Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 70

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    *big hugs* for Fourth for the disappointment. And for you also because watching someone you love be disappointed or hurt is often just as bad as the disappointment itself.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Oh, poor Fourth! THat sting even as an adult, let alone as a kid who can't grasp why on earth THEY are special enough and she isn't, just based on where they sat.
    RE: Mythbusters. The local college had a Mythbusters summer camp for early elementary kids. We sent Niece. IT was sponsored by them, and the replicated some of their experiments, plus some of their own. As part of their camp, Jamie and Adam showed up for a show on their last day. Quick little one hour thing, but I couldn't go because I wasn't a parent and I had to work. DAMMIT!
    Last edited by naiadknight; 12-06-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Oh CC, what a shame she didn't quietly slink forward and join the group !!!!!!!
    Heres hoping she manages to smile today - and this german shoe thing sounds great. I would possibly get coal in mine more than sweets, but that would still be kinda cool - that is if the shoes dont smell !!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I hope you all can make it to the Waldorf Winter event. I think it will take Fourth's mind off last night's disappointment. DS went to a Waldorf school for kindergarten through second grade. I always liked their events, so magical and simple. Their seasonal celebrations influenced how we celebrated special occasions in our home.

When DS was young we used to set up "seasonal tables" like they do in the classrooms. I loved putting together little scenes. My favorite was the winter, I made a Father Winter with a long white beard, and a deep blue velvet cloak embroidered with silver stars. His wife had a matching shawl, and felted skirt in pale blue and silver. Of course there was also a boy in the same wintery colors. We used some silvery transparent cloth to make a frozen lake and I made little felted animals, wolves and bears.
    Can you tell I loved playing/making dolls when I was a girl?

I hope the weather is good enough to travel tomorrow. I hear it's snowing at my house.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    So. We did go to the Waldorf Winter Fest and all six of us REALLY had a good time. I was soooo proud of Third - she joined a group of kids in a classroom that was set up for Parlor Games and just played and played and played. And not one whiff of rejection from anybody in the room (like Unschoolers, Waldorf culture fosters this kind of acceptance). Super! Fourth was in her element; and in a surprise discovery, First fell in love with needle felting and has asked to have felting supplies as her Christmas swag this year. Hubby and Fourth discovered taffy pulling... with several trips to the taffy pulling table... and ate all of their taffy pieces before the Fest was even over... and had the most comical case of taffy-sugar-overload - they were both kinda groaning and bemoaning their lack of restraint in the car. Did the rest of us have any sympathy? Nah!

Horse-drawn carriage rides for Third and Fourth. I got to make a felted acorn! I know this sounds like a weeny accomplishment, but to me those little felted acorns are THE symbol of Waldorf education, and somehow I just never thought I could make one. And now I did one! Hubby got schooled a bit - he was in there with me, felting wool for acorns, and his wool didn't do what he had planned for it, so he just kinda pronounced it a Failure, said so out loud. Immediately a Waldorf teacher comes over and says "No! It isn't a failure! (She takes a breath to have the oxygen to tell him why and before she talks...) Hubby: "Yes, it is a Failure." Teacher: "Here is what you can do..." And I am smiiiiiling!

And I was examining everything pedagogical I could, from chalkboards to folders. I would almost sell a cat to get my hands on the books that explain "Formenlehre" (what the Germans call it), which is that special kind of freehand circle-pattern drawing that Waldorfers do. Please - google "Waldorf Formenlehre" - and tell me that isn't good stuff.

And I had the surprise of surprises - I ran into Zoebird and her family! I had never seen her before, and we were most definitely not in communication about any meeting, but the Universe put us at the taffy pulling table at the same time, and I had a couple of things to go on per past MDA posts, and voila! So Zoebird now has personally met all six members of the Family Crabbcakes. Second is just smitten with her DS.

There was the most awesome brass band playing downstairs (actually, it is a chapel that looks just like a mini Hogwarts) - this rousing mix of what I stylistically dub "Klezmer Has A Fender-bender With Corvus Corax". We all were spontaneously dancing in the back. Aahhhhhh. Good day!

And now I gotta' go - Sunday school teaching for me. Well, actually it is Religious Education - this is a UU after all. 'Til tonight!

image.jpg
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 12-08-2013 at 05:20 AM.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Crabby, what a fun evening! Love the acorn.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

What fun! Those Waldorf schools really know how to put on lovely seasonal celebrations. Your felted acorn is beautiful! I was introduced to needle felting when DS went to a Waldorf school. It can be very addictive. Unfortunately I think that is how I injured my thumb. I think the drawing/writing you are talking about is called "form drawing". It's a big part of the lower grades education. It's more than just writing it helps with brain development and a bunch of other stuff. Makes me kind of miss the Waldorf world. We have a friend that teaches at a Waldorf school about 1 1/2 hrs from us. Our boys have been friends since kindergarten.

I can't believe you met Zoebird, what a coincidence!

Here are some of my felted pieces:
    IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Crabby, what a great Winterfest! And it is so cool that you got to meet Zoebird! Your acorn turned out well. The teacher is right about there being no failures when doing art, it just takes a different path to become what it is.

UF, your felting projects are so cool! When I have the silversmithing thing down, I might have to move onto felting.

Thanks vh! After silversmithing you will find felting a breeze, way less technical and forgiving.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Silversmithing, felting, good lord, is there anything you ladies can't do?
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast