutons and dried cranberries, but it really was pretty good.

It ended being a very light day calorie wise, hard to quantify, due to the salad, but certainly not more than 1200 - 1500 calories. Today I'll do better and get up over 2000.

Thanks for the links and recipe ideas Siobhan! :-)
    Body Fat 27.5

Okay so I've been looking through the Nom nom paleo site and through the recipes here on MDA and I'm now really very hungry!! 45 minutes to lunch, Lol.

Slow days at work are a real danger!
    Body Fat 27.5

I just looked through her recipe list and counted the ones I've made - eight! And I've made all of them more than once. I really like her site because although I consider myself an accomplished cook, primal cooking, particularly vegetables, is a little out of my comfort zone. A little thing like knowing how to properly broil zucchini and eggplant, or bake a sweet potato perfectly is really helpful. And she is big on fresh herbs and very light on dairy, also a plus. I wish I had an iPad! One complaint I have is that her site doesn't provide printable versions of recipes, not so good for me. I can print them, but I end up with oddly spaced pages and pics that don't come out. Whinge, whinge, first world problems! Anyway, enjoy. And I KNOW you will like the carnitas.

I love my iPad. Funny, I was always a PC guy. But I got a second-hand iPad I from our IT guy and loved it. When it came time to get a new phone, I got an iPhone. Then at work they got me an iMac for my desktop and an Macbook Air for traveling. So now I'm fully Apple. When my car was broken into and the b*stards took Boys iPod touch, I gave him the old iPad and bought myself a new one. Of all of the computers that I have (at least at home) I bet I use the iPad most.

I got the cheapest one, because I don't store media on it and I use the wireless both here at work and at home.

I had Kindle Fire for awhile but didn't like it. I use the Kindle app on the iPad and it works fine. I read so much more now, having it.
    Body Fat 27.5

Page 54 of 103 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast