Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You, Personally, Kill Your Own Meat?

Hybrid View

Do You, Personally, Kill Your Own Meat?

You have the dubious honor of meeting someone who has never killed dinner. I have never caught a fish, even though I have been to a few fishing holes here and there. I have never shot a gun - it just didn't come up as a kid and as an adult I was veg for a good stretch. I have witnessed my old-fashioned Oma bringing the butcher up from the village to axe a goose and a ram. That was hard for me, emotionally, even though intellectually I understood. Now I live in prime deer and wild turkey land. The hunting and gun culture is HUUUUGE here, and I have needed a while to get somewhat used to it. So now that I am Primal, I have been thinking recently of perhaps, maybe looking into killing a dinner. We have a big piece of wooded land, and it is animal sanctuary at my place.

Here is my question: how do you emotionally process killing an animal? I don't ask the wider family here because they are very cavalier about killing stuff - they have the attitude of, if there is any snake in the yard - kill it (non-poisonous, mostly, here) / if there is a groundhog on the side of the road, veer off and run it over to help the farmers (groundhogs make holes in the fields, you know) / if the boys get new guns, they practice by shooting every bird on the property (including songbirds), and my nephew actually told me he stomps on mice in the barn because they make the most cool noises when you do that - I almost threw up and asked him to never tell me that story again (story verified by his mom).

So how do / did you get ready to look at something with a face, in the face, and then take it down??

Yes, but it’s not for everyone, and after reading you post I doubt it’s for you.

I've killed or assisted in killing and butchering since I was 4. I doubt that you can. That said, you can often get hunters to give you deer carcasses that they don't need or want. You might start there, and learn how to skin and dismember something already dead.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
    I've killed or assisted in killing and butchering since I was 4. I doubt that you can. That said, you can often get hunters to give you deer carcasses that they don't need or want. You might start there, and learn how to skin and dismember something already dead.
    The more I think about this, the more I think you are right - start with learning to skin and butcher a deer already killed. I recently just realized (thanks to the book rack at our local Tractor Supply) that when you hunt, field dressing is part of the job...

LOL. Not for me either, but there are hunters galore who do this and make excellent steaks, sausages, etc.

I love animals so much and it's hard for me to think of them dying, especially gentle cows with their beautiful faces.

But I know the meat is especially healthy for us. I found La Cense beef online and liked the way they described the humane way of killing the cows. More expensive than grocery store but all grass fed and really delicious. I try to always thank the cow who died, still makes my heart ache, tho. (but I've tried vegetarian and muscles ached and hair and eye lashes fell out like crazy.)

I've killed for meat and I've never had the attitudes or actions you mention in your 2nd paragraph. Toward the animals I've killed I've felt respect, gratitude and some sadness at that moment. Taking food and wanton killing are not the same thing. You know. serial killers, normally start with small animals.

Tercio

Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post
    I've killed for meat and I've never had the attitudes or actions you mention in your 2nd paragraph. Toward the animals I've killed I've felt respect, gratitude and some sadness at that moment. Taking food and wanton killing are not the same thing. You know. serial killers, normally start with small animals.

Tercio
    This.

I was raised on a farm. On that farm and neighboring farms (and in hunting/fishing) I raised and butchered, or assisted in raising and butchering, or hunting and butchering, just about anything you can think of 'normal' in North America at one point or another. It wasn't ever malicious. We raise all the animals in clean well kept environments, and with kindness. When it was their time... it was just their time. They had lived a good life to that point, be it months or years... and they were dispatched with as little trauma as possible. As for hunting, we were taught to shoot accurately at targets before being allowed to practice on real game and were expected to kill efficiently... not lame something and have it suffer.
    It was also always the expectation that one did NOT take only the best cuts and leave meat to rot. The entire animal was to be used respectfully.

Living so far south now I no longer hunt game, but (when my head isn't a bloody mess) husband and I fish the coastal flats and keep some of the catch. Since husband doesn't eat fish at all this amounts to mostly catch and release sport fishing and taking substantially less than the allowable 'limit'.

I've never felt any guilt about dispatching, butchering, or eating any of the animals that I've participated in the care and killing of.

I've known people like you describe in your second paragraph... they are not people I like or appreciate. Malicious killing of animals is weak. A disgusting character flaw IMO.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    As for hunting, we were taught to shoot accurately at targets before being allowed to practice on real game and were expected to kill efficiently... not lame something and have it suffer.
    It would be a while before I actually tried to hunt - like you, I would expect it of myself that I know how to shoot accurately in order to kill cleanly. The whole gun education, licensing, gun purchase, safe firearm storage, go along with a hunter as an observer, and more, is yet to be learned by me, and I recognize it, too! The last thing I want is to go off half-cocked with a hastily purchased weapon - and set that kind of example for my daughters!

Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post

Tercio
    You know, one of the "hooks", if you will, of ethical vegetarianism is since many have a "built-in" reticence to killing for food, it is therefore unnatural for mankind to kill other creatures, hence a veg diet is more natural diet for humans. It took some time out here for me to see that not all hunters are evil, unnatural beings. A good number were very kind when they heard that I was from out-of-town and had no experience with guns or hunting. They patiently explained it pretty much as you do above - they are grateful, careful, and use what they shoot.

It made me think that perhaps there was a way to hunt and not chip away pieces of soul, for lack of a closer way of explaining it. Thanks.

No, I'm admittedly a bit of a coward in that regard, my brother does it for me
    Only because he loves hunting and does it as a sport anyway. It's just not something I enjoy personally. Although I could if I had to I suppose.