Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member

Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians

Primal Fuel
    Okay - I blame it on all of you. You know who you are. The ones who decided to get healthy. The ones who decided to get strong. The ones who write just incredible journals full of honesty and hope and fun...

This is your fault. And your punishment is - HAVING ME AMONG YOU

You know that Toby Keith song "I Wanna Talk About Me"? Well, it's gonna be ME ME ME ME ME.

SO, without any further delay, it is on to ME.

----

Dear Journal -

I joined the MDA forum Journals page today. That was huge for me. Hubby and I live really private lives, and he doesn't know about this journal yet. Not that I need his permission, but we have been in agreement that we will be invisible for the most part. Not a one of us has ever had a Facebook account. No Tweets. No family websites. No nuthin'. We like it that way. So - this feels like an about-face to me. Don't expect any photos for a good, long time here, if ever...

Hubby does know that I write on the MDA. Dunno' if he checks my posts every day. I really don't mind if he does - if I did, I really shouldn't be putting it up here... At the very least he hasn't come back to me and said something like "You wrote THIS today?!?!".

I already made one of those Hello Let Me Introduce Myself posts. I have been writing responses to posts, for better or worse, for around a month. Met lots of just plain ole' nice, funny, honest, thoughtful, helpful, cantankerous, interesting, sympathetic, supportive, accepting people. And oh, my, gawd - NickMcCool. Next time I go to Westerville I really should try finding his gym. The only thing that will prevent me is the almost-certain knowledge that I will find myself in the parking lot under the blazing sun, strapped to one of his instruments of torture as I get flayed with a pulley cable by one of his Dudes, and not let up until I do reps until I puke or pass out - 45 times (my age)...and my reward will be a stinkin' chocolate milk.

I am doing the Primal thing very, very, slowly. I want to lose flab, especially around the middle. I am 5'5", and normal-to-finer boned. That said, I have curves, even when I am trim. My goals are: real fitness, stable blood sugar, TONS of energy, L - G - N (!!), and just the knowledge that I am finished with searching for the "perfect diet" for me.

I am going to do this whole Primal lifestyle thing as project chunks.

Project Number One - work on the blood sugar issues. I chose the Primal because it became clear, even to this sugar addict, that when I ate all those Junior Mints and York Peppermint Patties, I got sick. The Primal caught my serious attention with the posts about humans being fat-burners. My carby flu lasted five weeks. Five weeks. And then it has taken until now (May 1 was my first official Primal day) for me to even get to the point where I think I have a steady stream of energy. I really must have been more screwed up than I thought. It is nice, though.

Project Number Two - can't decide yet between making a habit of movin' my arse or getting the sleep hygiene under control. I absolutely love the nighttime hours and always have... and I hate programmed "exercise". If somebody asked me to go on a stroll through the woods, I would be out there in a minute. But bustin' my buns in some gym?? Hell, no. And to top it off, who would take responsibility for watching my special-needs daughter while I am sweating and reppin' and my hubby works and travels long hours in order to make her therapy payments... Huh.

So, Dear Journal, ends my first entry. I look forward to my future progress. I haven't felt light to myself since before I got pregnant with my last daughter, and it will be a welcome reunion.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I love the way you write! I'll be lurking as I think you've got lots of interesting things to say.

I refuse to be a gym rat. There are so many other ways to exercise that gyms really aren't a neccessary thing, in my opinion. You'll find a way that works for you.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Hello Journal!

I am ditching church today just to write you . Now don't you feel all special??

Church won't miss me much, though - we go to a Unitarian Universalist church, and ours currently has summer hours. That means a lot of things: 1. barely half of the normal church-goers won't be there - they don't feel much obligated to be anywhere indoors when the sun is out 2. because half of the congregation is AWOL, their children are AWOL with them, so the children's program is condensed into one group - easy because of lack of numbers 3. church is held in the downstairs meeting hall because our building HAS NO A/C... our building is very old - it is on the National Register of Historic Places, and to give such an old building A/C is very costly, and disruptive to the building, and the folks who do come have decided to man-up about it and face the heat (lucky for us we have a very relaxed dress code)

I have been trying to decide whether I will improve sleep or move the buns. I am leaning toward moving the buns, I think. Since I went Primal on May Day, I have managed to slip into jeans that are 2 inches smaller around the waist doing diet alone - YEA! My hubby even bought me a new belt! (Well, I had been stealing his, and I think he wanted it back.) I haven't mentioned this yet, but I don't much like scales or tape measures or any other kind of measure. I measure using real-world measures - like a good, thick, leather belt with a solid buckle. I don't know many who might be able to cheat the holes on such a belt. I know I can't. So the Belt Measure it is. Currently I am in the first hole; the one closest to the buckle, ie the one that makes the belt the largest. It will be my goal to get to either the last hole, or the next-to-last hole. At that point my waist measurement will be in the mid-20-inches range, which should be doable for my body type. I used to be there naturally, pre-kids.

I know that "exercise" (does anybody have a good synonym for this word?? I would be SO appreciative!) does regulate my sleep, but sleep doesn't really regulate ex-eeex-exercise (hard to get that word out), so movement first is probably the way to go for me.

Speaking of movement and (ahem) exercise, I have discovered something that I think I COULD get enthusiastic about: MovNat. I saw the term somewhere on this forum, and being the eternally curious wench I am, had to find it. So I found the MovNat website, googled Erwan LeCorre, and YouTubed a couple of vids. There is a photo of Erwan that I seriously need to copy and post on the Grokette Fantasy Thread... this buff hunk with the short beard (I looooove beards.....) is standing in waist-deep water in a woodland pond with a tree trunk balanced on his shoulder. I. kid. you. not. I can't even see him from the waist-down and I found that sooo excruciatingly erotic. I think it is the combination of outdoors, the trimmed beard, the water, and the tree trunk. They all symbolize different elements: outdoors = wild. trimmed beard = civilized. water = fertility. tree trunk = masculine strength. When I see all of that in one place, well... whoo... When it comes to stuff erotic, I am really understated. If you hand me a blatant crotch shot, that is instant turn-off. The ones I find best are the ones I don't even see coming, and weren't designed to be erotic at all - like the man-in-pond.

MovNat seems to be the epitome of high-level, holistic fitness. He lays his principles out in such a well-ordered fashion. Just like the Primal, this is a principle-based, natural-world, humanity-sparing philosophy. If he ever writes a book, I am buying. He holds workshops here and there across the US, and I may just go.

I just got the Primal Blueprint and the Primal Blueprint Cookbook from the library yesterday. You don't know how long I have been waiting for them! Our library system had a gazillion holds on them, and I have been waiting since April of this year for those books. I ran across the MDA site first, immediately placed holds on the books, and began to scour the MDA for all the information I could before beginning the Primal. I don't foresee the PB book containing new information in any appreciable quantity, since the MDA is so complete, but it will undergo a close reading anyway.

Now the Cookbook will be a lot of fun! I have two daughters on special diets: one is a dairy-allergic celiac, and the other lives the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD for those in the know). The SCD is unusually close to the Primal, and takes care of Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis. Both of these daughters are total meatheads, so me going Primal was like Mommy turning into Artemis or something. My celiac is so pumped about the Primal that she has unequivocally declared - at age 13 - that her children will be Primal. Basta. I think I will need to get them "Meatatarian" tshirts soon. That would be so their thing.

Oh! Honeybuns wrote me! My first poster on my journal! I feel like a kid in grade school again - you know, the times when you got passed a note and it had "do you like Agnes? circle Yes or No"... and I just got a Yes! Thanks!

So, dear Journal - Project Number Two will be: movement. Of course it will run concurrently with Project Number One (the Primal diet). Of course, I will keep you posted...

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Let's see:
    normal=not diagnosed with anything (from a parents of special needs kids group years ago)
    diet=way of eating
    exercise=burn off energy?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    Let's see:
    normal=not diagnosed with anything (from a parents of special needs kids group years ago)
    diet=way of eating
    exercise=burn off energy?
    Hi Pamsc

I don't quite follow you... if you are back here, rephrase?

Thanks!

You wanted a different word to use instead of exercise. I suggest BOE, for Burn off Energy. I got there by looking for a parallel with WOE for way of eating. I suppose WOM for way of moving would actually be more parallel. I thought you would like the idea of using "not diagnosed with anything" instead of "normal"--that was part of my train of thought to get to a different term for exercise.

Sorry to be so mysterious.

Stellar Jay is offline Junior Member
    Hey crabbcakes,

I like your style.

I was looking into UU here a while back and they impressed me as being really cool people. What can I say? I'm a weird one and I felt right at home. I do rock climbing and kayaking and hiking and those pop up all over my days, early or all-day or late in the evening, so I like "being active" or "getting active time" as opposed to "exercise."

I'll be reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    You wanted a different word to use instead of exercise. I suggest BOE, for Burn off Energy. I got there by looking for a parallel with WOE for way of eating. I suppose WOM for way of moving would actually be more parallel. I thought you would like the idea of using "not diagnosed with anything" instead of "normal"--that was part of my train of thought to get to a different term for exercise.

Sorry to be so mysterious.
    Pamsc - thanks much! I get it now! You'll have to excuse me on occasion... I sometimes just get too literal and dense...

Let's see...WOM... I think I like that one! Do you think we ought to email Mark with this new improvement?!

Yes, I think we should--exercise is as much a trigger term as diet!

Good Morning, Journal!

Well, I did it. I actually packed the family up and did a little WOMing (thanks to pamsc for her timely help in working out a VERY suitable term... ). I hope you are impressed, because I am!

After ditching church and being all lazy and floppy all day, hubby and I gathered the chicks and drove to a family favorite county park. It is very pretty there. Consistent with the topography of this area, there are precious few flat spots on the county property, but the advantage is that it is heavily wooded. Woods are cool to look at, cool to be in, and just cooler period - whenever it is really hot out there, the woods are where it is at. So we went strolling on the paths.

To listen to us you would have thought we were torturing the kids, or perhaps that we were the Original Dysfunctional Family - or even both. The whining, complaining noise was incredible. The oldest (aka First) was sullen and broody but snarky when spoken to, Second was decent but slapping at imaginary bugs constantly (wore shorts...), Third and Fourth were engaged in a never-ending battle to be ahead of each other and the rest of us ("I want to be FIRST!!!!!!!!!), and none of them wanted to hold the water jug even though all off them wanted to pull from it when thirsty. Hubby and I just did the stoic thing: kept walking, passed the water jug along anyway, and refused to be baited. The progeny protests just went ooooonnnn even though hubby and I aren't exactly known for quitting when faced with a wall of kid carping. And we didn't.

So we get to a big, lone, come-climb-me tree in the middle of a clearing. I hoist Fourth up. Hmmmmm. Second asks for a boost (she gets a break - afraid of heights and wanted to try anyway, yea!). First gets up there. Third isn't allowed - multiple physical disabilities, PT said so (obvious to us but not her, and Mom and PT have an agreement that Third's long-term PT get the blame for anything unsafe for her). So we play with her, instead. Complaining stops. Climbing commences. Bark falls. Attitudes improve. I think I can get behind telling my kids to go climb a tree on occasion!

The kids come down out of the tree when Dad announces it is time to hit the local airport grill for sweet potato fries. There is a tiny county airport behind the park that supports two-seater type planes. The airport is the site of a lot of local rib cook-offs and muscle car shows, and a popular secluded spot to grab a quick snack or country dinner. The big wall-size window lets you see the little prop-powered buzzbombs land, which we did witness. I did a cool thing with the fries - I snacked on mine verrrry slowwwwly, so that by the time Fourth had demolished her plate, I still had a lot of them left. Fourth asks...do you still want those??? And I dutifully hand the rest of the fries over. They actually are very good, and there is not a speck of obvious fry grease on the plate anywhere. They must have a Fry God in the kitchen - I have never seen sweet potato fries with no grease rests. Makes me hopeful that I limited my exposure to fry fat...

And then we went home. On the way back the kids were (finally) in a good mood, I was in a good mood, hubby was in a good mood. We live on a dirt road, and the progeny decided that driving full-tilt over the bumps in the road was a Very Fun Thing - so hubby aims for the bumps, kids bounce, kids squeal, car loses a little more life, and everybody is happy.

That night I did get tired at what, for me, is early, so I let sleep claim me on the couch. We have the most awesome old couches - they are in reality matching upholstered black holes. They inexorably suck you in, and just like black holes, it's almost impossible to get back out... There hasn't been a family gathering here yet where someone or two didn't fall asleep BEFORE dinner on those things. Anyway, we have the kind of household that mostly tends to let people lay where they fall, barring unusual circumstances. Sometimes that is in a bed, and oftentimes not. Between beds for all, a recliner, two extra-long black holes, a daybed with trundle, and a pullout queen-size couch in the playroom, we can sleep anywhere in the house. Wool rugs are on many floors, they make great campout spots with sleeping bags, and we do. So sleeping on the couch raises NO eyebrows here - we actually compete for them. Mornings are a hoot - trying to find where everybody spent the night. Betcha not many families have THAT in their morning routine!

So the WOMing was a success, mentally and physically. I didn't break any land speed records, or climbing records, or anything records, but I did get out, get some sun, and felt better for it. Man, that term WOM is cool - no stress about it at all, just some anticipation of where I might go next...

Just so's you all know, I am not morbidly obese (never have been), or unfamiliar with moving around (old marching band geek here, and then went walking all over Europe), or even an outdoors-hater; I am just a natural book worm and indoor person. My natural inclination is to find something cerebral to lose myself in, preferably a book, and that is very often found indoors. To add to that, I have very sensitive skin, and the sunshine striking it is uncomfortable. I am that crazy human who actually prefers cloudy, rainy days, and the nighttime - no sun. So getting me outside in the sun, especially glaring at-the-beach-at-high-noon-sun... forget it!

Yet a funny thing is happening - one of the first things I did in beginning the Primal diet was to rearrange the fatty acids in this house - the PUFA thing. And after 4 to 6 weeks, my skin is NOTICEABLY less red, burning, inflamed and sensitive. I truly, really, honestly, did not see that improvement coming. If I take away nothing else from Primal, this improvement on a lifelong affliction is well worth any cost or struggle in doing this WOE. Thank You, Mark! With the sore skin feeling better, perhaps I can overcome a lifetime habit of sun-avoidance and discover what this sun-worshipping is all about.

Dear Journal, so ends another update. Perhaps I will take a dip in the pool today. Even though we own one, between the chlorine and the sun, I almost never hop in. It is starting to look like fun...
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 07-10-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast