Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love hot sauce! page

lmac1210 is offline Junior Member

Love hot sauce!

Primal Fuel
    I am a huge fan of hot sauce instead of salt and a few other spices. Is there any Paleo hot sauces? I love the taste of Frank's Hot Sauce, but it is laden with vinegar (beginning the first 30 days Monday) and guess this is out for now anyway. Does anybody know if I can find something else? I like the cayenne instead of most peppers because I have seen where that has more medicinal effects than other peppers.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    What's wrong with vinegar? From The Whole30 Program | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

"Vinegar. Most forms of vinegar, including white, balsamic, apple cider, red wine, and rice, are allowed during your Whole30 program. The only exceptions are vinegars with added sugar, or malt vinegar, which generally contains gluten."

Tercio

Betorq is offline Senior Member

Love hot sauce?! Make your own fast, cheap & healthy

Habaneros are my go-to chili pepper. Simple to make: de-stem & wash 'em, throw in blender w/ fresh squeezed lime juice. I scrape off the left over pulp & use some of the lime peel too. Small to medium amount of sea salt, some water to get it blending, maybe some cilantro if I have it handy. Voila. Depending on what's on sale, or looks good I may buy Thai (rat shit) chillis, cayennes or whatever else may be on sale. I frequent Asian & Hispanic grocers for odds & ends & some exotics. Got some Korean hot peppers few weeks ago, they were ok for a change. I've been a unrepentant hot pepper addict for about 17+ years, cemented since my 1st trips to India & Asia.

Where in Georgia are you Imac? I'm in Duluth area of Atl for the summer.

Btw, I use vinegar at times for making my own hot sauce, ACV or even white vinegar if in a pinch.
    Last edited by Betorq; 07-06-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: typo

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I put that shit on everything!

lmac1210 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the quick info guys....Tercio thanks for that link! Even though Wolf says to stay on his plan for a month I think the hot sauce could be my one thing I won't give up....although I will try Betorq's recipe to make my own, but I sure do love some Frank's although processed it doesn't contain the "ugly" stuff

Betorq I am just outside of Augusta. BTW I am a hot pepper addict as well!

Try putting raw garlic & onion in there too w/ the peppers, it quantumly hikes up the heat & medicinal factor.
    Chili heads unite!
    Straight chilis are hot, but not the 'heaviest' heat imo. Indian food is/can be so wickedly hot, from the variety of spices & care/time to mix & cook them, some hit you high, others low & medium parts of your palate. Indian food is the hottest I've ever eaten, particularly in the southern state of Andrah Pradesh, where chili & garlic makes up about 50-60% by volume of the total food they eat, lol. One time in South Thailand, I ate in a side alley local restaurant, a seafood soup so spicy, my ears & face turned red before I was 1/2 way thru it, & sweat was running down my legs/ankles & pooling in my sandals, lol. My friend gave up on his soup, bowed out, & I finished his after I was done w/ mine. Macho man stuff I no longer engage in, but some pretty funny memories on the spice trail. I was in Kerala once when the people rioted in the streets in response to escalating prices of onions, they more than doubled in price & people freaked out. That was surreal showing of violence over ...onions.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    YW. If you like it hot, Naga Bhut Jolokia are the hottest peppers in the world. From India, as Betorq probalbly found out, and are available on Amazon. Makes a killer (literally) hot sauce.

Tercio

Well, as for existing peppers in the world, quite recently there are technically a couple that are ranking even hotter ones than Bhut Nagas, further hybridized to maximize capsicum content into the astronomical heat range, well past 1mil SHU, the Scoffield Heat Unit, by which all hotness is ranked. But they are practically inedible they are so damn hot. One drop of those uber-extracts are enough to empower large amounts of homemade sauce! Sure to burn yer mouth, gut & yer butt, for a 3-in-one burn.

In my opinion thru past personal experience, you can overdo it & temporarily ruin your taste buds as well as put a hurtin on yer gut & yer butt. It will keep all systems clear though, lol

Chili Peppers: Not just for Pepper Sprays anymore

World's Hottest Chili Used as Elephant Repellent
    BBC NEWS | South Asia | India plans hot chilli grenades

From Wikipedia :

Uses

Bhut Jolokia is used as a food and a spice as well as a remedy to summer heat, presumably by inducing perspiration in the consumer.[9] In northeastern India, the peppers are smeared on fences or incorporated in smoke bombs as a safety precaution to keep wild elephants at a distance.[25][26]

As a weapon

In 2009, scientists at India's Defence Research and Development Organisation announced plans to use the peppers in hand grenades, as a non lethal way to flush out terrorists from their hideouts and to control rioters. It will also be developed into pepper spray as a self defense product.[27][28]
    R. B. Srivastava, the director of the Life Sciences Department at the New Delhi headquarters of India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (who also led a defense research laboratory in Assam), said bhut jolokia-based aerosol sprays could be used by women as a "safety device", and "civial variants" of chili grenades could be used to control and disperse mobs.[29]

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use Sylvia's Triple Strength hot sauce. It's not as hot as the name suggests, but it's good. Ingredients are: aged red cayenne peppers, distilled vinegar, water, salt, natural flavoring, and xanthan gum.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast