Page 68 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 68

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Why did I ever look at the gun thread? Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    oh-oooooooo whats been happening in the "is that a gun in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me" thread ???????
    Nothing horrid yet, which really surprises me, but they all are talking in circles. You just cannot have a comprehensive conversation about guns and gun control without exploring many related issues, and that gets messy fast. I truly, honestly think Lewis likes to sit back in his English chair before his English fire and laugh his ass off at Americans, more frequently anybody here gives him credit for. Hopefully I am wrong. Not that English in particular is any problem, just the fact that he is not American, and seems to get off on baiting Americans. I know a group of Germans who glory in that as recreational sport, out of my personal history living there and some of them are even family.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    I have very close friends who are gun-owning Americans and they use them responsibly, safely etc. As a general rule I prefer to live in countries where gun ownership is very, very tightly controlled, but whoever on that thread (and you here) who said that poverty and mental health services and a more egalitarian society and many other factors have just as/more to do with creating a safe and low-violence society. Whether it was legal or not, I would never want to own a gun.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Whether it was legal or not, I would never want to own a gun.
    I know. You said on the thread. And I can respect that. What I ended up telling my German cousin's fiancée, during my trip as he got to meet the famous family member "aus Amerika" and wanted to drill me on many issues, is that a majority of Americans still would rather take uncertainty and risk (of having a nut job commit something with a firearm) rather than have the whole give up any freedom in order to prevent such an occurrence. And in some countries, the society has made the opposite decision. And it wasn't my job to convince him that I am "right", but only to get him to a point where he could have insight into a different worldview and hopefully respect that. Yeah, one can argue about real and perceived levels of freedom, and what the word means, and Americans do that amongst themselves all the time.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Yep and that's totally their right! It's a culturally mediated thing and that's okay. It's shame that it happens in a culture where there's also all those other factors which increase violent crime/unstable behaviour.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

(I also refuse to drive - I really, really don't want to kill someone).

All this gun talk reminds me of a something I once experienced, back in the late '80s thru the mid '90s, in the US and Germany, as I did travel back and forth: every American I talked to who had been through a German civilian airport was floored at the firepower German airport security carried strapped to their backs as a matter of course, and every German I talked to who had been through an American airport of that era said they were scared to death of the "six shooters" (their words, translated) our security and police in general carried, implying that they thought the airport security and police were going to be as trigger-happy as Hollywood movie cowboys. After a while, I just thought, WTF?? Both have guns, so what is the essential difference?? So I made it my weensy mission to let both sides know, as the topic came up, that they were both afraid of each other - and both sides were stunned to hear that they had each been spooked by the other.

The story has no real moral - it was my way of processing some cultural differences. But it happened as described.

(I also refuse to drive - I really, really don't want to kill someone).
    Do you seriously not drive? Like, at all, or is it that Melbourne has good enough public transportation and you don't need to subject yourself to that kind of automotive stress?

I passed my test, had a minor accident and best friend, who was sitting next to me, said 'thank god there wasn't a child there'. At that point I decided I'd never drive again. So far I've kept to that despite having licenses for two countries.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I hope Fourth recovers quickly and that none of you get what she has.

What a great discussion you had with First. That was a perfect example of how kids can learn about a variety of subjects by simply following what they are interested in.

I was reading the weapons thread (there were some thoughtful posts, especially the one from rural Ohio) but like you said CC they started talking in circles. Now I'm only scanning the thread for new posters. Hubby and son own family heirloom rifles; they enjoy target practice and restoring the rifles. In my brief post I mentioned that blowguns are illegal in CA. We didn't know it until recently. Hubby was given one by a student of his over 12 yrs ago, I suppose they were legal at the time. Hubby brought it out to show DS; we thought it would be a great work out for his lungs, turns out it is. DS loved it and wanted to look into an upgrade so he looked it up online only to find out you can't buy them in CA. When was anyone ever killed by a blowgun?
    IMHO the level of violent crime in the US is much more complex than simply limiting the availability of fire arms, though it may include that too.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    All this gun talk reminds me of a something I once experienced, back in the late '80s thru the mid '90s, in the US and Germany, as I did travel back and forth: every American I talked to who had been through a German civilian airport was floored at the firepower German airport security carried strapped to their backs as a matter of course, and every German I talked to who had been through an American airport of that era said they were scared to death of the "six shooters" (their words, translated) our security and police in general carried, implying that they thought the airport security and police were going to be as trigger-happy as Hollywood movie cowboys. After a while, I just thought, WTF?? Both have guns, so what is the essential difference?? So I made it my weensy mission to let both sides know, as the topic came up, that they were both afraid of each other - and both sides were stunned to hear that they had each been spooked by the other.

The story has no real moral - it was my way of processing some cultural differences. But it happened as described.
    I spent some time in Israel. F**king terrifying. So many soldiers. So very many guns.

One of the things Brits used to be proud of, that we've lost, is that all through the IRA bombing campaign police on the street did not carry guns. Now it is not unusual to see armed police in our cities. Are we safer? Ask Jean Charles de Menzies.

Page 68 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast