Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can You Boil an Egg? Then Tell Me! page

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member

Can You Boil an Egg? Then Tell Me!

Primal Fuel
    Here I am, having visions of beautiful devilled eggs to eat today. But for the life of me, I can't seem to peel a damn boilded egg without it looking like the squirrels bit out of them - all over. - again. I am using chicken eggs, large size, from the health food store - free range. They should be decently fresh as we use a LOT of eggs around here and buy them weekly.

I have tried starting in cold water, starting in boiling water, slipping them into iced water immediately, slipping them into running cold tap water, and today I tried cracking them against the pot and letting them sit in the cold water (after cooking) to cool with the crack. I really had high hopes for that one... that the crack would somehow let the water get between the egg and shell and make this easy - but NO.

If anybody has a really tried and true way of cooking and/or peeling hard-boiled eggs so that I get smooth, non-pock-marked, non-ripped eggs, I might just send you a gift. I really am that *^&^$%^^%* TIRED of having the egg stick to the shell!! If this keeps up, I might just buy those stupid plastic Eggies and give them a try! And don't tell me to make egg salad - you'll find it shoved up...

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Add 1 T of apple cider vinegar to your cooking water then after cooking crackle the entire shell and cool completely in cold water, peel under running water starting at the widest end and the entire shell should come off in one swoop

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I have heard that older eggs peel more easily. Somewhere out there in YouTube land is a Tim Ferris video on how to peel eggs. He puts baking soda in the water if I recall.

Fressca is offline Junior Member
    Cook your eggs; when they're done, plunge into ice water. Crack them up a bit so the water gets under the shell. When they're cool, use a teaspoon to get under the shell and peel it away. Works great.

Czalmanoff is offline Junior Member
    Put them in a pan with about 1-2 to inches of water above them and add salt. Once the water starts to boil set the timer for 9 minutes and let them continue to boil. Once done, remove them from the pan and put them in cold ice water until they cool down, you may have to change the water a couple of times. Once cool, roll them on the counter to crack the shell and they should peel easily. Hope that helps.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I've always wanted to take deviled eggs to get-togethers mainly because everyone loves them so much.
    Same problem as you, cook 2 dozen to get a dozen "pretty" ones.
    Then I found on Amazon, Walmart probably has them too, an egg cooker, 4 eggs, water, 10 mins in microwave,
    shells nearly fall off, perfect every time!!

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Nordic ware the brand I bought
    Last edited by JudyCr; 07-07-2012 at 08:43 AM.

mejecs is offline Junior Member
    Buy an egg cooker! Best $20 you'll ever spend. I bought one about 12 years ago at a discount store and have used it every week since. Easily hard boils eggs (even soft boils eggs) perfectly and the shell just peels right off every time. Amazon.com: Electric Egg Cookers to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    One of the girls here was a sous chef and taught me this one. Works EVERY TIME and it's actually super simple.

Put a steamer basket (you know, like those expandable aluminum ones for veggies) in a pot and add water to just below the bottom of the steamer basket. Add eggs, cover, and set it on a medium flame. IMMEDIATELY set the timer for 20 minutes. Don't wait for it to boil or anything, just set the timer as soon as you put the pot on the flame.

When the timer goes off, turn off the flame and rinse the eggs in cold water. That's it. Super simple, and it's incredibly rare to have one that doesn't peel.

OneDeltaTenTango is right too. The membrane between the shell and the white/yolk can be too firmly attached if the egg is either way too fresh or too old, and then it's harder to peel.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hot eggs are easier to peel than cold eggs. Either way, when you peel them, crack them at the large end where the air space is, and then try to grab hold of the membrane just under the shell and peel that. It'll come off more easily with less digging.

To boil an egg, start it off in hand-hot water and bring it to the boil. Then simmer it for one minute, and take the eggs out. They'll carry on cooking in their shells; open them after one minute for soft-boiled or two for medium-hard. Even if you let them go cold, the yolk will still maintain some creaminess rather than going pale and crumbly with that green edge you get with a overboiled egg.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast