Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can You Boil an Egg? Then Tell Me! page 2

Maggie-- is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow, so many different ways...

I put the eggs in cold water with enough water to cover them (about 8 eggs in my pot) turn the stove on high, set the timer for 15 minutes. When the timer goes off, dump out the hot water, rinse with cold twice, and the second time keep the cold water with the eggs and add ice cubes to chill them. To peel them, tap the eggs on the counter to crack the shell, and I use a spoon under running tap water to get the shell off. Shape of the spoon follows the contours of the egg and I have a lot less accidents!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I have to agree with OneDeltaTenTango, if the eggs are too fresh, they don't peel well. I get my eggs from a local kid who raises chickens for 4H, and they're still warm from the hen when he delivers them. I can never get those to peel nicely unless I wait to boil them until they've been in the fridge a week.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all your help! I will try everything you all posted... pretty peeled eggs have just become my Holy Grail of kitchen can-do...

If anyone else has help, please do not stop posting!

I never knew there was such a thing as an egg cooker, for example. I really will have to check that out - I have a special-needs daughter, and I always keep my eyes open for ways she might be able to be more independent (the boiling water on the stove thing is just not safe for her and it probably never will be). Thanks!

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member
    yes, older eggs will peel, do this al the time. buy them ahead of time and give them three or four days to let the membrane in the egg age a bit, they will peel nicely.

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    If I want hard-cooked eggs, I always use older ones - they do peel more easily. The steamer idea sounds interesting though. I always just covered the eggs with water, put a lid on the pan, brought it barely to boil and then let them sit for 10 minutes off the heat without opening the lid. Plunge into ice water then peel under running water as needed. No rubbery green yolks.

(I don't normally like single-use appliances but now I want an egg cooker.)
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    If you use an egg cooker remember to be very careful removing it from the microwave. The cooker I have looks like a big white egg and holds 4 eggs.. The top, thankfully, does not snap tight.. I use 2 towels folded several times and take it out of the microwave very carefully, then I take a sharp little knife and kinda flip the top off where the top and bottom meet.

Boiling water so hold it steady and level when taking out. I take a spoon and scoop each egg out into a bowl of cold water, turn faucet on tiny stream, crack against the sink and peel under the running water.. So easy and perfect every time. I cook them for 10 minutes because I want to make deviled eggs, less time if you want runny yolks. Just experiment a couple of times to get it right for you.

Denvergoofy is offline Junior Member
    Use an egg indicator in the water with the egg. When it's red in the center it's ready. Also, drop in a pinch of baking soda for easy peeling.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Plunge into boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes. Take them out and allow to sit in cold water until they are cool to touch. Change the a couple of times if necessary to keep them cool.

Then very important! Tap lightly to make a crack. Then use the side of your thumb to gently remove the peel. Do not use your finger tips or finger nails as they will creat pits. It can also help if you hold them under running cold water as you peel them to remove any flakes of she'll rather than picking it off with your fingers.
    Last edited by Silky; 07-08-2012 at 09:24 AM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Another tip - if they've been sitting in the fridge overnight or longer, then I usually fill a short glass with hot water and let each egg sit in it for a minute or two while I'm peeling the one before it. Something about the warm water helps the membrane loosen its grip.

But I honestly don't have to do that anymore since I started steaming the instead of boiling them.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No need for a dedicated egg cooker, a food steamer works great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast