Page 49 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 49

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Good to see you back, David. Onward!

DCarr10760 is online now Senior Member
    Hi Folks!

Thanks for all the welcome-backs! Yesterday was a good day, eating wise. Today has been too. I haven't really been eating too much due to still having a cold and I believe a sinus infection :-( But as far as food choices go, all has been Primal so far.

Most of my cheating in the dark months has been bread related, that and Italian Ices (odd choice of cheat foods for the dead of Winter). Apart from those things, my eating has been reasonably Primal, subject to my normal challenges (alcohol).

I never really stopped eating healthy foods, just started reintroducing unhealthy ones, so I hope that the re-entry into healthful eating will be easy.

Excercise is where I fell most fully off the wagon. I haven't taken an intentional walk this year yet. About the time of the blizzard I wanted to but the snow put an end to that. Ive had bursts of activity (shoveling snow, helping folks move, airport travel, but all too little and nothing intentional.

As soon as the rest of the snow melts and the rain stops I'll get back to it.
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 03-12-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I have the same odd craving - in the winter I always want ice cream or some type of frozen dessert concoction. I gave into it one time, I bought a pint of locally-made coconut ice cream and powered through it in two days. But you know, it wasn't even that good. And the food co-op has a blood orange sorbet which is wonderful but exorbitantly expensive. So I usually buy a blood orange instead.

Can you do some exercise with the offspring?
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Okay for me it's potatoes.......
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Siobhan- Cute! "Powered through it in two days." Sadly, for me thats typically a single serving. We try not to keep ice cream in the house at all because I'm not good at controlling myself with it. The Italian Ices are purchaced for boy (ostensibly) but fall prey to everyone in the house. I haven't had one since Sunday, so...

Pedidoc- Well that is healthier than the bread I think. I like potatos just fine and if they were around me always, cooked and ready to eat (like bread is) I would likely prefer them. SWMBO does lunch meetings as part of her job and there is often leftover food, which she brings home. Often this includes white flour tortillas, which Boy likes. Having a stack of these always at the ready has been problematic for me as it is easy to grab one or two of these at every meal or snack, to wrap anything healthy I might otherwise be eating. I was up to 6 - 8 a day, which is nearly 1000 calories of garbage. I was carb cycling big time with those. ugh...

Today my cold symptoms are a bit better and I slept better last night. Its a Sunny Day, here in CT! so it gets better by degrees.

All I can ask.
    Body Fat 27.5

Hah, well I am not a very big person! Isn't it amazing how those carbs creep in and up? Funny how fats and protein just don't do that. Especially when you consider how calorie dense fats are, in the absence of carbs you just can't eat that much of it.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

It is amazing! I was eating one of the tortillas last week with some chili and was finishing one up and while eating it I realized, they really have very little flavor, so I guess that what I like about them is the chewyness, and the convenience. In winter I just don't want to take the time to do much prep. There they are, sitting neatly stacked in their bag.

Except for too many carbs in the form of bread, and sweets, the rest of my eating is still pretty Primal so there isn't too much to undo, thankfully.

Last night, on my way home, I stopped for the first time at the fancy new meat market that opened up downtown. They have nice looking and very pricey meats. They have a few cuts that were marked grass fed but the price was 23 bucks a pound for strips! Yikes. I have a freezer filled with GFB averaging $5/lb. Still, I decided to buy 2 small steaks to give it a try. But when I got home SWMBO had brought fancy chicken salads from a lunch she organised that was under-attended. So the steaks will be tried tonight! :-)

As for exercising, I've decided to start walking again. This morning I drove along my usual route on my way to work and it is probably 90% clear of snow. We had huge plow drifts following the blizzard in February that will probably still be around at Easter! But yesterday I actually felt like walking, which hasn't happened in months.
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 03-14-2013 at 07:02 AM.
    Body Fat 27.5

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back David!! So glad you have survived the winter blues and are seeing the light again! I would imagine that it is very hard to avoid things like tortillas when you are presented with them and they are so convenient! I saw somewhere that someone uses fried egg whites to make a tortilla type wrap ... I have been thinking of trying it since tortilla fillings are so yummy. Glad you are feeling more like walking - I have had the flu and am also thinking of starting with a nice gentle walk this afternoon ... the kids are itching to get out on their scooters
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Ah, walking, the antidote to most of our ills! I am pleased to be doing a bit more of it myself now that the ground is visible!

The convenience and the texture of carb-y things are quite a winning combo. I have given in and am making tapioca cheese bread rounds to make sammies and even to toast and eat with butter. I was afraid to do this because I would eat them ALL in short order, but allowing myself to have one a day seems to be working. I don't go mad when they come out of the oven as I used to when they were a sometime treat.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well just knowing that you can eat a pint of ice-cream over the course of two days shows me that you have an iron will. Mine is... somewhat less strong :-/

Though, in my own defense, when I am fully commited to eating correctly I can ignore or avoid the temptations easily enough. But when I fall off the wagon for whatever reason I do have a history of binge eating. It's really self destructive.

I guess the biggest difference for me is that I am convinced PB/Paleo is the way to go forever, where in the past each time I gained weight back after a successful diet I'd try some new one- essentially starting over.
    Body Fat 27.5

Page 49 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast