Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gluten issues - how do they evolve? page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Gluten issues - how do they evolve?

Shop Now
    So I am full on wheat/grain gluten free and feeling great. If I eat any bread etc. these days I get pretty bad digestive upset and without too much detail, things pass through me rapidly.

Because I prepare all the food, my husband by proxy is also now pretty much wheat free. He doesn't eat bread/baked goods in our house and is not big pasta/bread eater etc. if he goes out. He does drink beer. Lately, beer has been giving him very sharp stomach pains. No vomiting or diarrhea, just pain.

I know part of the wheat bloat is some water retention to protect our system. Is he losing his ability to tolerate beer because he is mainly wheat free and not building up the protection? I feel bad- he enjoys beer.

On a good note, he is enjoying good primal cooking- he devoured salmon and a kale salad last night. LOL, without a beer. And the primal meals don't make him feel bad. I'm hoping I can get him to eat beef and chicken.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately, sometimes you don't realize how sensitive you are to something until you completely eliminate it and then try to add it back in. He may never have really 'tolerated' it but his system was able to handle it bc it had to bc it was constantly being bombarded by wheat. I am gluten intolerant and eliminated wheat - anytime I accidentally have it now my reactions are 10 times worse than they used to be, although much shorter lived - pretty much gives me a panic attack.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I've experienced a similar situation with my wife and her allergies to soap/shampoo preservatives- she can't use much of what is labeled "organic" because of the various chemicals they put in liquid soaps and shampoos. We don't have anything in the house that she can't use, but now I will sometimes break out in a rash when I get too much exposure to that same kind of nastiness.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    When you stop eating something like wheat your body will lower the enzymes and things in your body used to digest it so what wouldn't give you a problem before you eliminated wheat can give you a problem afterwards, because your body is not used to it. You weren't sensitive to it the whole time, you made yourself sensitive by cutting it from your diet.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by codered5 View Post
    Unfortunately, sometimes you don't realize how sensitive you are to something until you completely eliminate it and then try to add it back in. He may never have really 'tolerated' it but his system was able to handle it bc it had to bc it was constantly being bombarded by wheat. I am gluten intolerant and eliminated wheat - anytime I accidentally have it now my reactions are 10 times worse than they used to be, although much shorter lived - pretty much gives me a panic attack.
    I agree but I also wonder if it not also an issue that you just got used to living with it. As you cleaned up your diet you felt better overall so the reaction seams worse.

Either way it is a substance best left alone.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    An interesting article that along with the genetically bombarded wheat being a problem, mercury may inhibit some of the enzymes that our body had developed to tackle the poisons in wheat.
    Autism and Schizophrenia subgroup related to blockage by toxic exposures of enzymes processing gluten and casein, B
    It really does show how bad wheat is for you.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    my husband had some serious intestinal issues for many years. At one point when he was 23 he had 12 inches of his intestines removed (he is 45 now). After the surgery he was good for a long time and then it started up again. Well, he went wheat/grain free about 3 months ago and has only had one upset since then and it didn't last long. We are hoping that the elimination of wheat and grains will keep him pain-free forever.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Yup. It seems we are all celiac just to varying degrees.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if this is a gut flora thing? Perhaps by not eating heat, your digestive system has gotten rid of bacteria that thrive on wheat. Now you eat wheat and those guys are not around to do their job, so you have digestive issues.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I don't know what causes gluten issues~ I only know that 20some years ago, I had one hell of a mess on my skin. I now know that it corresponded with the introduction of GMO dwarf wheat and the 'new' food pyramid with it's 6-11 servings of 'healthy grains' Of course, Ron Popeil (pasta maker) and West Bend (bread machine) didn't help! Maybe it's more about overexposure than anything else~ grains occasionally, fine. But they way they were pushed (still are pushed) makes the body go into panic mode~ if it lets a little slide by, you might be tempted to eat more!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast