Thread: Immersive cooking and fitness camp running multiple weeks? page

sohail is offline Junior Member

Immersive cooking and fitness camp running multiple weeks?

Primal Fuel
    Is there a version of this PrimalCon that runs for multiple weeks and allows newbies to learn multiple meals, perhaps even do the full 21 Day transformation program, through a multi-week camp?

I'm not in a living setup where I could really clean out the pantry or be around supportive people, so I'd love to make the transition in a multi-week immersion scenario, where I'm cooking with others daily and really figuring out how to cook, portion sizes, committing some recipes to muscle memory and structuring in time for fitness.

If anyone has suggestions for something run by Mark or others in the ancestral community, please let me know!

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    I don't know of anything that meets your needs, but would be interested in how much demand there would be for something like this. Perhaps people in their responses could also address this question (no intent to hijack the thread though).

@OneDeltaTenTango - I think that's a great idea. Anyone organizing this is of course, has got to know there's a demand to make it cost effective and worth while. So, if this is something any of you out there would go for, please chime into the thread. If there's enough of us interested, someone may decide to run with it, seeing the interest.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    That sounds fun, and intense. Do you really need it though? Organic veggies and meat. Occasional heavy and intense exercise, plenty of play and sleep. Lots of leeway to tailor to your tastes, budget, and situation. There are 6 or 8 great cookbooks on the market and the internet makes finding local farmers and good training programs easy. You can do it!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

@tfarny - I hear you - I geek out on the theory and espouse it to others. But I can do 2 paleo meals a day and then crack as I'm going through that transition point. There's tempting foods around from other family members. I keep re-starting and before I start conditioning myself to feel defeated, I'd like to just air drop myself into a supportive environment, cross that painful period, and then I feel I'll have more resolve to run on autopilot with this stuff when I'm back on home turf.

I applaud the folks that do this on their own. My Mum's at home cooking up a storm of temptation every day that when I'm in a lowish carbohydrate state, I snap and indulge on.

Robb Wolf rightfully calls out in his book that you have to clear the pantry. We don't have self control, etc.

But I'd have a better chance coming back into that environment if I've been able to strengthen those habits in a more supportive environment where going off track just isn't even an option.

Reese is offline Junior Member
    I'd be interested in this. I'm in a similar boat as sohail - I can do two meals a day, but then I crack. I'm not so tempted by home-cooked food (I'm the one who does the cooking), and I'm proud of myself for avoiding the French bread and peanut butter cereal my boyfriend brings home, but because I'm the one doing the cooking I have to plan meals to an extent I'm not prepared for - I don't have the time or the groceries or the inspiration. So for instance today all I had was juice for lunch because I was in a rush leaving the house. I finally cracked around 3:30 when I got all shaky (I'm a terrible, terrible sugar burner), and bought honey roasted cashews. This was my healthier alternative to honey roasted peanuts. I really hate real nuts.

I guess for me it really depends on when/where/how much this kind of thing would cost. I've been praying for a paleo food truck or delivery service to open up around here because that'd help me. I'm tempted to do it, but as I've said... I can't even keep myself fed. A more reasonable thing I wanted to do was have a paleo food swap - so you make a big batch of something and give everyone a couple servings with instructions on how to make it. You end up with new recipes and ideas, homemade food you didn't have to make, and variety.

Another option would be weekend camps, maybe where in addition to the other activities you make a couple meals for the week to help keep yourself on track without having to dump your world on its head/quit your job/get a doctor's note/etc.

For what it's worth, groupon or living social was advertising a grown-up summer camp, so it's not an entirely unheard of idea. Could probably set a 21-day program up offseason at eg a Boy Scout camp since they won't use them so much when the kids are in school.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reese View Post
    I'd be interested in this. I'm in a similar boat as sohail - I can do two meals a day, but then I crack. I'm not so tempted by home-cooked food (I'm the one who does the cooking), and I'm proud of myself for avoiding the French bread and peanut butter cereal my boyfriend brings home, but because I'm the one doing the cooking I have to plan meals to an extent I'm not prepared for - I don't have the time or the groceries or the inspiration. So for instance today all I had was juice for lunch because I was in a rush leaving the house. I finally cracked around 3:30 when I got all shaky (I'm a terrible, terrible sugar burner), and bought honey roasted cashews. This was my healthier alternative to honey roasted peanuts. I really hate real nuts.

I guess for me it really depends on when/where/how much this kind of thing would cost. I've been praying for a paleo food truck or delivery service to open up around here because that'd help me. I'm tempted to do it, but as I've said... I can't even keep myself fed. A more reasonable thing I wanted to do was have a paleo food swap - so you make a big batch of something and give everyone a couple servings with instructions on how to make it. You end up with new recipes and ideas, homemade food you didn't have to make, and variety.

Another option would be weekend camps, maybe where in addition to the other activities you make a couple meals for the week to help keep yourself on track without having to dump your world on its head/quit your job/get a doctor's note/etc.

For what it's worth, groupon or living social was advertising a grown-up summer camp, so it's not an entirely unheard of idea. Could probably set a 21-day program up offseason at eg a Boy Scout camp since they won't use them so much when the kids are in school.
    I know this sounds nasty, and I know nothing about the circumstances you are in. But making a few meals in a crockpot in advance and sticking some of it in a container before you head out truly is not hard, certainly it is easier than weekend camps and whatnot, easier than quitting smoking or whatever. If it is really hard, then you are not in sufficient control of your life overall, and you should work on that.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

rhiarti is offline Member
    Coming at this from another angle, I'd love some kind of Primal camp just for the sheer fun of getting to dive right in for a week! I'm the only person of my social circle adhering as best they can to the Primal Blueprint, but play especially is no real fun with a bunch of sluggish carb-burners who'd rather sit indoors at their computers, or go out drinking till the week small hours!

Reese is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I know this sounds nasty, and I know nothing about the circumstances you are in. But making a few meals in a crockpot in advance and sticking some of it in a container before you head out truly is not hard, certainly it is easier than weekend camps and whatnot, easier than quitting smoking or whatever. If it is really hard, then you are not in sufficient control of your life overall, and you should work on that.
    That is nasty. Unnecessarily so. And closed-minded. Forgive my overly defensive response, but if you are going to judge me then you are required to know something about me first.

Maybe you're loaded, or maybe you live somewhere where you can get fresh produce without round-trip spending an hour on a train with a $6 fair, or an hour walking, just to find the grocery store you're at doesn't have any lettuce, apples, avocados, blueberries, celery, carrots, and whatever else you were after that day. Here, that's the case. I can go to the farmer's market on Saturdays, but there's rarely organic produce there, and rarely anything else (the neighboring states, where the products come from, have difficult rules, such as chicken can only be sold on the farm or in a grocer). And the cheapest cuts of meat are still approaching $10 a lb. Once I was able to get a roast on sale, which I made in my crockpot (which I saved up LexisNexis points for while doing legal research) and which lasted me a week. But that's uncommon.

What I do is I go to Wegmans once a month. It's a half hour drive, and I don't have a car. This means that I either beg a ride or rent a car for the task (and I only just turned 25, so no one in the DC Metro area would rent me a car before that point). I then stock up on chicken breasts at $2 a pound and a little other meat and fish, which lasts me nearly to my next Wegmans trip. But sometimes a girl wants to partake in some forms of produce that don't last a whole month.

If you add to that the fact that I work full time during the summers (unpaid) plus take a class (three hours once a week until 9 pm, with weekly assignments - law assignments, mind you, a 25 page paper, and a 15 minute presentation), and am a full-time law student during the year (that also doesn't pay), plus part time work (unpaid), provide pro bono legal help for immigrants, maintain good relations with friends and family, cook for my bottomless-pit boyfriend in addition to myself, keep my house clean, keep a little organic garden, and keep my pets happy, I'd say I'm in pretty darn good control of my life. Thanks though, for your input.