Thread: Summer sleep hours? page

sdwriter is offline Junior Member
    San diego, CA

Summer sleep hours?

Shop Now
    So I've read in Mark's book and posts that we're suppose to sleep 9.5 hours during 7 months of the years and "less in the summer".

How much less? Is there a stated time like the rest of the year?

Thank you so much for your help

Paleobird Guest
    Hello fellow San Diegan!

I find my sleep varies by if we are having a coastal fog morning or not. I get up earlier if the sun is out and sleep in a bit later if it's still overcast.

There's not really any particular number that thou shalt have. I find I do best somewhere between 8 and 9 hours without much variation by season. Also, I think people who live where there is a dramatic change in climate with the seasons might have a more dramatic difference between their summer and winter sleep patterns.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I'm interested to see if my sleep patterns change as it cools off. I currently sleep about 6.5 hours a night and have a siesta during the hottest part of the day, which makes total sense from an evolutionary standpoint. Fortunately I work from home so can do this.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Right now in N California it stays fairly light until 10pm and starts getting light about 5am, which makes it really hard to sleep more than 7 hours. I suppose I could get black-out curtains, but I'd rather take a 20 minute nap in the afternoon. (My husband and I have a running joke about 20 minute naps: not 10 minutes, not 30 minutes. 20 minutes seems to be the natural time interval for our naps.)

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    my body has felt more tired lately and I think it's the sunlight waking me up too early. But I too have resorted to some afternoon napping when needed.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Spalding, Lincolnshire
    I'm fairly consistent. Go to bed at 22:30ish, make a cup of tea at 06:35 and get up at 07:30ish. That's pretty much it all year round. If I feel like a doze on a Sunday afternoon after a couple of glasses of wine, I may go to bed a little later but still get up at the same time.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

rhiarti is offline Member
    I normally find myself dropping down to around 6.5-7 hours in the summer, but summer's basically been cancelled in Britain this year so I'm still on spring/autumn sleeping time!

Mainly I'd say just go with what your body wants/needs, though... it's usually pretty smart about these things.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Newark, Delaware USA
    Learn More
    Unfortunately I work, so my hours are the same year around unless I'm on vacation. About 6 to 6.5 hours a night. I generally go to bed around 10 pm and get up between 4:30 and 5 am. On the weekends I sleep about an hour to an hour and a half more.