Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which butter is best? page 2

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You know what kind of butter is the worst in the world? Anything Canadian. Holy crap. I was eating Kerrygold for a year in the states and came back to the bland, while chunks from sick dairy cows and am loath to eat it.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Kerrygold is a brand owned by the Irish Dairy Board, which markets butter for Irish farmers. It's no better than any other branded butter.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    Kerrygold is a brand owned by the Irish Dairy Board, which markets butter for Irish farmers. It's no better than any other branded butter.
    Yeah because all brands have the same standards. Fact is Kerrygold does use milk from grassfed cows. Not all brands do. Not all brands aspire to the same quality or achieve the same flavor.

Just be sure you're getting the Kerrygold original - they've recently snuck in a few tweaks here and there that might be a wee bit less than primal-perfect. This from an article last fall.

Smjor.

From Iceland.

Sustainable.

Clean.

Delicious.

Highest fat content I've ever found in butter.

Grass fed/finished.

Raw or for cooking I've never found a butter I like better. The only downside is that I'm fairly sure WFM is till the only retailer in the states allowed to carry it.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    Yeah because all brands have the same standards. Fact is Kerrygold does use milk from grassfed cows. Not all brands do. Not all brands aspire to the same quality or achieve the same flavor.

Just be sure you're getting the Kerrygold original - they've recently snuck in a few tweaks here and there that might be a wee bit less than primal-perfect. This from an article last fall.
    Kerrygold is just another brand in the UK and isn't all singing all dancing manna from Heaven because we don't have CAFOs in the EU and farmers don't feed growth hormones. Cows live outside most of the year and eat mostly grass as standard.

The only reason that farmers are feeding GM feed to cattle is because the Americans controlling most of the soya and maize (corn) which go into it, grow GM crops. European maize is non GM because the EU doesn't allow it to be grown. Consumers overwhelmingly don't want to eat GM food.

However under EU regulations milk, butter, cream or yogurt from animals fed with GM food do not need to be labelled as such. Only organic food has to be GM free AND not come from animals fed GM feed.

ANY butter from ANY European Union-member country will be mostly grass -fed but unless it is organic, it MAY come from animals which have been fed GM feed as supplements or over the winter.

Re: not all brands have the same standards.. standards aren't left up to brands in the EU, there are dairy industry European standards which dairy farmers and products must meet.

Perceptions of brands are subjective.. BMW might make you think Lacoste-wearing Preppy at the country club, it makes me think flashy South London drug dealer blingmobile.

Kerrygold might seem the bees knees to you, but if I was wanting premium butter I'd buy French butter from Normandy eg Bridel or Lescure. I used to buy President (there's an acute accent on the first e) from Normandy but the organic stuff is 2.99 GBP for 250g now when I can find it and I've switched to supermarket own brand organic at 1.49 GBP.
    Last edited by Artichoke; 07-09-2012 at 05:40 AM.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well that clarifies things a bit, but sadly the US is frankenfood friendly, so making a blanket statement about all branding being the same without noting that that blanket only covers EU products can really be misleading, and I wouldn't want someone who doesn't know any better to look at your prior assertion about all branding being equal and take it to mean that Land O'Lakes is just as good as Kerrygold (or other comparable EU butter) if they really want to find a clean primal friendly butter.

Kerrygold isn't even close to my personal recommendation (Icelandic Smjor is far superior IMO) but I frequently recommend Kerrygold (and I think many others here do as well) because I know no matter where the person lives - from New York City to Bumblebramble Alabama - they will be able to actually find Kerrygold at their local Kroger or Piggly Wiggly. It's grass fed butter and it's available damned near anywhere you go in the states, which just makes it a safe recommendation.

And it's good quality with a decent flavor.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 07-09-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12