Thread: Best way to train for Mud Run page

Joefbs is offline Junior Member

Best way to train for Mud Run

Primal Fuel
    I am planning on doing my first mud run in October. I am wanting to know if anyone has tips on the best way to train for this type of race. I have never done anything like this and know tat it will be a big challenge to complete. So, I would greatly appreciate any experiences or tips on the best way to prepare.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    if you want to be competitive, check out the spartan race's Workout of the Day on their website. you can get them emailed to you, and they are designed to give you the conditioning you need for those races...especially some of the longer ones.
    but, if it's your first mud run, just go out and have fun. they are a blast. run a couple of miles a couple times a week, do some good body weight exercises like in primal blueprint fitness, and you'll be fine.
    which race are you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    if you want to be competitive, check out the spartan race's Workout of the Day on their website. you can get them emailed to you, and they are designed to give you the conditioning you need for those races...especially some of the longer ones.
    but, if it's your first mud run, just go out and have fun. they are a blast. run a couple of miles a couple times a week, do some good body weight exercises like in primal blueprint fitness, and you'll be fine.
    which race are you doing?
    I am doing The Sqwish Sqwash challenge in Odessa, FL. It's close to my house and does not look as difficult as the Tough Mudder. It's still an 8.5 mile course and I am by no means a long distance runner....actually I can't run a mile without stopping. But I will check out the site, thanks for the info!

a-ray is offline Member
    In my experience doing mud runs, I would say that working on your cardio with a some walking and sprint sessions, with maybe a light job every week would be the best thing for you. Typically the obstacles aren't that difficult. Just keeping up with a normal Primal fitness routine should be more than enough to prepare you for whatever task you come across.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joefbs View Post
    I am doing The Sqwish Sqwash challenge in Odessa, FL. It's close to my house and does not look as difficult as the Tough Mudder. It's still an 8.5 mile course and I am by no means a long distance runner....actually I can't run a mile without stopping. But I will check out the site, thanks for the info!
    some serious athletes will run an entire mud run, but tons of people start off running and switch to walking in no-time, so don't worry about not being able to keep up the endurance.
    a great program for increasing your ability to run is the couch to 5k program at coolrunnings.com. combine those workouts with some muscular endurance work (push ups, squats, lunges, pull ups, core work, mountain climbers, etc.) back to back, and you'll be able to kick some ass at that run.

Well i recently finished Insanity and am currently doing Insanity: Asylum, it's just the running outside and pull ups that are difficult for me. I appreciate your info though, these sites look very helpful!

WarlordBlade is offline Senior Member
    With many mud runs I've done often the max amount you run would be a half mile, then you do an obstacle - and depending on the number of people in the race or wave or whatever, you often end up standing around waiting your turn at some of the earlier obstacles before the pack thins out some!

I'm doing a Tough Mudder here in Utah in October (very excited for it and wish it was sooner!) and looking at the 12 mile course it looks like it will be 24 half mile runs with obstacles between the runs.

You have a while, so if you can run a half mile to a mile, stop and do some pushups or burpees or pullups or whatever - see if your legs recover enough to repeat. Good luck! Mud runs are SO fun!
    ~It's All Relative!~
    34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
    Fitness Blog - Instagram
    Join me on Fitocracy

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Stairs are also good preparation. Carrying some weight whilst you do it. Sound like fun mate, enjoy!

arnoldous is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mud run is also like a obstacle race. You can take up the challenge for more. The spartan race also looks fine in several aspects. I really appreciate you all for the same. Thanks for sharing.