Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which butter is best? page

Pamsc is offline Senior Member

which butter is best?

Primal Fuel
    I was tempted to title this post: The best is the enemy of the good?

Here are my good choices:
    *roll butter--cultured butter from Amish country
    *raw milk butter from a local dairy, 100% Jersey cows that graze but also get hay and grain
    *Kerrygold butter
    *Organic Valley pasture butter (cultured)

Are Kerrygold and Organic Valley pasture actually from cows that eat only grass, or does everyone supplement with some grain to support milk production?

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Kerrygold is from grass fed cows and a lot of people on here recommend it. My personal favorite (also grass fed) is called Smjor from Iceland, but Whole Foods Market is the only retailer that sells it in the states. I like it because it has a lower water content than other butters so you're getting more what you pay for. Also it crisps things better (salmon skin anyone?), and it can take a higher heat than other butters without scorching.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Kerrygold is the best source I can find in my area and it's a good price at Trader Joe's... love it.

I really like the Amish made butter I can *sometimes* get at my local farmer's market.

I've used Kerrygold and Organic Valley before but don't really care for either.

I don't use butter for cooking very often. I prefer to use coconut oil or bacon grease to cook and just use the butter on my steak or mixed into a helping of scrambled eggs.

lovinYou is offline Junior Member
    Kerrygold is the one that I prefer and my mind is used to it. So no looking for other ones.

But wouldn't local raw milk butter be better than Kerrygold? Or is Kerrygold 100% grass fed?

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    What's wrong with Organic Valley "summer" butter?

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    I'd be tempted to go with the local butter. The grains will be a small proportion of the cows' diet if they're also being supplemented with hay (which is just grass) and probably only in the winter. Plus, A2 casein.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    The grains will be a small proportion of the cows' diet if they're also being supplemented with hay
    This is certainly possible but not necessarily true. You'd need to talk to the farmer and find out what his practices are. Many farms supplement grazing with grain every day, not just in the winter. Grass can be scarce in the dry summers too. This is particularly true of dairy cattle, where they really want a certain level of consistency as to what goes into the milk so it's not hugely different from month to month.

Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    I'd be tempted to go with the local butter. The grains will be a small proportion of the cows' diet if they're also being supplemented with hay (which is just grass) and probably only in the winter. Plus, A2 casein.
    It is a small operation (Home) so I suspect the cows are on pasture all day and get fed some grain while milking to keep production up, which might be necessary now as hot and dry as it is here. A2 casein is a protein--is it found in significant amounts in butter? I use their milk or raw goats milk for my kefir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast