Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I have the tools but can't use them. page 2

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Fast until you are legitimately ravenous, then whatever you eat will be delicious.
    Yup, hunger is the best seasoning.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    I think a lot of (most?) people here follow the big-piece-of-meat-with-vegetables-on-the-side meal model, which (for me) means you get to eat something nice (meat) followed by a bunch of unappetizing stuff you have to choke down (vegetables, especially raw ones). I don't like that, so I don't do it.
    Why are you going on about raw veg? Last I checked primal wasn't about eating them raw and as for covered in a fat, this is actually better for you as many vitamins are fat soluble so you need to eat fat with them. Some people here do go heavy on the meat and small serving of veg but many don't. Or don't regularly. Breakfast for me is usually meat and eggs, lunch is often only plant matter with some fat and dinner is often equally split. If someone has a sensory processing disorder it's at least understandable (and they should probably be doing GAPS) but the vast majority are just being picky, which often originates for childhood power struggles or parents who had crappy diets or never cared what their kids ate. If a person wants to continue to eat like this then that's their choice but telling a person that wants to change that there's nothing wrong with their eating is pretty crappy advice.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I was interpreting the original post as being like my niece who I have never seen eat anything except spaghetti-ohs and white bread. I don't think she has ever eaten anything else. I just don't understand how that happens (well obviously, it's parenting), but more than that, why doesn't it clear up on its own?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    If someone has a sensory processing disorder it's at least understandable (and they should probably be doing GAPS) but the vast majority are just being picky, which often originates for childhood power struggles or parents who had crappy diets or never cared what their kids ate. If a person wants to continue to eat like this then that's their choice but telling a person that wants to change that there's nothing wrong with their eating is pretty crappy advice.
    All I'm saying is that I don't like vegetables much either, and so I know what it's like to consider yourself (and be considered by others to be) a picky/immature eater. And here's why I don't like them, and what I've been able to do to make myself want to eat them. I never said "Go ahead and be a picky eater and don't eat any vegetables!" I said "This is what worked for me, maybe it'll work for you too." OP never said anything about why they don't like vegetables. For all I know, they have the same issues as I do. And if so, maybe my method will help.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yeah, I was interpreting the original post as being like my niece who I have never seen eat anything except spaghetti-ohs and white bread. I don't think she has ever eaten anything else. I just don't understand how that happens (well obviously, it's parenting), but more than that, why doesn't it clear up on its own?
    I have no idea what OP's situation is. But if it's similar to mine, then maybe my advice can help. If not, they can disregard. I used to eat spaghetti-os and white bread nearly every single day before I went primal and figured out I could add fat to healthy food to make it more palatable to me. I mean, you couldn't pay me enough to live on dry chicken breasts and steamed vegetables. I'd shoot myself in the face. Even vegetables with melted butter drizzled on top just tastes like cardboard with melted butter drizzled on top. So I just ate total junk because it was the only thing I did find palatable. I figured vegetables were just a lost cause for me and I would never like them. It wasn't until I started SOAKING vegetables in fat that they became nice to eat. Maybe OP is in the same situation and just hasn't figured it out yet. I don't know. I'm just trying to help.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    There have been a few crybaby posts every now and then from people who just don't like vegetables or meat or liver or anything healthy and all they can eat is pablum (plus anything that comes in a wrapper somehow seems palatable to them). I don't think there is any hope for people like that. I suggest maybe you try actual baby food. Get the squash and carrots and beef stew and see if can work your way up. I don't mean to be harsh even though I totally am being harsh, but I honestly don't understand people who have no ability to develop adult tastes in food.
    Some people have incredibly sensitive tastebuds and find flavors in veggies objectionable. These are flavors that most people cannot even taste - so they can't really judge and say "just get over it".

I have a very sensitive palate and a crazy sensitive sense of smell. I can become nauseated and get a blistering headache from smell that other people barely register. It's not because I'm a "crybaby". Just because you don't experience something yourself, it doesn't mean its not real.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Some people have incredibly sensitive tastebuds and find flavors in veggies objectionable. These are flavors that most people cannot even taste - so they can't really judge and say "just get over it".

I have a very sensitive palate and a crazy sensitive sense of smell. I can become nauseated and get a blistering headache from smell that other people barely register. It's not because I'm a "crybaby". Just because you don't experience something yourself, it doesn't mean its not real.
    Completely agreed. I personally have sensory processing disorder, and I think it's a lot more common than people think. And to someone who doesn't have it, I just look like an overly-sensitive, picky weirdo. I regularly smell things other people can't (or can barely) smell. And, to me, it can be completely overpowering. I've actually had to break up with people before because they smelled so nauseatingly bad to me. And they thought I was making it up because no one else could detect the smell. Meanwhile, I think other people must be lying to them, because how could you NOT smell it?? Also, I despise the feel of clothing and have always ripped everything off as soon as I walk in the door, even when I was little.

Is my aversion to the mouthfeel of vegetables related? Probably. I can't handle many flavors and textures, and I kind of resent being told to grow up and start liking things that frankly freak my senses out. I think some things are just objectively horrible and sometimes I would rather eat straight-up dirt. But no one has a gun to my head, forcing me to enjoy liver. So I just eat what works for me and shrug it off.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 07-07-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Is my aversion to the mouthfeel of vegetables related? Probably. I can't handle many flavors and textures, and I kind of resent being told to grow up and start liking things that frankly freak my senses out. I think some things are just objectively horrible and sometimes I would rather eat straight-up dirt. But no one has a gun to my head, forcing me to enjoy liver. So I just eat what works for me and shrug it off.
    Sweetie, one daughter of mine has a MAJOR sensory processing disorder (diagnosed at age 3) and another daughter has a sensory processing disorder as well (diagnosed at age 8). YOUR OBJECTIONS TO FOOD ARE DEFINITELY PART OF THE SPD! If you know that you have this difficulty, how is it that you don't know that the oral challenges are part of it? Have you ever been in therapy for this? I ask because the majorly affected kid goes to therapy to this day, and the middly-affected kid was seen for an intensive stint and then released (because the OT taught her how to take care of herself).

You have done a freakin' fantastic job of developing coping skills with the food challenges yourself!!

I actually wondered myself if the OP has this issue. If he writes back, I just may suggest he be evaluated by an OT. For these kinds of neurological issues, therapy is sooooo worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Sweetie, one daughter of mine has a MAJOR sensory processing disorder (diagnosed at age 3) and another daughter has a sensory processing disorder as well (diagnosed at age 8). YOUR OBJECTIONS TO FOOD ARE DEFINITELY PART OF THE SPD! If you know that you have this difficulty, how is it that you don't know that the oral challenges are part of it? Have you ever been in therapy for this? I ask because the majorly affected kid goes to therapy to this day, and the middly-affected kid was seen for an intensive stint and then released (because the OT taught her how to take care of herself).

You have done a freakin' fantastic job of developing coping skills with the food challenges yourself!!
    Hi No, I've never gone to therapy for it. My mom has always just sighed exasperatedly and rolled her eyes at my "weirdness". So I just deal with it however I need to. I used to not be able to wear any clothing with tags or pockets or rough seams, or white clothing (bleaching made the fibers rougher and it felt like sandpaper to me). I still hate socks and still can't stand loud noises. Some colors make me feel nauseous (especially pinks and oranges). I still have aversions to certain textures. I used to have a problem with touching paper, and I still can't stand the idea of eating anything off a wooden stick. Thinking about biting down on wood makes me want to scream in horror. I also can't stand repetitive, absentminded rubbing, like if a partner is sitting next to me on the couch with their arm around me and keeps brushing their thumb against my skin. That is excruciatingly painful, but I feel bad for having to make a big deal about it.

It's never been anything that severely affects my ability to live life, I just have to do things a little differently sometimes. And I get a little sick of hearing things like "WELL YOU WOULDN'T GET BLISTERS ON YOUR FEET IF YOU WORE SOCKS!!!"

Completely agreed. I personally have sensory processing disorder, and I think it's a lot more common than people think.
    If it's SPD then it's a whole other issue. I do think it's probably more common than most believe, I have a touch that goes with my ADHD (Mostly sound. My heightened sense of smell is related to vasomotor rhinitis.), but not nearly as common as just never being properly exposed to a varied diet that includes an assortment of vegetables. That said, if you have SPD then look into a GAPS diet which some have found helpful.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi I used to have a problem with touching paper, and I still can't stand the idea of eating anything off a wooden stick. Thinking about biting down on wood makes me want to scream in horror.
    Okay, that's just weird. You're the only other person I know who can't eat off of wooden things. Popsicle sticks send me into a meltdown. Nails on a chalkboard, no problem. Wood on teeth? Total flip-out.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast