Thread: glucose w/o fructose energy source for endurance training page

jake13 is offline Junior Member

glucose w/o fructose energy source for endurance training

Primal Fuel
    Hi,
    I'm training for a 100 mile bike ride. I'm trying to cut all sources of fructose out of my dietary intake.
    Any suggestions on a sucrose-free glucose source of energy to use during the longer rides?
    Does it exist primal-friendly?
    Jake13

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry about fructose. Fructose in excess might be problematic for sedentary people, but in an endurance event it can actually help you. Someone else might have links to studies, but I believe I've seen it claimed that fructose+glucose may actually absorb and refill glycogen quicker than just straight glucose. Fructose doesn't refill muscle glycogen, but it does fill liver glycogen, and both stores are important in endurance events.

If you want a great primal carb source then go with the tried and true: bananas. Yes they are fruit, but only about 1/5th of the carbs in a banana come from fructose.

you gotta train for a 100 mile bike ride?

that's like training for a 2 mile walk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    you gotta train for a 100 mile bike ride?

that's like training for a 2 mile walk.
    i should have been more specific. i'm training to average 22 mph over the 100 miles. I'll probably be soloing so i'm putting in a lot of aerobic base miles-zone 1 training. not strenuous but a ton of saddle time. So 1-1.5 hours and 2.5 hours into it I need to fuel up.

While we're on it. post re-fuel right now is whey protein with coconut milk, an avocado, and some raw coconut. thoughts?
    Jake13

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Throw some yams/sweet potatoes in there post-workout? Carbs are not evil.

Cool I love yams. I'm not worried about carbs. I'm trying to get a sense of how much I should worry about avoiding fructose during the training sessions as I throw down some carbs. to re-fuel during the ride.
    Right now it looks like bananas figs and apples will be my best in-ride refueling sources.

Thanks for all the help and welcome any other suggestions.
    This evidence-based nutrition and exercise paradigm is like going down a rabbit hole. It's an amazing trip so far.
    Jake13

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    White rice and white potatoes are optimal for glycogen loading IMO. I find fructose inferior. No need to avoid fructose in most veggies though.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.