Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 9

Bess58 is offline Member
    Hello crabbcakes,

this is going to be a short post as the weather has cooled down and I'm off to do everything that I postponed during the extreme heat - to the pharmacy for my meds, to the farmer's market to get my "Hühnerklein" (chicken parts) for my chicken bone broth etc. Also, my brain is working again, so I hope to get some translating done.

Sorry to hear about your cat. Looks like there are some difficult decisions ahead. I wish you and your family lots of strength for the coming time.

Yes, I could solve your little quiz about "knocking up". LEO-dictionary had the answer. Now I understand your embarassment. Google also told me about "keeping her / it between the ditches", but I'll wait for your explanation to see if I got it right. You see, finding out things like that is an important part of my job. Of course, an author writing his/her novel for American readers doesn't think a moment about making things easy for potential translators. So I am used to googling the most obscure expressions or facts. Thank god for the internet! I already was a translator before normal people had access to the internet. At this time, it was scouring libraries, dictionaries and encyclopedias. You know, for trivia that you only know when you have lived in the respective country. Once I even had to hire an American via a translating agency to answer my questions and totally payed through the nose (I love to collect expressions like that, and you just contributed to my collection with your post.)

Schweizerdeutsch is a tough one! But I can tell you that even in German TV Schweizerdeutsch gets subtitled because Deutsche can't understand it either.

Now I'm off to take a shower and get my errands done. Bis demnächst!
    Last edited by Bess58; 08-21-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey Bess!

Cooler weather in Koeln - toll! I am off today on a short trip - I am going to Third's school to deliver her locker shelves and assorted stuff in advance of her first day of school tomorrow. She has so much that it is hard to give it all to the bus aides (on buses delivering special-needs kids there is the bus driver, and then there are bus aides, and bus aides are even-tempered adults familiar with the quirks of special-needs kids/adults and who do all the peace-keeping, safety stuff, and general happy-making with the riders so the bus driver can concentrate on the actual driving) - between bus wheelchair ramps and stuff, they have enough to do.

Which brings up a batch of memories... when Third was younger, it was simply impossible for her to stay in her bus seat. That - and she would unbuckle the seat belts of simply everybody around her. One of Third's challenges is she has extremely (ahem) "busy fingers" as we call them. Once Third unbuckled Fourth's car seat during a family ride and I didn't catch it - and Hubby ended up having to make a screeching stop in traffic to avoid an accident... well, Fourth was right behind the driver's seat, and the whole car seat just tipped forward - the top edge of the car seat (it was one of those toddler models with the very tall backs) ended up resting against the headrest of the driver's seat and Fourth just hung there, under the car seat, limbs dangling, and wondering what the hell just happened.

Third also had this really annoying habit of opening car doors at highway speeds. Once, she did that when I had all four in the car (you should know that between the oldest and the youngest there is only a six year age spread, so back then I had the equivalent of a toddler, a very young Third, and two barely-older young children), and I was so completely incensed due to fear shock (coupled with the seat belt trick...) that I pulled off the road, walked to her car door and slapped her hand. It was then that I discovered (thanks to hubby, upon hearing the story) that our car doors had levers that you could manipulate that would allow a door to be opened only from the outside. So for ages any adult guests riding in the back seat of our cars would have to wait for someone to open the door for them.

Sooooo, knowing about her aversion to rider safety, Third ended up being placed in a harness on school bus rides. I tell you, this was one Houdini-worthy contraption. The material was the same stuff as heavy-duty seat belt strapping. Sheep wool across the shoulders for comfort, massive zipper up the back so Third couldn't undo the thing, and big 'ole industrial D-rings sewn into it in back at that particular no-can-reach point where the shoulder blades are so nobody can fiddle behind themselves and unclip. The bus has a few dedicated seats that have bench straps installed in just the right way so a person wearing the harness can just sit down and the bus aide can clip the D-rings into clips, and voila - secured human.

Because a kid is being truly "restrained" in such a way, law over here requires a doctor's prescription for the harness, which our pediatrician very gladly gave to me at the beginning of each school year. Third wore that thing for years, and I was glad for it. When the bus drivers (we have had the same bus driver-aide combination for YEARS, and they learn all the special little tricks and personalities of all their riders...) told me the school transportation head honchos had had a conference about Third and decided that it was time to transition her out of the harness, I initially refused. They gave me a little more time, and just did it anyway. I was kind of pissed, but then, I am sort of known at Third's school for being resistant to change where Third is concerned...

It did work out. Each day, when Third's bus arrived at the end of our country driveway, bus driver and aide (they are tight friends in real life as well, so collusion is easy for them) would beam at me and say stuff like "Alison did a terrific job staying in her seat for the WHOLE trip!" and Third, hearing the compliment, would beam back... how could I be nasty to them in front of Third when she was so obviously proud of herself?? That - and she totally got bribed with chewing gum by those two... Today Third stays in her seat without any further help, so it did work out very well in spite of the mama, and we all still have a wonderful relationship.

"and totally payed through the nose"
    a little correction - great use of the expression, but "payed" is spelled "paid". I am absolutely sure you know that, but I couldn't resist pointing that out today.

So, Bess, I'm off. I wish I could be walking the streets of Koeln with you - I miss Europe in general, and that sounds just wonderful today. See ya soon!

MrsJenx is offline Junior Member
    Crabbcakes, I love your journal. I like your attitude and style. Consider me a subscriber.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsJenx View Post
    Crabbcakes, I love your journal. I like your attitude and style. Consider me a subscriber.
    Think there will be a lot of subscribers, I've almost forgotten what Journals are for, Crabbcakes you should write a book. I have been embroiled reading about your life.
    I read a BillBryson book a couple of years go were he had walked the Applachian Way (I think it was called.) and your title drew my eye.
    Here in Liverpool, UK I work in one of the Universities doing finances etc. I have 3 boys aged 19, 16 and 9 and we are a football mad family. (like a lot of people in the City.)
    Most people in the US have only heard of Liverpool cos of the Beatles. We are on the coast and have a couple of beaches etc to visit within a couple of miles. Though our Summer has been rubbish so not much sunbathing etc.
    We went to Florida a couple of years ago and loved it, going back next year.
    Quite a bad financial depression in the UK at the moment with lots of unemployment, low pay etc.in our part of the UK. We have been fortunate personally that is hasn't affected us, But who knows the future.
    Was laughing reading about Third and the bus.you are very inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsJenx View Post
    Thank You!!

I am still humbled by anyone who comes this way at all, and to have subscribers feels very unreal, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the definite ego boost today in letting me know you are here - and subscribing! I look forward to hearing from you again!f

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    I pop in daily too
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    I read a BillBryson book a couple of years go were he had walked the Applachian Way (I think it was called.) and your title drew my eye.
    I think that book is "A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering the Appalachian Trail", published in 1998. I haven't read it, but it is on my get-to-it-sometime list. When I am all-Primal and toned and have better cardiovascular endurance, I would like to do that with the kids. I bet it will be a life-changing experience.

So you all are soccer nuts, eh? Is there anybody in all of England who ISN'T?? And maybe you can shed light on something I have been wondering for some time - what is it that drives soccer hooligans (at least the English version)?? We are just as obsessed with American football, but you don't hear about whole sections of downtown being trashed because of the Super Bowl, and we are supposed to be the more violent country versus most of Europe.

Liverpool sounds nice, being along the coast, with universities there, too. But the name is kinda' unfortunate. Do you have any idea where the "liver" in Liverpool originates?? Anglo-Saxon holdover?

I understand about financial depressions - this area started that way and has never improved since. But after 7 years of living here, my daughters know how to value a small gift from someone who has very little, and that is a phenomenal life lesson. I grew up on public welfare, and while I never wanted them to know the raw side of that kind of life, I did want them to somehow get some experience with humility, and this fits the bill nicely.

I'll tell you another story about Third (I have an almost endless supply of them...) since the bus thing was funny - she potty-trained very late, between 7 and 8 years of age due to chronic diarrhea added onto the rest of her challenges. So, we have a pretty rigorous library schedule, as we homeschool and all and I use several libraries to supply our book cravings. Third, of course, comes along. Back then all she knew how to do was find the DVD's and then play with the toys in the Children's Section, but hey - you have to start somewhere. Like any well-planned Children's Section, there is a potty within immediate reach, but not immediate enough for Third... she had a little difficulty learning the signals her body gives her when it is time to eliminate and so always ended up in distress - as in RUNNING for the bathroom. Well, whatever the reason, she always decided to begin undressing as she was underway to the toilet... I had a kid sprinting along the wall, past the elevator, as the potty is located just to the right of the lift, dropping her drawers along the way. Before she even got to the elevator you could see butt crack. As she reached the restroom door, you were treated to a pretty comprehensive view of her choice of underwear for the day and the fact that she wasn't a sufferer of precocious puberty as witnessed by the full-frontal anatomy... Thank the stars she always made it to the john in time before the bladder (and whatever else) cut loose, so I never had spills of that kind to apologize for.

If you want to hear what she replaced that behavior with (once we managed to work it out), just ask...

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I pop in daily too
    Yeeeeee haw!! I may just be a wee bit popular for the first time in my life! (My daughters and Hubby don't count... they will always say they like me just so I cook their next dinner...)

Thanks, badgergirl! If you stick around, be warned that you will be grilled on life as it is led by Aussies - I have an insatiable curiosity that way!

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    What, you don't want to ask me about what it's like living in Ohio?? You're so xenophilic, Crabbcakes! Geez!

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    What, you don't want to ask me about what it's like living in Ohio?? You're so xenophilic, Crabbcakes! Geez!
    *chuckles* You'll just have to be content with the fact that you will probably end up being the only one on the MDA to actually see me in person anytime in the forseeable future (unless I win big in a lottery and try PrimalCon 'cause I think it would be neat to actually see Sisson in person)...

Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast