Page 80 of 82 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 80

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    So. I am in a talky mood. I should be outside or something, but I am not. Third is still sleeping - I think the teenage sleeping sickness hit her a year earlier than her older sisters hit it; and Fourth developed a sore throat last night and hasn't come down out of her bird nest (what we call her upper bunk - she has it so padded and walled around with stuffed animals and blankets that it really does feel up there and protected) yet. My besties are all at work. Hubby and the older two are on their way back to Boise today to catch a return flight tomorrow.

Gossip: I just saw the pics, courtesy of msn, of Miley Cyrus' bracelet-decorated bong. Yuck. I actually banned her music from the house a while ago on the strength of her performing persona alone. The oddball Justin Bieber tshirts we had inherited from extended family also went back then. While I sincerely hope Bieber finds his way back to more stable, cleaner living, in his search for manhood, I hold no hope for Cyrus. It is one thing to scandalize folks and the status quo in service of a higher ideal, but another entirely to just be trashy.

Ferguson MO. My aunt used to live there. She moved ages ago to the MO countryside, after remarrying, to her husband's farm. I am angry with those fewer individuals amongst the protesters who think looting and shooting is somehow acceptable and going to further anybody's cause. I live in a racist county - the people here might be willing to rethink stuff occasionally, but when the store burning starts, they just get all reconfirmed in their beliefs. I don't care if you are purple with pink polka dots - looting stores that had no part in these events is simple hooliganism. Sigh. At least the Family Crabbcakes attends an integrated church of sorts - my kids are finding it much harder to pick up racist beliefs than the locally-isolated youth. At our church, we have wealthy and poor; black, white and more; straight, gay and trans; Christian, Buddhist, Pagan, Atheist; young and old; charter-schooled, public schooled, and homeschooled... It is possible to actually live together - we do it in microcosm.

I am reading a book: "Free Range Kids" by Lenore Skenazy. I had heard, even at this unplugged homestead, about her insane theories, so I did what any intelligent person ought to do - get the book and find out for myself what the hubbub is about. My take - she isn't a kook and she is not a neglectful mother. I disagree with her in the fine details and with a lot of the tone of the book, but in the main, she is right. Now, the Tiger Mom is very close to pathological in my estimation, and her kids are becoming the young ladies they are in spite of her, not because of her. I am also reading "The Brainy Bunch" by Kip and Mona Lisa Harding - now THIS title is worth its money!

Bathing suits. Third is getting a new swimsuit. The new thing is, I am putting her in a "modest swimsuit". She currently has the body of a lithe runway goddess, but with her motor disability, she moves in ways unusual enough that it catches the attention. Couple that with a total innocence due to her cognitive understanding, and this mama is covering her girl up! She had a visit from her friend a few weeks ago, here at the house for a dip in the pool, who is also similarly disabled, and was robed in a typical Target/Walmart style swimsuit. This young lady was popping out of her suit every three minutes - wardrobe malfunction isn't the phrase, as it is too tame for what went on here! The mom, my friend, didn't bring an inappropriate suit and she definitely isn't a show-off kind of parent either. I had planned on putting Third in a modest suit, but this swim fest just informed me that NOW is the time! For those of you who might need or want such a thing: modest-swimsuits
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Slug-fest here at Crabbcakes Manor... as in, I am moving about as fast as one. Second is making dinner, really. It's nice when your kid has chef aspirations . So here I lay, becoming one with my fugly yet awesome couch. Went to the big city to see my dentist for a cleaning, then to Galwreens to try to find a lotion with fruit acids to help with Third's keratosis pilaris, and then found a perfect gluten-free cafe that I have been hearing about from the special diet acquaintances. And now I am home. Pic - these are two of my fuzzy boys, taken a couple of days ago.

image.jpg
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Those 2 are adorable!

I thoroughly enjoy cooking but it sure would be nice every now and then if some one else wanted to try their hand at it. Hubby sometimes makes me breakfast, which I so enjoy. I'm not that in to cooking in the morning.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The cats are all growed up! Very cute.

I like a modest bathing suit at this stage of my life, though I am tempted sometimes to get a kiddie inflatable pool and sit out there in all my senior glory in a bikini, drinking beers. Just to freak out the neighbors. IRL, I'm pretty conservative in dress. I may wear shorter skirts than I should at my age, but my legs will have tights on. And I vowed when I was very young never to go into the city in shorts, and I haven't/don't. There is nothing really sexy (though it may be titillating), about having uncontrolled body parts flopping about willy nilly.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    The cats are all growed up! Very cute.

I like a modest bathing suit at this stage of my life, though I am tempted sometimes to get a kiddie inflatable pool and sit out there in all my senior glory in a bikini, drinking beers. Just to freak out the neighbors. IRL, I'm pretty conservative in dress. I may wear shorter skirts than I should at my age, but my legs will have tights on. And I vowed when I was very young never to go into the city in shorts, and I haven't/don't. There is nothing really sexy (though it may be titillating), about having uncontrolled body parts flopping about willy nilly.
    unless of course willy-nilly blows air up your skirt...

Awful night. At one this morning, one of our three kitten brothers went into distress, so hubby rushed him to the overnight emergency vet in the big city. Testing indicated a blocked bladder, so we gave permission to treat (catheter, IV fluids and antibiotics, sedation, etc), and believing everything under control, hubby returned home without kitty because treatment time was expected to last into Monday. At six a.m., we got a call that our cat suffered a massive heart attack just as the vet began to lay lines, and he died immediately.

He was First's new kitten love, and the grief is intense. I just drugged her with benadryl for a sleep break - she was beginning to show signs of an asthma attack. Yeah, she got her asthma meds, too. Tomorrow is Second's birthday, and our youngest kitten's also, and it all now sucks.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Oh Crabby, I'm so sorry! That's so unusual in outdoor cats.

Big hug to you and to Mr. Crab and the Crablets.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

canio6 Guest
    Sorry to hear about your fuzzy friend CC. Hopefully Second's birthday lightens the mood a little. Hugs to all.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Oh Crabby, I'm so sorry! That's so unusual in outdoor cats.

Big hug to you and to Mr. Crab and the Crablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your fuzzy friend CC. Hopefully Second's birthday lightens the mood a little. Hugs to all.
    Thank you. Here is the guy - he just turned one back in May. We know he was asymptomatic until he went into distress, and the vet is capable (previous dealings), and we did all the usual shots and stuff. We are just completely stunned.

image.jpg

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. When animals die all of a sudden it's a lot to emotionally process. A month before my son was born our 5 yr old dog just keeled over as we opened the gate to take her for a walk. She probably had a heart problem that we weren't aware of, there was no previous sign of illness.

Hugs to all of you.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.