Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fibrous carbohydrates = bad?! page 3

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Maybe you can eat all the leaves you want, but I can't. It pains me to admit that vegetables really aren't as great as they're cracked up to being, because I'd been a big vegetable/salad believer, but I feel so much better without all that roughage clogging up the system. It had nothing to do with fat, I even did 2 weeks of very high fat/protein and almost zero carb during an elimination diet - couldn't figure out why my constipation and pain was worse until I realized I was eating multiple avocadoes a day, and those fiber bombs have 10+ grams of fiber each.
    If you tell me avocados aren't good to eat I will definitely cry.

Where do you stand on herbs btw? I eat lots of parsley cos' it has such a high vitamin C content... (plus I like it)... is this screwing me up even more??

This exploration into food is something else... you make one change, then something else needs tweaking! Things were so much more simple when I was out drinking, taking drugs and eating cereal three times a day

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I've have 6+ years of experience with constipation and abdominal pain/bloating..went to gastroenterolosists, took just about every OTC laxative and old wives remedy (prunes, etc...) and increased my already reasonably high level of fiber, none of which helped, and fiber in particular made me consistently WORSE.

It wasn't until I discovered the gutsense website and started reading about how damaging fiber is that I understood what was going on with my digestive system. I highly recommend reading FIBER MENACE if you are serious about improving your long term digestive health.

I was hooked on the CW nonsense that fiber was healthy, until I realized that it made no sense - by definition, fiber is INDIGESTIBLE to the human system. We do not have the enzyme, cellulase, which breaks this down. As a result, fiber must be fermented in our guts, which can lead to gas, bloating, inflammation...

In a nutshell, the best things you can do are:

1) Reduce fiber (ESPECIALLY INsoluable fiber). The Fiber Menace recommendation is a max of 10-15g/daily, unless you have a serious acute problem, in which case you'd want it as close to zero as possible.

2) Take a good quality probiotic, eat plenty of fermented/cultured foods like yogurt, kim chee, etc...

3) Make sure you are eating enough good quality animal fat.

4) You may want to supplement with L-Glutamine, if you suspect you have leaky gut/digestive inflammation issues.

***Remember, this isn't a quick fix, and it will likely take weeks or months to heal, depending on how much damage you've got. Don't give up if your BM aren't perfect within a few days!

5) Hydro-C. This is a gentle form of Vitamin C - I ordered it from the gutsense website. It stimulates BM, but with none of the bad effects from laxatives like gas and bloating, and it is not addictive at all. It was the first thing I tried that actually consistently works - it has been a godsend suring the process of healing my IBS.

I've been doing all of the above and I've actually made dramatic improvement in healing my chronic constipation/IBS, which I never could have done without the info from gutsense.

Anyone who claims you need fiber is completely misinformed.

Your problems may not be as severe as mine, but damage from excessive fiber takes years to accumulate, and it's better to fix the situation before it gets past the point of no return. Fiber Menace does a beautiful job of explaining why people experience constipation when switching to low-carb diets, and why increasing fiber 'seems' to fix the problem, at least short term.

The links below have lots of great information:
    Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults

EFFECT
    fiber menace? Really? Lets take everything we know about something that is backed up by science and then decide it is BS because one book written by a quack says so? Oh wait, I guess it makes sense considering what site I am on.

Quote Originally Posted by ss14 View Post
    One might also reasonably "completely disregard" everything someone who is 5'8'', 300 says about nutrition.

Just saying.
    I would rather box freddie roach than floyd mayweather but I know who I would rather have train me.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Add to that "doesn't actually follow Primal or care about real live evidence (unless demanding it from us multiple times)" and you'll get an Amen from me.
    Real live evidence? You mean n=1 experiments that prove absolutely nothing?

#1 Those same studies are probably also praising PUFAs for being 'heart healthy'. Should we all go fry something in soybean oil just because they say it's heart healthy?

#2 No one is talking about heart health, we're talking digestive health...who cares if something is supposedly 'heart healthy' if it wreaks damage on the digestive system and leads to long-term disfunction.

#3 Everyone here already knows not to listen to what comes out of your stupid mouth. Why do you keep clogging up this forum with your useless comments?
    Vegetables wreak havoc on the digestive system? WTF is wrong with some of you and where do you come up with this garbage?

OMG, someone in the mainstream said something is healthy. CW is garbage, so obviously it isn't healthy!! Vegetables and nuts are bad for you guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    +1 to the above comments you know who you are!

PS
    Not to mention he has never posted a single study to say Primal is harmful or the whole grains are better than not eating them.
    The burden of proof is on YOU. You are the ones saying something is bad for you and should be eliminated from the diet. The burden of proof is on you.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    If you tell me avocados aren't good to eat I will definitely cry.

Where do you stand on herbs btw? I eat lots of parsley cos' it has such a high vitamin C content... (plus I like it)... is this screwing me up even more??

This exploration into food is something else... you make one change, then something else needs tweaking! Things were so much more simple when I was out drinking, taking drugs and eating cereal three times a day
    The thing is, no specific vegetable is bad for you; avocadoes have lots of great nutrients in them, plus they taste great as guacamole. I still eat avocado, but I'm careful to have a much smaller amount - maybe 1/4 (or even 1/2 on occasion) at a time. My digestive system, like many other people's, is very sensitive to fiber. I can have a few dates for example, or a serving of kale for example with no problem. But when I'm having multiple servings of highly fibrous veggies, that's when the real punishment happens.

I think herbs are great - from what I've read of their nutritional profiles, they seem like way more bang for the buck. I think the key is moderation. Obviously other people can handle some more fiber than I can, others less. If you love eating a barrel of parsley AND you have no trouble digesting it, I say keep right on. For me, I prefer to put all those great veggies like kale and cilantro in the juicer, so I can consume all the precious nutrients in a very digestible form and discard the indigestible roughage

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    The burden of proof is on YOU. You are the ones saying something is bad for you and should be eliminated from the diet. The burden of proof is on you.
    LOL we posted lots of links the time you were on.

And no the burden of proof is on YOU. You come onto a site that promotes healthy eating, everyone here finds a huge benefit to eating this way and then you try and tell us to eat more poisonous grains and processed foods so we can be more like you....get real.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Did you just ask if cauliflower is bad for you? Seriously? This is probably the stupidest thread I have ever read. I can't believe I have to try to defend fucking VEGETABLES to some of you retards.
    Interesting choice of language.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I feel sorry for him. He's obviously stuck in a rut and wants people to hate him. It's his only way of getting attention.

Guys, you know better - don't react to him.

Jim, if you open your mind a little and stop taking your frustrations out on a bunch of strangers you might at least find one place where you can get some support. I'm not replying to anything rude or disrespectful that you say again.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast