Page 50 of 113 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 50

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You put your finger right on it - I know this is the way to eat (and live) and I look forward to eating this way the rest of my life, unlike previously when I would be in a bit of a panic wondering how I was going to maintain an unsatisfying diet and ever-increasing amounts of chronic cardio so as not to regain weight - which of course never worked. And I will always be a carb-a-holic. Knowing that makes it easier though, as knowing one's weakness and what to do about countering it is very powerful.

I'm coming up on my one-year anniversary! If you would have told me a year ago that I would be 40 lbs lighter and constantly eliciting comments about my 'anorexia' I would have thought you were crazy!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Wow 40 lbs! Thats wonderful!

So yesterday was my first really controlled Primal eating day, though I've been 75% - 80% all week.

I cannot shake this cold! I'm thinking (I often over think things) that catching this cold was a tipping point. I get sick and tired of being sick and tired and vow to make changes. While I was eating Primally I didn't get sick (I don't think) but this Winter I've had two colds and the flu! So it is useful impetus to get on the straight and narrow path again.

Yesterday I slept 10 hours! I thought it would help more than it appears to have. I'll do it again tonight and every night until I am well again.

I am also going to take some easy walks to see if some movement will shake things up a bit. First one, today at lunch. The snow is gone from most of my lunchtime route so it's safe.

Onward!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

I think you have an excellent plan, David. And I think you're right about the illnesses. In my own n=1 experience being primal is huge in terms of avoiding colds, etc. Despite being in the thick of things during this rather trying cold and flu season, I sailed through with no problem. I know one person's experience is hardly definitive, but hey, it worked and I'm not going to complain. Out of nine people in my department, I was the only one who did not spend at least a week being quite ill.

Cold today but very sunny. When I look out the windows at the fir trees, it could be summer! Still, it is not my imagination that spring is in the air, despite the cold.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Well I did walk during lunch! Yay! I did it with a vigor that surprised me. It's as you describe it here too- cold and crisp and sunny. My walk takes me near to the water for a mile or so. There's a row of fancy homes blocking the view of it, but the coast peeks through here and there. It looks like a beautiful day out there. It was nice, and I returned breathing heavily with a nice glow. I think I am feeling a bit better too, cold-wise :-)
    Body Fat 30.5

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Mmm... I would kill to live near water

I'll have to settle for out in the country one day! I'd be more than ok with that!
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

I have country AND water! (Sorry, it is not nice to gloat.) Of course that means I don't have things like Applebees and Wal-Mart. Which makes me happy!

Glad you had a good walk and are feeling better.

Here's the turmeric tea: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cream...#axzz2NdqkYfTS

You can add anything you want to it, cinnamon, honey, vanilla. Use black pepper, though, not the cayenne. You need the substance in black pepper to release the good stuff in the turmeric. If you have some peppercorns around, just put a few in to steep.

Also there is naiadknight's Kill Everything tea - Tazo Calm and any green tea. I drank that with religious fervor during the worst of the flu season.
    Last edited by Siobhan; 03-15-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Yeah, unfortunately the glimpses of the water are the only thing that the walk has going for it, the rest is through a salt marsh causeway (which is pretty) and then the balance is right on route 1. I half expect to be splattered by some truck going 60 miles an hour over a small bridge where there is no shoulder at all. I wait until there is a break in traffic one direction or another then dash across. It's less dangerous than I make it sound, but it is a little nerve wracking at times.

Another good day eating, just over 1500 calories, I skipped breakfast because I wasn't hungry. I worked out in my shop which was cold and I'm not sure it was the best thing for my cold as I feel worse this evening :-(

But I do not feel bloated or gassy, which is good.

So I have decided I'm not going to weigh myself at all, at least not for a long time. Last time around I got kinda obsessive with the weigh-ins and got grumpy when they didn't go well. Since I'm not so good with moderation, I will just not weigh myself for awhile. I think I'll know when I am at or near my old low weight, just by the way clothes fit and for awhile I would really just like to focus on clean eating and getting some regular exercise.

I lit a fire in the fireplace and its burning away nicely. That's all I can think of.
    Body Fat 30.5

I have the same problem here, I live on a beautiful, beautiful road along the water but it is very treacherous - basically a 1 1/2 lane country road with no shoulder. Not many cars but the ones that are there whiz along at killer speed, lots of blind curves. And drivers generally aren't looking for walkers along the road.

I think the weighing moratorium is a good idea. It is easy to get so caught up the numbers and stress about them, which leads to bad things.

I have been trying to light my woodstove for almost an hour now. Every time I turn my back it goes out!

So far today's eating has been good. I skipped breakfast because I wasn't hungry and I'll be having corned beef and cabbage with the outlaws tonight and will likely eat more than I probably should. I had sort of planned not to eat at all until then but while grocery shopping (oh did I forget to mention that I am buying and cooking the dinner too? Since I'm half Irish I'm qualified apparently), I saw some beautiful strawberries and a 7-ounce package of Applegate farms incurred ham. So I ate it for lunch. Tonight's dinner would be okay if I don't go crazy with potatoes. No promises. Also an Irish coffee will likely be had, there's no rationalizing that, except that it is in deference to my heritage... Happy St. Paddy's Day!
    Body Fat 30.5

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh yes, I wore green to church even though I don't have a drop of Irish. Not even my big toe. In fact I am wearing green right now. I do like corned beef though. And I used to like Irish soda bread and I made an excellent loaf of rye back in the day. Makes me kind of queasy thinking about it now.

Page 50 of 113 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast