Page 103 of 104 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1033

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 103

The Walrus is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I was just writing something in my journal about how I can only like lifting weights when I am already hot and sweaty from another workout - not sure why! Maybe I just have to be really, really, really warmed up to lift. Maybe we are just meant to be sweaty?
    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

“The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.” - Joseph Campbell

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Whenever Trainer Cliff has me lift heavy weights, we always do lots of warming up first. Lots! Then warm up sets and then finally the actual heavy lifting, which is typically not very many lifts. Warm-up sets of 8 reps, then more weight added, then a set of 6, and so on. Before I get to my new high lift, I am down to 1 rep.

Maybe you are instinctively doing the same?
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Hi Folks!

It's been a while! I've been frustrated a bit lately. My training isn't going very well. I'm weaker than I was just a few weeks ago, considerably weaker. Some of it due to focusing on running (preparing for the Warrior dash), rather than resistance exercises.

An example: My previous high dead-lift was 305 (I actually was able to lift 315, but couldn't lock it out properly so it doesn't count). Two weeks ago we did heavy dead-lifts and worked up as usual from lots of reps at low weights concentrating on form to gradually increasing weight and decreasing reps. We were up to 265lbs at 5-reps and I was really struggling with my form. My hips felt unstable and weak. Trainer-Cliff noticed this and we stopped after one set.

Sure enough I began to feel a pull in my groin, ugh! It was my right side hip-adductor and it was pulled. So for the last two weeks I haven't been able to lift at all with the lower body or to run and so we mostly have been working on rehab, stretching and range of motion stuff. It's feeling much better now, but my weight has spiked up a little due to the lack of exercise.

The frustration has to do with two things, a feeling that I'm not making progress with my weight and fitness, and that I'm regularly hurting myself trying to get in better shape. I'm constantly pulling muscles, aggravating my shoulder and arm and dealing with a whole list of foot issues from my very slow transition to barefoot shoes and adding in running.

I was concerned that I might be "over-training" but honestly do not think so, I work out a total of 3 hours a week. 2 - 3 times a week I walk for an additional hour. It doesn't seem like over-training to me. Almost the opposite. Because of how tired and sore I am from training (even when it goes well) I really don't do much more outside of training these days.

I have made some changes this week. I've abandoned the barefoot shoes except when I am actually training or purposefully walking. My feet have been constantly sore since I started transitioning into the barefoot shoes and for the last week I've been wearing my regular shoes and my feet have been way better. I think I will try the barefoot shoes again, but I will wait until I am down under 200 lbs. (I'm still in the low 230s).

I'm going to stop the heavy weight-training until my shoulder, arms and hip issues are way better. Instead, I am going to focus on stretching, flexibility and body-weight exercises. Maybe some Yoga and more core-strengthening.

And weight-loss. Still! It's been two years now. While I haven't been perfect with my Primal eating, I'm way better than I was before. I'm in control of my drinking (for the first time in my adult life) and all that combined with my current activity level supports a weight of 235 or so. So I'll be paying more attention to calories. I think I am eating a lot more calories in nuts and other healthy fats.

I still intend to do the Warrior Dash if I can avoid hurting myself long enough.

Sorry for all the whining... :-(
    Body Fat 27.5

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Whining from an injury is justified
    Hope you continue to improve.
    Take it easy, read books, float around in pools, chill.

I'm really glad you can come here and talk things out - so important to keep things in perspective and to be able to look back over where you've been.

Funny, I came here and read this as I was about to post my own frustrations in my journal - my weight has not gone down despite my intention to take off 10 lbs. this summer, I was off to a great start with classes and biking and stuff in June but in July I've done little except swim and an occasional Tabata and half-heartedly lifting some weights. I seem to irritate something in my back when I push myself in everything except swimming and end up doing the John Wayne walk for a few days after trying to lift or do burpees or anything like that. I'm extremely grateful to have the pool, but really it won't get me to my goals. Okay, that is enough whining in someone else's journal!

Hi Everybody!

Sorry to be so absent. Nothing personal, I've taken a pretty big step away from Social Media in general. Not for any particular reason, really (at least nothing bad).

Reading my last post I see I was upset about my weight loss (or lack of it) and I'd hurt myself doing deadlifts. The recovery was slow but I'm fine again. My shoulder hurts less and my feet are better. I don't have a clue what my weight is because I stopped weighing myself entirely. My weight can't have changed much though, judging by how my clothes fit.

I've got the Warrior Dash this weekend, ready or not (I'm ready). I just want to have fun and not hurt myself, how I finish is not really important to me. I'm looking forward to it.

My food and eating has been going really well. About 80/20. My drinking has been really reduced, I'm not doing so much socially these days and that's about the only time I drink, so that's good.

Incidentally, this morning was my training and we did deadlifts. It's the first time doing deadlifts for max weight since I hurt myself back in July. I set a new personal record 325! I guess time heals some wounds at least! :-)

I hope everybody is doing well!

David
    Body Fat 27.5

Good to hear from you, David, and WOW on the deadlifts! That's like 2 1/2 of me! I can't really imagine that.

Good on you for getting away from social media - it is fun but maybe the world's worst time waster.

Hope you are still cooking and eating well. I'm struggling with carbs as always - now and ever shall!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
    Good to hear from you, David.
    Ditto. Wish you could be around more, but we all know what it is like, needing/wanting to step back from the computer.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Great to see you doing so well. I was just thinking about you the other day.
    The warrior dash sounds rough. Pace yourself and keep thinking, no injuries, no injuries

[ATTACH]17602Well the Warrior Dash has come and gone. It was SO much fun, and very very muddy. I did quite well, I had no problem at all with the obstacles, though some people did (one woman broke her ankle in one of the mud pits). The running was quite manageable, there was 3.1 miles total, 5K, but it was broken up between the dozen obstacles, so there was time to catch your breath. Lots go folks walked, but I managed to run or jog through most of it. All in all it was a great experience. My son Brockett thoroughly enjoyed it too. Here we are, moments after crossing the finish line. I'd already cleaned up a bit, but was as muddy as my son!

Don't know why the picture is sideways...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Body Fat 27.5