Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bad is rice milk? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

How bad is rice milk?

Shop Now
    It's a little habit I picked up during my vegan days, when I believed it to be healthy! I'm guessing it's pretty processed and definitely non-primal. Does anyone know how bad it is?

Giving it up won't be so hard, since I've discovered the taste explosion of cream in my coffee

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    I can't look at this thread again then. My son is dairy intolerant (but tolerates yoghurt) and has been having two bottles a day since he was 18 months old. I hope I haven't ruined him! Personally I find it horribly sweet. I buy the organic rice milk, it's double the price of the supermarket ones, but here's hoping.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    How do you milk a grain of rice? lol

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    I can't look at this thread again then. My son is dairy intolerant (but tolerates yoghurt) and has been having two bottles a day since he was 18 months old. I hope I haven't ruined him! Personally I find it horribly sweet. I buy the organic rice milk, it's double the price of the supermarket ones, but here's hoping.
    Have you considered at least liquefying some yoghurt into it to a milky consistency?
    Surely better than just drinking starch water...
    Plus it would take some of the too sweet appeal away from it...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    YogaBare,

I was making my own organic rice milk & amazake ALOT in the late 80s,early 90s when I became macrobiotic. It was fun, cheap & delicious to make it fresh, & my only reaction to it was pleasure.

Those premade rice, almond, oat milks (soups etc) anything in aseptic containers are enzymatically dead, vastly inferior shadows of the real thing ie homemade. So if that's your perogative to do rice or almond milk regularly or serve it non-primal members of your family who miss drinking/using cow's milk, then make it yourself in your kitchen. Just remember that ANY food in aseptic containers is DEAD, that's how it has shelf life of years & years: there's nothing alive in it to die & go bad. To test & confirm that theory years ago in the mid 90s, I chugged an entire container of organic Rice Dream & felt like I swallowed sand. The next step, a couple of days later, was to make homemade organic rice milk myself in my kitchen, cool it & repeat the chug test. I felt full but fine. I stopped buying/drinking/eating anything from those aseptic containers from that day forward.

Rice is pretty innocent as long as you don't have intolerance to the prolamine in it. ALL GRAINS have some form of gluten/prolamine, rice included. But not everyone reacts to it. Oats mess w/ my digestion, but neither rice nor wheat have any noticeable physical effect on me, I just abstain eating grains coz I embrace primal living concepts for the most part.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I made my own almond milk at home for years before discovering that my intolerance to dairy was actually to processed dairy.
    It was simple to make and I liked drinking it...
    I didn't like the rice milk.
    And was positive that soy milk was straight from the devil... good intuition on my part... based on it tasted GROSS.

But now I prefer my raw milk and raw yoghurt for the small amount of dairy that I use.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    YogaBare,

I was making my own organic rice milk & amazake ALOT in the late 80s,early 90s when I became macrobiotic. It was fun, cheap & delicious to make it fresh, & my only reaction to it was pleasure.

Those premade rice, almond, oat milks (soups etc) anything in aseptic containers are enzymatically dead, vastly inferior shadows of the real thing ie homemade. So if that's your perogative to do rice or almond milk regularly or serve it non-primal members of your family who miss drinking/using cow's milk, then make it yourself in your kitchen. Just remember that ANY food in aseptic containers is DEAD, that's how it has shelf life of years & years: there's nothing alive in it to die & go bad. To test & confirm that theory years ago in the mid 90s, I chugged an entire container of organic Rice Dream & felt like I swallowed sand. The next step, a couple of days later, was to make homemade organic rice milk myself in my kitchen, cool it & repeat the chug test. I felt full but fine. I stopped buying/drinking/eating anything from those aseptic containers from that day forward.

Rice is pretty innocent as long as you don't have intolerance to the prolamine in it. ALL GRAINS have some form of gluten/prolamine, rice included. But not everyone reacts to it. Oats mess w/ my digestion, but neither rice nor wheat have any noticeable physical effect on me, I just abstain eating grains coz I embrace primal living concepts for the most part.
    Unless you were allergic to the prolamines in rice I would imagine it should be ok. I googled this:

"If we look at the different grains we find that each has its own prolamine. The following list gives the type of prolamine each grain contains, and the percentage of protein the prolamine has in relationship to the entire grain":

Wheat - Gliadin - 69%
    Rye - Secalinin - 30-50%
    Oats - Avenin - 16%

Barley - Hordein - 46-52%
    Millet - Panicin - 40%
    Corn - Zien - 55%
    Rice - Orzenin - 5%
    Sorghum - Kafirin - 52%

Rice has to be by far the safest at 5%....unless of course you had a pretty severe allergy......

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Good point - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Have you considered at least liquefying some yoghurt into it to a milky consistency?
    Surely better than just drinking starch water...
    Plus it would take some of the too sweet appeal away from it...
    [/I]

I think I'm going to just stop giving it to him, he's jsut turned three and doesn't need it anymore. At first I was worried about calcium, but he has yoghurt every day (only for the alst 3 months or so) so I think he might be growing out of the intolerance.

YogaBare,

I buy fresh rice milk, it has to be kept in the fridge and has a shelf life of 3 weeks. Is this still 'dead'? It must be better than the long life stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast