Page 100 of 108 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1075

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 100

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I do walk barefoot at home all the time. At work I wear shoes, and in general I use shoes from Vivo Barefoot, which are great. Lately I've been on my feet a great deal, working in the machine shop, which is good, because I spend too much time sitting. So I've been alternating between the Vivos and more traditional work boots. Technically when working in the machine shop I should be wearing steel-toed boots, I haven't yet found a barefoot version of these :-)

My problem comes really from running, because I am having to learn not to heel-strike and it has been difficult. I can do it for awhile, but when I get tired I start heel-striking again. In typical fashion, I started too soon with the barefoot (minimus) running and really hurt myself. Now I'm recuperating and retraining. It's just very slow.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 231.6
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 31.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem at work - the minimal shoes don't protect my feet well enough. But I am able to take off my shoes and walk around on the lovely polished floors in private in the middle of the night. (You don't do that? No? ) Of course running is a whole different animal. I have only run uphill or on really, really soft mushy ground. But that won't work for training for an event. I've been really reluctant to try much running although I would like to participate in some events. I just can't accept injuries - spent too much of my time injured already. When I have doing TRX, I injured my heel early on and have been super, super careful ever since. The instructor is always berating me to push, but no way am I taking any chances with my Achilles tendon. And I think he forgets I haven't been doing this very long! I'm just a weekend warrior, not training for the Olympics. Okay, enough about me! But it will come for you, like you say, it is just slow.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

So I may have solved my shoe dilemma! Last week I ordered a pair of Altra zero-drop running shoes. They are a minimal type shoe, zero-drop meaning the heel is not raised at all, with plenty of room for toes to wiggle around freely and well padded for running. I got them yesterday and wore them to work today to break them in and my feet feel great! I'll take a run tomorrow morning and see how they work on the road.

All else is good. No liquor for me for nearly a month now and my weight as of this morning is back to 230! I'm hoping to be in the 220s by next weigh in on Saturday morning. :-)
    Body Fat 31.5

Congratulations on the number! I think you have lots of company in the Sans Alcohol Club thanks to Mark's post.

Those shoes are very interesting - also I think I can save a boatload of money by getting boy's shoes. I actually think they will fit better and they are half the price. Must check them out. They would be good for work because my Merrell Pace Gloves just don't protect my feet enough.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I'm bringing them to training tonight and we'll likely do some running and a bit of sprinting, so I'll get to put them through their paces. They are a bit bright and crazy looking for my taste for just casual wear, so I will likely just use them when I am exercising. I know the fashion these days is bright colors and wild space-shippy designs, but I guess I'm turning into a curmudgeon, I just think they look silly on men of an age...
    Body Fat 31.5

Two steps forward and one step back...

I hurt myself at training on Thursday, not badly, but a small pull to my left glute (I know, it's a real pain in the ass...). :-)

Also my tennis elbow was aggravated. I suppose it all happened during a timed tire flipping routine. I was trying to beat a record (I didn't). So I was sore all weekend. But I did get some running in on my C25K (now on day 3).

I do feel better today and I have another day of rest before training tomorrow, so I should be good to go.

It's trainer Cliff's 4-year anniversary in business and he's offering some significant deals, so I am going to sign up for 6-months and he will add 2-months free! it's a lot of money all at once, but it's a priority, so it's all good.
    Body Fat 31.5

Imagine how I felt when I pulled a groin muscle last week! Embarrassing AND painful. Luckily it went away really quickly and I only walked like John Wayne for a day.

I'm so glad you are staying with Trainer Cliff, he sounds like a gem, worth every penny.

Yeah I'm so glad it has turned out so well. Cliff and I get along very well. He has the right mix of motivation and understanding for me. What impresses me the most is that when I ask him why we are doing a certain exercise or group of exercises, he always gives me an answer that shows he has really thought it through and is tailoring my workout for me and not just randomly "mixing it up."
    Body Fat 31.5

When you find a situation like that you just have to go with it!

I'm with you on the crazy shoe colors. I really just prefer plain solid colors, black, gray, maybe brown or tan. But those are hard to find. I'd even go with red if it was solid. Not interested in making the kind of statement that certain shoes project.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well so far, I really like the shoes. They are too wild for me to wear around, so they stay in my gym bag except when I'm there. Fortunately my foot problems are way better.

Now that the weather is better, Cliff has an obstacle course set-up on Thursdays, it's sort of like a mini version of the Warrior dash minus the mud and fire. I'll run it after my normal training tonight (weather permitting) for time. I'm still pretty slow at running, but I can run longer distances without being too winded. I expressed my concern and Cliff said, "Well, you will improve as the summer goes along. This will be a good starting point, a baseline."

So...good! It's a mile and a half of running and 12 obstacles, which are really more heavy tasks (farmer carries and tire flipping, etc. than wall climbing and such. I'm apprehensive but am looking forward to it...mostly.

I haven't weighed myself at all for a week or so. But I feel lighter and my pants are a bit looser, so hopefully I'll be in the 220's next weigh-in, likely Saturday AM.
    Body Fat 31.5