Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How to take care of your teeth? page 5

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I like sensible people. Oil pulling to me just seems like a waste of some good coconut oil.
    It may be. However, you seem to be agreeing with a post that pronounces de haut en bas that the known anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of coconut oil are something to do with pseudo-science (not that the poster probably had any conception of what "pseudo-science" actually means).

One of many papers on the use of coconut oil in infections:

Novel antibacterial and emollient effects... [Dermatitis. 2008 Nov-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI

Still, I guess, the NIH is a hotbed for the dissemination of pseudo-science.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    I had no idea... suddenly, the Roman practice of being rubbed down in olive oil after a work out and having it scraped off instead of showering doesn't seem to weird.

Maybe that's the next paleo treatment- VCO body rubs.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It may be. However, you seem to be agreeing with a post that pronounces de haut en bas that the known anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of coconut oil are something to do with pseudo-science (not that the poster probably had any conception of what "pseudo-science" actually means).

One of many papers on the use of coconut oil in infections:

Novel antibacterial and emollient effects... [Dermatitis. 2008 Nov-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI

Still, I guess, the NIH is a hotbed for the dissemination of pseudo-science.
    No, that post never said that coconut oil doesn't have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, just that swishing it around in your mouth doesn't "pull" anything anywhere.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Figlio di Moros View Post
    I had no idea... suddenly, the Roman practice of being rubbed down in olive oil after a work out and having it scraped off instead of showering doesn't seem to weird.

Maybe that's the next paleo treatment- VCO body rubs.
    Sounds great, particularly if the person doing the rub down is a hot young Roman.

pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Sounds great, particularly if the person doing the rub down is a hot young Roman.
    Abramovich? Polanski?
    All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Gargle with Iodine, of course!!

Ok ok. I use non-fluroide toothpaste and floss and that's it.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

DashFire is offline Senior Member

Miswak Success

The roomie and I biked over to an Islamic Bookstore today. (FYI - my first time biking in over a decade. No wrecks, so that's good. Though think I overdid it with 9 miles round trip.)

Not only did they have Miswak, they had three different options. So I bought them all. Both in the store and looking around online, it appears the going price for a piece of Miswak is $1. If you're paying more, you probably shouldn't.

[L-R: Altaiba, Al-Falah, Haleemi]

The Al-Falah & Haleemi brands were $1 each and the Altaiba was $2.25, as it also came with a holder. The Haleemi (far right) was positively huge by comparison (about 7.5" long and thick as a highlighter). Can't really imagine brushing with this beast. Maybe at still only $1 it's the "discount" brand of Miswak (that's a thing right?).

[My Altaiba Miswak after first use.]

When I opened the miswak, it was kind of a pungent smell. But once I cut about 1/2" off the bark, rinsed it off and started chewing to get it all bristley, it was fine -- kind of a mild earthy, maybe slightly gingery, taste. Had just eaten dinner, so went ahead and brushed with it. Was a bit awkward at first, and struggled to get the back of my bottom front teeth. Might need to cut it back further to allow for more bristle length. But overall, felt like I hit everything. Wasn't sure whether I needed to rinse my mouth after or not, but since it felt like I had a couple loose bristles in my mouth, I went ahead and did so, then rinsed the miswak off. My teeth definitely feel clean. Plan on using it exclusively this week instead of toothbrush & paste, so will report back for sure.

The Al-Falah brand is purchasable via Amazon.com (only $1/ea in a 3 or 5 pack) and haven't seen the other two online, but there are other available brands easily found via the Google machine.
    Last edited by DashFire; 07-14-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Quarter Italian, close enough?

Paleobird Guest
    No offense but those look like dog chews to me.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Figlio di Moros View Post
    Quarter Italian, close enough?
    Close enough.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast