Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feel like I should be bigger and stronger. like Grok! page

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member

Feel like I should be bigger and stronger. like Grok!

Been thinking why some of us hard gainers are the way we are. Why is it that we're generally smaller and can't pack on any extra weight? I thought it might have something to do with the food we had growing up, or our mom's diet during pregnancy. Remember one of Mark's posts about humans getting smaller and frailer as grains were bought into the diet, and I wonder if this is the main reason. I don't think that I reached my full potential growth and I'm 24 now so there's not much that can be done I guess. I'm 5'9" and 52 kilo's, so quite underweight for a guy. Just thought I'd start a thread and ask if there are any other reasons why we didn't reach our full potential growing up. If I had a kid I'd like them to get the most out of their genes and I suspect if they were raised primally they'd probably be healthier and stronger than their dad. So what's your take on this. Would many smaller folk have been bigger adults if they were growing up on a primal diet?
    Last edited by randallfloyd; 07-06-2012 at 12:21 PM.

parrottrl is offline Member
    Even before I knew about PB and Paleo, I knew on an instinct level that all the horrible food my parents fed me as a kid and adolescent made me short.

I am 5'2". Mom - 5'7", Dad - 5'10"

My great depression-era grandparents were somewhat shorter (5'4", 5'4", 5'8", 5'10), but again, diet.

Two of of great-grandparents were over 6' tall. The rest I do not know about.

The only thing ever wanted to be as a kid was tall. Reasonably, I think I should have made it to 5'5" at least!

Quote Originally Posted by parrottrl View Post
    Even before I knew about PB and Paleo, I knew on an instinct level that all the horrible food my parents fed me as a kid and adolescent made me short.

I am 5'2". Mom - 5'7", Dad - 5'10"

My great depression-era grandparents were somewhat shorter (5'4", 5'4", 5'8", 5'10), but again, diet.

Two of of great-grandparents were over 6' tall. The rest I do not know about.

The only thing ever wanted to be as a kid was tall. Reasonably, I think I should have made it to 5'5" at least!
    Yeah it's a bummer, especially if you're a guy. Not so bad if you're a girl. I never got any vitamin D growing up either think that may have contributed - was teased for being skinny through school so always used to cover up my arms, even on a hot summer day! Wish I hadn't let it get to me now. Pretty sure D is among the most vital things for a young growing human. Doesn't bother me to that extent now, but would still like to fill out somewhat, and reach average weight.

I am a fat burner though and that's awesome, just completed a first 20 hour fast with a workout

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randallfloyd View Post
    Been thinking why some of us hard gainers are the way we are. Why is it that we're generally smaller and can't pack on any extra weight? I thought it might have something to do with the food we had growing up, or our mom's diet during pregnancy. Remember one of Mark's posts about humans getting smaller and frailer as grains were bought into the diet, and I wonder if this is the main reason. I don't think that I reached my full potential growth and I'm 24 now so there's not much that can be done I guess. I'm 5'9" and 52 kilo's, so quite underweight for a guy. Just thought I'd start a thread and ask if there are any other reasons why we didn't reach our full potential growing up. If I had a kid I'd like them to get the most out of their genes and I suspect if they were raised primally they'd probably be healthier and stronger than their dad. So what's your take on this. Would many smaller folk have been bigger adults if they were growing up on a primal diet?
    Be happy you are a hard-gainer- it's a much easier fix than the other end of the spectrum. Just eat plenty(i.e. way more than you think you even can) and lift properly(SS or something similiar)- anyone can pack on 20lbs of muscle in a few months this way. (I train hard-gainers as part of my job.)

parrottrl is offline Member
    Yeah it's a bummer, especially if you're a guy. Not so bad if you're a girl.
    I really have to disagree. At work, I have to fetch a step stool 15 - 20 times a day just to reach things my coworkers can grab something off a shelf without even stretching their arms all the way! One of our customers made fun of me just this week when he saw me carrying one. The embarrassment didn't stop when school let out, at least not for me. Shortness is universally painful, IMHO.

Parrottrl, I apologize for the gross generalization. Falling into the error of stereotyping there
    Sorry to hear it's a pain for you.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I was a weak and skinny guy in my early years (always picked last, etc.) then turned into a weak and fat guy, so gaining muscle was a real struggle for me - but lifting free weights,following a real training program seriously, and eating more than I ever wanted to, every day, I managed to get my lifts up to not-embarrassing levels and have some muscle to show for it. I went from 7 pushups, max, to a 355 deadlift (dunno how many pushups, more than 7!) and still working on it. You can do it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Be happy you are a hard-gainer- it's a much easier fix than the other end of the spectrum.
    Yes and no. Some of the success stories on here are incredible where people have been able to drop 100lbs and end up really ripped and strong, and to keep hold of that physique they lift here and there, fast, and eat primal. The potential was always there - eat right and it just happens for them. The hard gainer doesn't have that potential to gain muscle and strength like that. I could gain a couple of pounds through through intense, structured workouts and by eating 'til I burst, but I don't do it because it's not natural or sustainable. If the SAD diet were the only diet, then yeh, the hard gainer is blessed. The hard gainer who wants natural gain, however, can't get it through any means.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I was a weak and skinny guy in my early years (always picked last, etc.) then turned into a weak and fat guy, so gaining muscle was a real struggle for me - but lifting free weights,following a real training program seriously, and eating more than I ever wanted to, every day, I managed to get my lifts up to not-embarrassing levels and have some muscle to show for it. I went from 7 pushups, max, to a 355 deadlift (dunno how many pushups, more than 7!) and still working on it. You can do it.
    Cool success story. Do you have to limit your workouts though. i.e. making sure not to do too much exercise, in order to hold the weight on?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Yes and no. Some of the success stories on here are incredible where people have been able to drop 100lbs and end up really ripped and strong, and to keep hold of that physique they lift here and there, fast, and eat primal. The potential was always there - eat right and it just happens for them. The hard gainer doesn't have that potential to gain muscle and strength like that. I could gain a couple of pounds through through intense, structured workouts and by eating 'til I burst, but I don't do it because it's not natural or sustainable. If the SAD diet were the only diet, then yeh, the hard gainer is blessed. The hard gainer who wants natural gain, however, can't get it through any means.
    As someone who watches these things all day, the success ratio for hardgainers adding muscle is much higher than people who lose much weight or become ripped. Really, if you do the proper program as a hardgainer, you will get hungry and want to eat the amount of food that it takes. It's a natural process. It's incredibly straight forward compared to either reversing obesity or getting ripped. All my "hardgainer" clients have a walk in the park compared to the rest. It's usually 6-12 weeks of work(or just 36 workouts!), depending on compliance, then maintenance. It's predictable, and the variables are very few. It's never that easy for any of my other clients- even the best complying and most straightforward ones who are trying to reverse obesity need 6-12 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast