Page 10 of 99 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David) page 10

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    So tonight I made tuna on the grill, a grilled tomato, and we had fresh tomatoes too, and some sautéed sweet potato in coconut oil. It was delish! If I do say so myself. I bought some organic baby spinach to sauté as well but forgot about it :-(. So it will go into tomorrow's omelet.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

This morning I made an omelet with fresh tomato cooked in coconut oil and had two Applegate's hot dogs, grass-fed, organic, with no nitrates or nitrites added. These are wonderful! They're about a hundred calories, 80 of which come from fat so it threw my macro totals decidedly to the fat side :-)

I also had a half an avocado before realizing how much fat was in the hot dogs. but I feel satisfied! :-)

Leftover tuna for lunch! with some beets and a little leftover sweet potato.

Nomnomnommmm
    Body Fat 27.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I love those Applegate hot dogs - for better or worse they are a mainstay of my diet. They taste so beefy! And yeah, I also eat them with avocado for a fat festival. That is my go-to meal when I want to make sure I won't be hungry for a long time. Try them cut up into small pieces, fried, and added to scrambled eggs. This is my advice.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Well it worked! I wasn't hungry really all day. I ate my lunch kinda on the go, because it was hectic (I hate that). Dinner was chicken breasts sauteed in coconut oil and some (a lot) baby spinach cooked just until wilted. I tossed in some curry spices and fresh garlic and ginger and it was really great! The coconut oil really gives it an oriental taste, like food made in Bali and Singapore. Yummm!

Oh and the last of the CSA peaches went and some blueberries too!

Siobahn, I get hot dogs from my Grass-fed beef farmer, but the meat packager they use won't process it without nitrites. I eat it anyway, but way less often than I would like. The local Stop and Shop store just started to carry the Applegate stuff as well as grass fed beef ($$$$!!!). So now I am happy. I do miss the hot dog bun... but I will live, maybe longer :-)
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 08-21-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    Body Fat 27.5

So the scale finally has moved! Today I weighed 253.6, down from last week's 255.9. So I am down 2.3 lbs. this coincides with my doing the Whole 30, but I am only 5 days into it, and as I said before except for alcohol and dairy, I've been eating clean for the most part, so I cannot say with any certainty that the Whole30 made the difference, but I'm still glad.

I admit that I am still confused by this whole plateau issue. I know I was dehydrated, I have issues with that that had resulted in trips to the emergency room once or twice. I was also eating only 1500 - 1800 calories a day, very low carb, and fewer calories still when I was IFing. So the model I have constructed in my mind is this: During this very low calorie phase I lost water weight and became dehydrated. So I didn't lose fat or muscle at all and got down to 248 at one point. Then after a weekend of normal eating, my weight went up to 256,where it stayed for a month. Likely due to eating too little, drinking too much alcohol, and down regulating my metabolism. I guess it makes sense.

In any case, I did an experiment yesterday. After dinner I was really thirsty. So I weighed myself and I weighed 253.4. in the evening I drank two pints of water in the hours before bed. I wanted to see how much this two pounds of water would affect my morning (post pee) weight. The answer is it didn't really, all I added was 0.2 lbs. This shows that I am not at this time dehydrated and the 2 pound weight loss is real. Whew!
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 08-22-2012 at 04:12 AM.
    Body Fat 27.5

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DCarr10760 View Post
    I do miss the hot dog bun... but I will live, maybe longer :-)
    And you will be happier, too!

What a shame the packager insists on contaminating that beautiful grass-fed beef with nitrites
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Yeah, I bet it's a liability thing. Here in Connecticut laws about processed foods are different than elsewhere. We can get raw milk, you have to search a bit, but it's available. I know in some states it isn't. The last cider mill making unpasturised apple cider was recently forced to add that process, but they held out a long time. So the nitrate/nitrate thing may be compulsory in New York State, where I get my meat...idk.

So breakfast was scrambled eggs and hot dog bits and sautéed spinach, all scrambled together. It is not the most beautiful concoction, visually, but it tasted good!

Yesterday for a variety of reasons I did not get lunch. It was actually a long, difficult and ultimately frustrating day. When I got home (late) I was grumpy and not especially hungry. But SWMBO had made me a big salad and I ate that along with two cans of sardines. I also ate some mixed berries. Still my calorie totals for the day were way low. It showed up on the scale this morning as I lost over a pound, but I don't necessarily believe it. We'll see next week on Wednesday, when I weigh in formally.

Today promises to be another day, like yesterday :-(. But I've packed a good lunch and had a good breakfast, so there's that. I am missing wine more than usual, probably as a mood regulator, which isn't a really healthy coping strategy, time-honored and effective though it might be.
    Body Fat 27.5

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    You got me thinking with your post last week of: "Maybe my weight will come of only after I figure out who I want to be," and your follow up about your past weight loss experience. Good stuff.

Hi Sabine! Thanks for stopping in

It has certainly been a week of self-reflecton and navel-gazing for me. I have to believe that despite my wanting to be a healthy weight and physically fit, that at some subconscious level I am comfortable being heavy. Because although I have been succesful through the years at losing weight, sometimes a lot of it, I've never lost all the weight and I have always gained the weight back.

So it struck me that along with learning the right way to eat and to exercise , I need to learn what it means to live my life at a healthy weight. I don't mean how to maintain my goal weight, I mean how to be me (whatever that means) at my right weight. I have fantasized about it, but in my limited experience, the reality has been somewhat different. Not bad, not good, just different.

I've been fat since I was seven years old. My son Davy just turned seven last Wednesday. Maybe that's what started me thinking. It can be a dangerous pastime.
    Body Fat 27.5

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Whenever I say or think 'I've been thinking', my brain responds with singing 'A dangerous passtime. I know.'
    Too much"Beauty and the Beast' when my girls were little!

Page 10 of 99 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast