Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 2

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Ahhh the weekend! Though it was a pretty good week, really, productive at work and good on the eating program. I got several beach evenings in. I am super fair skinned, so if I want a healthy tan I have to go really slow, which means a few minutes in the sun unless it's early or late in the day. Even then it's not actually a tan, but I freckle, and these converge into a pointallistic sorta tan, kind of like a Seurat painting.

But it was fun.

Two things I learned this week: I seem to stop Losing weight if I eat too much fruit. A glass of wine, daily, if it's just one, seems not to hurt efforts. If it's a whole bottle of wine, it does.

It's amazing how I can discover the obvious!

So I have broken through the 260 barrier! Yay! This morning the scale read 258.4. I weigh myself daily, I know the pitfalls in this, because my weight does fluctuate, but I don't freak out if my weight goes up a pound or two, I like to see how what I eat, drink, and how much or little I exercise affects my weight. I can see that I've lost weight, and that my clothes fit better, and that is what really counts.

Raining here...but it looks like it will clear up, I'll take my walk a bit later.

Exercise...

This is harder for me than changing my diet is. I like the approach, which I interpret is less is more, but still some is important. Funny, I am not at all a couch potato. I don't own a television set, SWMBO has a small one, but it's never on. My work is mostly desk work (work station) but I get up frequently, at least once an hour. I like to walk in the mornings and I do this three mornings a week on average. I walk fast and I can walk miles and miles. Usually three to four in an hours time.

Weight training, lifting heavy objects. This I find is just boring. I don't mind it other than that. I have a full set of nice dumbbells 5-50 lbs. and some other basic gear and I irregularly use these, without making much progress. I like the PB workout book and will be working to get through it.

It's weird, I am at the highest level in squatting, but cannot do a single pull up! So I guess I've got some work to do. Of course trying to pull myself up with the 85lbs of excess fat on me is quite a task. I'll be doing the assisted ones just as soon as I can devise a bar somewhere in the house.

The sprinting I think I will like, but I need to work up to that very gradually as I am afraid with the excess weight that I will twist or pull something and that would set me back.

But I am enjoying the PB lifestyle so far (1week). Yay!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I have got to ask: What does SWMBO stand for?

Haha I didn't realize it was not universal. It is adapted from the old PBS series "Rumpole of the Bailey" he refers to his formidable wife, Hilda (behind her back) as "She who must be obeyed" SWMBO. My significant other is no less formidable, and often refers to me as HWWNO (He who will not obey). :-)

Update: I did manage my walk, the full four miles. There was a nice breeze and when I was in the shade it was pleasant. But in the sun it was hot! It is humid today too. I was drenched when I got back home. Just for kicks I weighed myself when I got home and before I drank anything. I weighed 255.8 down from 258.4 (this morning) that's 2.6 lbs lbs. of sweating...ick.

Meat, it's what's for dinner!

Lotta posts by me today, I am a pretty regular journaler, and I guess I have switched to this one.

So even before I started up with PB and Paleo before that, I decided to start eating pastured meat whenever I could. I have a smallish chest freezer and found a farm to buy from that is pretty reasonable if you buy in quantity. Late last year I bought a mixed quarter of beef (cuts from both ends) totaling about 85 lbs. The beef was terrific, the only problem was that I was away on a business trip when it arrived. My long suffering SO, who would gladly be a vegetarian if she had to look at raw meat, was forced to unpack it (it was all Cryovac packaged and frozen), lug it into the cellar and into the freezer. She was not happy about this.

It took six months to use it all and in June it was time to get more. This time I ordered another mixed quarter and a side of pork ( again, about 85 lbs each). I had some concerns about it all fitting. But I'd be there when it arrived this time, right?

Well no actually...one of our customers had a problem and I needed to fly out last week to help resove it. Sure as shooting the stuff shipped the day I did and arrived while I was away. SWMBO was not amused by this. But she was a trooper and managed to fit it in the freezer. I finally went down to look at it. It looks great! Apparently she dumped the boxes pell mell into the freezer and since it was so full it wouldn't close she stacked heavy stuff on the door until it did. When I removed it the door sprung open like a Jack in the box! Lol!

I went to the store and bought a whole bunch of plastic bins that fit just right and organized the meat by type so it will be easier to manage. Tonight I will make her a nice filet and give her a back rub as thanks.

Well my SO and our son got back from their day out late and had already eaten, so the filet didn't happen and she was dead tired so the backrub didn't happen...sigh.

But I did make a hamburger and mixed vegetable stir fry that was very good and very PB.

I felt good after the the walk and the exercising. I'll figure out what level I am in all of the exercises soon, likely I'll be a at the low levels in everything but squats. I have big muscular legs kept in better shape than my upper body, likely due to the walking that I have done, pretty regularly nearly all of my life.

Today of course is my day at the Outlaws, my SO's parents. I need to navigate the rough waters of people who typify the SAD and who like to see me eat. So I have to gracefully dodge the chips, bread and pasta that will abound and try to stay on course. I am going to bring a bottle of the red wine over that I like so I can drink that instead of beer or vodka tonic (their summertime drink).

Eating properly today will be a good dress rehearsal for the week, I am traveling up through New Hampshire, then into Canada for business, so it will be life on the road. This used to scare me when I was on conventional low fat diets, but I think it will be easy with PB. Eggs and bacon for breakfast, hold the toast, a big salad with steak or chicken and some slab of meat for dinner, extra side veggies, hold the spud. I do like desserts and maybe one day I'll be able to indulge a bit, but not now. I'll just nurse my glass of wine.

Here's a funny quirk of mine. I love red wine, I am not a connoisseur at all. But I like most of the wines that other people who do know a lot tell me are good. I've gone to lots of tastings over the years and when folks talk about this wine has a hint of cherries or it's buttery or has high herbal notes, I can always see why they would say that, but I would not be able to come up with it myself. I just can't verbally articulate nuances of taste verbally by comparing the experience to some other taste.

Anyway, I do really like red wine, white? Not so much. But as much as I like red wine, there is one thing about I don't like. Stemware. In particular the classic red wine class with the long delicate stem and the great big bowl. I would rather drink it from a coffee mug or a small tumbler. I normally don't order wine at restaurants, but lately, when I have I have asked that it be put into a water glass. I get strange looks, but I don't care.

I've never been able to determine just what it is that I don't like about them, maybe it is how fragile they are. Maybe it is the memory of my Italian friends whose Papas made wine and drank it from water glasses with their meal. I suspect that my not liking the conventional glassware has to do with the ceremony and viticultural pomp that (to me at least) obscures the enjoyment of a good glass of wine.

Hmmm now I'm thirsty and it's only 9:30...

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    She Who Must Be Obeyed- I love it!
    And, oh, for a freezer full of pastured meat!

Today, I am happy to report went very well, and according to plan. I didn't cheat at all, I actually don't really like the term "cheating" here. I suppose that you make good choices and you make bad ones. Given the choices I had today I made good ones. I passed on all the chips and bread and desserts, I had two glasses of wine (in a cup that I liked).

Even what I did eat, ribs and summer squash, I ate reasonable portions. I feel good. Nourished and not bloated.

This is going to be a challenging week for me, travel restaurants, business meals, irregular schedules. I'll have to make good choices.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Today I'm going to start pretty regular intermittent fasts. The 8 on 16 off method, so I'm not doing breakfast (besides coffee). I'll do it on Monday's for sure and probably after any days where there were food choices that weren't so good. :-)

Today was lift heavy things day, I haven't adopted the PB workouts yet, except where they overlap what I have been doing. Ah, what have I been doing? I have downloaded some personal trainer apps and am using them. Right now I am about a third of the way through getting up to 50 pushups, 50 Situps and 50 squats. Plus I do some more targeted muscle exercises for my arms and shoulders. The whole thing doesn't take more than 30 minutes and except for the extra arm work and the lack of pull ups, it is pretty much in line with PB.

I will have to devise a chinup bar somewhere and start. Theres an app for that too! :-)

Happy Monday!

Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast