Thread: Modify current diet or overhaul? page

mitogal is offline Junior Member

Question Modify current diet or overhaul?

Shop Now
    I am new here and at a crossroad and uncertain how to proceed. I became chronically ill pretty suddenly about 5 years ago and developed a myriad of health issues that quickly spiraled out of control. I was subsequently diagnosed with mitochondrial disease and when no doctor could help me and I was told I would be dead by 30 (I am 26), I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I had developed a multitude of food intolerances over the years and I implemented a 4 day rotation diet in early March (don't eat the same food two days in a row and I rotate through the food botanical families too). My diet consists of fresh fruit in the AM only on an empty stomach, veggies (no nightshade), coconut oil, EVOO, free range chicken/lamb/goat and wild seafood. I do eat turkey, but it is not free range, organic, or pastured and I honestly think I'm reacting negatively to it. Naturally there is some dysbiosis. I have wacky reactions to carbs and sugar and I am grain-free and sugar free (except the fruit). No potatoes either. I do have parsnips on occasion, squash, and carrots.

Recently, I began reading about the GAPS diet as a way to heal leaky gut, which I definitely have and which I suspect caused all of this nonsense in the first place. I have literally pulled myself from death's door with my implemented changes. The difference in my health from 6 months ago is astonishing. I have begun to add in bone broths as well.

My question is: is it worth trying the GAPS diet (Intro, etc), or should I keep doing what I'm doing since it *is* working, just not as quickly as I'd like? Would adding bone broths and fermented veggies in addition to what I'm doing be sufficient to heal or do I need to strip down my diet more? I do still experience some GI issues on occasion (heartburn, indigestion, etc). I don't want to make things WORSE, and the 2 weeks I went fruit-free was an absolute nightmare with my glucose running in the 50's and me unable to function.

I was also recently diagnosed with MTHFR gene mutation (compound heterozygous for those who are familiar), so healing the gut is top priority in order to later address the methylation issues.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

CarlaC is offline Member
    First of all, congrats on taking your life into your own hands and experiencing success! Well done! Others will be able to give you more help, but just eyeballing what you have written here I would say to cut your fruit way back. Make sure it's low sugar (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries) and I wouldn't have it alone.

mitogal is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlaC View Post
    First of all, congrats on taking your life into your own hands and experiencing success! Well done! Others will be able to give you more help, but just eyeballing what you have written here I would say to cut your fruit way back. Make sure it's low sugar (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries) and I wouldn't have it alone.
    What would you suggest I pair it with? Fat? I had a consult recently and the dr wanted me to add protein in the AM. The issue I have with fruit is that I'm not sure I can eat it any other way except solo. The enzymes needed to digest fruit are completely different from the enzymes needed to digest other foods which results in the fruit not digesting thoroughly and then fermenting. If I try to eat fruit during the day (ex: mid-afternoon snack instead of the AM), it results in a 16 hour marathon migraine.

Nutritionist who specializes in candida said fruit in the AM alone was ok as long as it didn't exceed 3 pieces worth (45g). I am doing about 2 pieces worth. The fruit thing is so confusing. Eat it, don't, eat it this way, don't. ::sigh:: lol

I do strive for low sugar and always organic.