Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to take care of your teeth? page

Whatyoudoing is offline Member

How to take care of your teeth?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Should I ditch the toothpaste?
    How do I clean my teeth? I've read about oil pulling and dry brushing etc.
    Also, is it best to have fruit and other sweet things only once a day to limit damage to the teeth?

Paleobird Guest
    I brush my teeth with baking soda because I don't like all the fake sweeteners in toothpaste. I really think the oil puling thing, while some people swear by it, is kinda silly. Harmless but pretty useless. JMO, YMMV, and all those other disclaimers.

rhiarti is offline Member
    I'm experimenting this week with just ditching the toothpaste. Mainly I'm gently dry brushing and/or using a water flosser. If my mouth feels bleughy, I'm swishing it round with bicarb in water. If my teeth feel skanky, I dip my toothbrush in bicarb before brushing. I spent a couple of days feeling a bit "oh no - my breath!", but after that it's all settled down.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I use a flouride-free toothpaste (just can't see myelf switching to nothing) called Jason Healthy Mouth. I get mine from Amazon, and there are a few different types.

I could see myself easily switching to baking soda if I ran out, though, and sometimes I'll just brush with a wet toothbrush, no paste.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    You definitely don't need toothpaste-it's just for flavor. That said, I tried going without for awhile and didn't like it, so I use EcoDent. I love oil pulling-used to have very sensitive teeth and since I started doing that I don't anymore, and it also whitens them some.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I usually use baking soda, sometimes just water and the brush. I keep floss in my bag and car, at home I use sharpened willow sticks.

How does oil-pulling whiten teeth - does it remove coffee stains and such?

I'm intrigued by oil-pulling but don't think I could manage it without hurling. I have what is probably the world's touchiest gag reflex; I regularly gag when brushing, tounge-scraping is totally out of the question, can't gargle, simple dental cleaning takes twice as long 'cause I have to re-group so often (my poor hygenist, he has the patience of a saint). I think the feel of oil in my mouth would be more of the same.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    I usually use baking soda, sometimes just water and the brush. I keep floss in my bag and car, at home I use sharpened willow sticks.

How does oil-pulling whiten teeth - does it remove coffee stains and such?
    I think the idea is that a lot of the stuff that stains your teeth is fat-soluble, so the oil actually gently dissolves the stain-y stuff off the enamel. It seems to work OK and it always leaves my mouth feeling pretty nice when I pull with coconut oil.

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    I'm intrigued by oil-pulling but don't think I could manage it without hurling. I have what is probably the world's touchiest gag reflex; I regularly gag when brushing, tounge-scraping is totally out of the question, can't gargle, simple dental cleaning takes twice as long 'cause I have to re-group so often (my poor hygenist, he has the patience of a saint). I think the feel of oil in my mouth would be more of the same.
    It made me feel a bit queasy the first few times, and I don't have a strong gag reflex. You could probably work up to it slowly by using a very small amount of oil, maybe a teaspoon to start out, and using a little more each day to get accustomed to the feeling. The less you use the less strong the taste and sensation are. And do it over the sink so if you feel like you need to spit and rinse, you can.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

SAdams is offline Member
    What is oil pulling?

SAdams is offline Member
    never mind, just looked it up on Wikipedia. I think I may try this with coconut oil instead of vegetable oil.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I think the idea is that a lot of the stuff that stains your teeth is fat-soluble, so the oil actually gently dissolves the stain-y stuff off the enamel. It seems to work OK and it always leaves my mouth feeling pretty nice when I pull with coconut oil.
    This. After I started drinking black coffee, my teeth were beginning to yellow. I started oil pulling immediately after my morning coffee, and they got whiter.

I think the main idea behind it, though, is detoxification, but I don't think it makes too much of a difference.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast