Thread: Initial Weight Gain When Going Primal? page

debski is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Initial Weight Gain When Going Primal?

Hi everyone,
    Just looking for some support and advice here. Did anyone else have some initial weight gain when they first went primal/paleo? I have been eating primal for about 2 weeks and have gained 4 lbs. Not the result I was expecting. I have been getting to the gym 3-4x per week (Cardio ~35 min, plus weights). Eating 2 eggs cups for breakfast: 1 egg cut with veggies and bacon, 1 egg cup with turkey bacon and veggies. I usually have that with 5 strawberries. Lunch is usually grilled or fresh veggies with turkey or chicken breast (both grilled); occasionally some grass fed beef. I have an apple around 3:00. Dinner is grass fed beef or chicken with veggies and a salad (no commercial dressing. Homemade vinaigrette w/ 1T olive oil). In the evening I may be 1 oz natural almonds with fresh blueberries, or (If I did not have my apple earlier in the day) and apple with 1T almond butter. I don't snack much; if I do it is homemade paleo granola (nuts, seeds, coconut, coconut oil, honey, maple syrup). I have been eating clean (no processed foods) for a few years now, so there is none of that to take out of my diet.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong and what I need to tweak? Did anyone else go thru an initial weight gain?
    Thanks! I just am frustrated. I changed to this eating style because (1) it makes sense to me, and (2) I wanted to lose 6 lbs. Now I have way more to lose.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    What's your height and weight ?
    Also, how did you eat before going primal ?
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

debski is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    What's your height and weight ?
    Also, how did you eat before going primal ?
    Hi Daydreamer,
    Thank you for your offer of help!

I am about 5'5" and I am now up to 144. (I was 136 at the beginning of the year and trying to get back there.)
    I have been eating clean for the past few years, so no processed foods. I was eating whole grains like oatmeal for breakfast, some brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa. (I would do 2 servings of whole grains per day before 2:00pm like 1/3c oatmeal with berries for breakfast; lunch would be 1/3c brown rice with lean meats and veggies) But no white potatoes. I typically stayed with the leaner meats: chicken breast, turkey, lean pork, lean beef. Lots of veggies and fruit. I did eat plain, fat free greek yogurt with berries or a brown rice cake with almond butter for mid morning snack, but I have stopped that. Dinner was lean meats, with a big salad with homemade vinaigrette. I would add healthy fat with dinner and have 1/4 or so of an avocado or a couple tablespoons of cheese like feta (no soft cheeses). I also was eating every 2-3 hours.

The major changes have been cutting out the grains, and not eating every 2-3 hours. I have added bacon back in, but I am not having that much. Maybe 3-4 slices total per week.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I would first work on getting rid of the snacks and eating bigger meals. It looks like you're eating breakfast, lunch, a snack (apple), dinner, and then another snack (almonds and blueberries). Since you're new to primal I wouldn't suggest IF'ing yet, but at least cut back to three large meals, and eventually you may be able to do just two. You may need to drop the nuts for awhile...those calories can add up fast, and calories do matter on primal, just not as much as they do on SAD.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've just started "doing it properly", and I've put on weight. I don't weigh myself, so I don't know how much, but I can feel it in my clothes. but I'm not too worried. Whatever you put on - and lose - quickly, is mainly water and glycogen. For whatever reason, you're probably retaining water. Whenever I dieted in the past, I always noticed that I got bloated right before I started to lose.

Drink camomile tea, hot water with lemon, and / or a detox mixture of coconut oil / extra virgin olive oil, garlic and ginger. And keep the faith