Page 59 of 82 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 59

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Not nearly as exciting as you perhaps think...jolly-hockey-sticks - Wiktionary

The first book in the series is a little bit Enid Blyton - all home for the holidays from boarding school - but I get quite nostalgic about that kind of nonsense (not that I ever went to a girls' school, but bally hell did I ask to).
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Not nearly as exciting as you perhaps think...jolly-hockey-sticks - Wiktionary
    thanks for the explanation

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I think I've rec'd this book before, but the Susan Cooper Dark is Rising series offers an interesting and accessible folklore/Christian/pre-Christian take on things - including samhain. Of course, they're kids books and it's only a part of the story, which weaves Arthurian legends in too for good measure, but I always enjoyed that aspect of them. The first one is a bit jolly hockey sticks, it is possible to skip it and read on from The Dark Is Rising, though I'm not adverse to a bit of jolly hockey.
    Just looked for it on amazon - will get First to pull it in from the library. As always, badger, thanks! It looks incredible.

Canio - "jolly hockey sticks"... just googled that, and actually found a website, dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/jolly-hockey-sticks that says: "describes a woman or girl of a high social class who is enthusiastic in a way that annoys most people".

Yeah, we all think we are speaking the same English language, but sometimes you are reminded of how different it can actually be, depending on geography.

Edit:
    Oops - crossed posts or something - I just got a phone call and just now hit enter without looking at my journal!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Even as a family we never 'did halloween' until moving to America where the whole ghosts and goblins/dressing up/trick-or-treating thing seemed the norm. I was used to delivering food baskets to old people (spreading the harvest) not putting on a mask and extorting people for candy. Again, selfish self-interest won out and I trick-or-treated like any other kid, but looking back, it was not the same. In fact, I am not sure I have enjoyed Halloween since moving here. It, much like Christmas, has morphed into "what can I get" not "what can I give" Something to consider.

Dang it, once again, you two are making me think before 6am. There should be laws against that kind of thing
    It's good to see those thoughts written out. But thinking before 6am can hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Awww thanks Canio. Your posts are alway a bright spot on the forum for me.

I really enjoy ritual that's connected to the seasons. When DS was younger we seemed to do more, and now that he's 15 some of that is slipping away. DH is only mildly interested and will go along with what DS and are doing but he doesn't initiate any of the activities. DH and I are both sort of anti-consumerism, we get presents for DS but between us we like to acknowledge the importance of specific dates but w/o a lot of purchases.

Years ago we started celebrating the Winter Solstice, it was DS who prompted it. One day he asked us why we celebrated Christmas when weren't Christians. It was a good question; the 3 of us decided we liked acknowledging the significance of the season so we decided to celebrate the Solstice instead. We used to do a lot of rituals for the Solstice but as DS has gotten older I've noticed we've done fewer. I kind of miss them, it's not much fun to do some of them by yourself. It will be interesting to see how much DS wants to do this year.

Enough thinking and writing I need to find something to eat!
    What? No dancing naked under the moon to greet the new season?

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Hello all -

It is a peaceful evening at Crabbcakes Manor - First is out with hubby at the library, returning books; Third and Fourth are playing a Wii game; Second is somewhere in the house probably reading; the kittens are out and about in the house after quarantine in the master suite; and I am here with you. Dinner has been eaten by humans and feline alike, so it is easy to be content.

Yesterday after our visit to the Clinic, Third and I stopped at a huge health food store along the road home for a few things our local health food store doesn't carry. I bought a wedge of really ripe goat Brie for myself and just snacked on it in the car - stinky stuff that was, but heavenly - mmmmmm.

As time goes on, I notice more and more how a real health food store just smells and feels so much better than any other grocery. It must be the lack of toxic crap in the food and packaging. And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if some mainstream scientist in the future declares that organic/biodynamic, non-GMO food gives off different energy vibrations/aura than mutant plants, like some folks already declare, because how else can I account for the definite difference I feel? Farmers markets, the real ones at least, the ones that don't grade out their produce according to aesthetics and don't wash too much, feel "wild" and "primal" to me. Sam's Club feels anxious. Regular groceries feel false and deficient, like something nutritious is missing even though there is edible stuff in spades. This big health food store also has a butcher counter, a bakery, a restaurant, a huge alcohol section, bulk food, a deli, and monster produce section - heaven.

I need to visit that health food store more often than just on return trips from the Clinic - is really does help me refocus and get back in touch with what my food should be like, when I get too swayed by cheap sales of the lower-quality stuff. Which, with a larger family to feed, is an easy trap to fall into.

I had a huge find at Goodwill today - a Jessica McClintock gown that fits First perfectly - for usd 1.00 - can you imagine?! Here is the exact dress (This is not First, it is a screen shot and unknown woman!):
    Attachment 14198

So, that is it for right now - be happy and healthy!
    Crabby, I know what you mean about the different feel of different stores. The gown - OhEmGeeee! Fantastic. I love thrifts. And goat brie, well you had just about a perfect day. Good food, awesome retail experience, and stinky cheese. Blessed be.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Just looked for it on amazon - will get First to pull it in from the library. As always, badger, thanks! It looks incredible.

Canio - "jolly hockey sticks"... just googled that, and actually found a website, dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/jolly-hockey-sticks that says: "describes a woman or girl of a high social class who is enthusiastic in a way that annoys most people".

Yeah, we all think we are speaking the same English language, but sometimes you are reminded of how different it can actually be, depending on geography.

Edit:
    Oops - crossed posts or something - I just got a phone call and just now hit enter without looking at my journal!
    Thanks for the reply I should have googled it myself. I just have this strange way of looking at journals as a conversation and I would not stop mid-conversation, pull out my phone and google things. Though, now that I have just typed that out, this seems like a very odd way to think about journals. Insanity is apparently setting in.

woman or girl of a high social class who is enthusiastic in a way that annoys most people...well, luckily for me I am a lower class yob so don't know any of these higher social class folks. Well, that is assuming you don't count the folks on Downton Abbey and Mary is the only one of them who annoys me and she is not particularly enthusiastic. So apparently no jolly hockey sticks in my neck of the woods.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It's good to see those thoughts written out. But thinking before 6am can hurt.

What? No dancing naked under the moon to greet the new season?

Indeed, anything besides drinking coffee can hurt before 6am. As for naked dancing, well, I am a keen observer of the old ways...observer, not participator

Indeed, anything besides drinking coffee can hurt before 6am. As for naked dancing, well, I am a keen observer of the old ways...observer, not participator
    Closet naturist, here. I totally did the nude beach thing on the North Sea the one time I had the chance, my figure be damned. Gorgeous summer evening, almost-deserted beach, just me and my aunt and my girl cousins and some warm surf. It was one of the most Primal experiences ever for me. All we did was build sand castles and splash around. Although I hear that at some beaches and when it is crowded, some folks aren't really cool about it as they ought to be and pose artificially and stuff. That would be not nice, admittedly.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Without getting too graphic, if I danced naked now, I might put an eye out.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Without getting too graphic, if I danced naked now, I might put an eye out.
    I am in worse shape now than back when I let it all hang loose, just because that was pre-marriage and pre-kids and twenty-plus years ago, but when I get lean again, I would definitely do the same thing, under the same circumstances. But yeah, I know the feeling!

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So apparently no jolly hockey sticks in my neck of the woods.
    It's very specific, culturally-mediated phenomenon. I'm trying to think of characters that embody this rah-rah posh enthusiasm. Penelope Keith has it in some roles. The bossy, cheerful bluster: mustn't grumble, come on chaps, let's go for a bracing walk up this mountain in gale-force winds. Tally ho!
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Page 59 of 82 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast