Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's why shoulder stuff is gone from PBF. page

BamaAla is offline Member

Here's why shoulder stuff is gone from PBF.

Shop Now
    There were some questions a while back about the overhead stuff missing from the newer version of PBF. Mark's crew said that it was because of the difficulty of the inverted stuff. I found out firsthand today!

It was finally time to start step 1 of CC hand stand push-ups which is a head stand. I get my pillow out, position it, psyche myself up, kick over, and promptly crash to the ground with a loud pop and see stars. The way I fell was on my neck with my back crashing against the wall and a loud audible pop; I'm now in a state of pain! My right side upper back and right side under my chest is hurting pretty bad and deep breaths hurt.

Newbies be careful when starting overhead stuff.

P.S. any advice on how I should deal with the pain? I don't really think I should see a doctor (unless this pain continues,) but what do y'all think?

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    ICE ICE & MORE ICE.

Honestly it's the best first aid for this sort of thing. If it still hurts in the morning go see a doctor.

I also find alternating ice and heat is nice.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Might work differently in the US but here in the UK but I wouldn't bother going to a doctor, I'd just pay 40 and get it checked by a decent private physio/chiro.

Doctor will just throw anti-inflammatories at you and refer you.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Might work differently in the US but here in the UK but I wouldn't bother going to a doctor, I'd just pay 40 and get it checked by a decent private physio/chiro.

i would suggest the same in the US. i only see my doctor when i want a referral

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member

I'll third that.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

BamaAla is offline Member
    Thanks for the help my Primal friends. I'm icing and taking some Aleve. I think I'll be alright; although, I do anticipate some major league soreness and probably a week off from working out.

Again, please be careful on your first attempt at going upside down; I don't want to see anymore threads like this one!

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, when you try your first head/handstand it's a good idea to have someone there to spot you and help prevent that kind of thing. I almost broke a rib when I first tried way back when...
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

Ditto....and BTW the pop part is a bit scary. Sometimes that means a ruptured tendon (did in my case). Hopefully not for you. Hope its a quick and easy recovery. Like said ICE and REST for a few days and move as much as you can without pain. Work to the pain but not through it.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I think the decision to put inverted presses in the original program was always a bad idea - especially as it isn't really an OH press at all. I'm guessing it was done to eradicate the need for any additional equipment rather than a reasoned choice.

Agree with the advice about seeing a physio/osteo.

Best of luck with the progressions when you get back into it.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    i've done similar, and haven't tried again since. which is a shame, because i was somewhat close to doing a forearm stand. i fourth the chiro recommendation. doctors are worthless for this sort of thing unless you're seeing a good osteopath.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast