Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liver... rated strongly inflammatory page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Liver... rated strongly inflammatory

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I understand liver is high in a lot of nutrients but it's also high in Omego 6 which means it rated strongly inflammatory according to this website... I am assuming that is the reason for that rating. So, do the high nutrients make up for this? Can I assume my pasture fed lamb liver has less Omega 6 and more Omega 3?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Lamb, variety meats and by-products, liver, cooked, braised

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I am pretty sure that website ranks anything high in fat as inflammatory.

I think liver is great, but probably not for daily consumption in large amounts.

ETA: I wouldn't worry about the O6 fats

Omega 6 Content of Common Foods – 180 Degree Health
    Last edited by jammies; 07-06-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, ignore that. Liver is great. Some would tell you to limit beef liver in particular to less than a pound a week based on the copper, but that doesn't mean you couldn't switch over and have a pound of chicken liver (less copper). Different animal livers have different nutritional properties. Oh, and again ignore that sites "inflammation" data. Its garbage.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    For Omega balancing, I don't really focus on individual foods. Think about the totality of your diet instead. If you're eating enough fish, don't be afraid of high O6 meat.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I don't really pay attention to any of it ...the calories, Omega 6, etc... just eat healthy primal foods. I just started a medication, though, for migraines and researched which nutrients it might deplete and vitamin A was one of them so I thought I better start eating liver more regularly. I went to look up the nutritional data for liver and came across that site and recalled it being used by Chris Kresser and that made me think it had some credibility.

macadamon is offline Junior Member
    There is no perfect food, just take in moderation. Livers (and eggs) are a good source for choline.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    I looked up everything I eat on the Inflammatory Factor website and nothing was more than -10 (the scale went down to -200)
    If you like liver eat it - the only thing I'd worry about was whether the animal had been fed GM feed.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Oh no! Liver is inflammatory. Everybody rush back to your cereal and yogurt!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Liver has a lot of copper? I have suddenly trouble with Post MS, which I think can be attributed to too much copper. I'll cut the liver out, then.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    Liver has a lot of copper? I have suddenly trouble with Post MS, which I think can be attributed to too much copper. I'll cut the liver out, then.
    Beef liver does. Chicken liver does NOT. So you could limit your beef liver and still get plenty of chicken liver without worrying about it. Basically you have to look up each animals liver profile separately.

For instance chicken liver has 0.1mg of copper/ounce (7% of DV)

beef liver has 4.0mg of copper/ounce (200% of DV)

lamb liver has 2.0mg of copper/ounce (99% of DV)
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-07-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast