Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 58

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Badger - you are a wee trick !!!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I would watch Ms Jolie in anything...or nothing *wink, wink*
    Puberty has a stranglehold on First and Second - they feel the same way about Brad Pitt...

As a VLMF (Very Low Media Family), we get to things way late, typically, so those two just found out last night that Mr. Pitt was also in "Troy"; since they have done a fair amount of mythology reading, they are now excited to see the flick. Back when it came out I watched it with hubby but ever told them about it - I wanted my girls to READ first. So, then they find out last night that Paris was Orlando Bloom, and Sean Bean is also in there...

Anyway, badger, I think you might appreciate this - we are delaying the start of our home movie last night because First and Second are just tripping down Greek Mythology lane, tossing the deeds and relationships of the various folks in the Iliad/Odyssey around as I call out the names from the character list of Troy I found on the IMDB. Hubby is saying stuff like "just start the movie!!", and I am egging the girls on, and then I suggest to hubby that he can it because his two kids are juiced about classical stuff AND KNOW IT, you know?!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    I second you on that one CC, mr and mrs smith- very cute
    We don't really do Halloween here althou I noticed in the warehouse (that's a big store chain in nz), that there were lots of halloweeny sort of things, so praps it is cottoning on??????
    Hope all the crabbies are well
    G x
    Crabblets are coming along, Gwamma, thanks!

----

Since I am up this morning and nobody else is, at least at this house, I have decided to sit here and chat with y'all some. So here goes:

Monday is Third's visit to peds gynecology in Cleveland. We will see what the doc has to say about a 13yo who has two periods a month more often than not. Another day, another department at the Clinic... I am still grateful, though, that there are some departments I do not visit: oncology, transplant medicine, nephrology come right to mind. And when we are all tired and cranky I remind the girls that no matter how many departments we visit, the very fact that they already exist for us to visit means that other folks are having the same challenges we are AND that there are doctors available to assist. Count your blessings, always count your blessings, because it can always be worse.

I don't know what to call this, but I am finding many, many Halloween costumes either disrespectful, rude, ignorant, disgusting, or various other disapproving feelings. Nope, no gore at Crabbcakes Manor. Or making fun of minorities, disability groups, refugees, illegal activities, etc. I have always been like this - I think it comes from basically being a softie having to live a rough childhood; the real-life experiences are tough and scarring enough just to get through and function well afterward so I simply cannot see how people can use these events and situations as sources of humor and party inspiration.

Now that I am back home, I am cooking again and it feels good to get back to a more Primal food existence!

Halloween - I am really liking the pagan-Wiccan version of Halloween. End of harvest season (mostly), beginning of the new year (metaphorically), reflection and future planning. For my cultural upbringing, "starting" a year or a sabbath with the evening/dark is new to me and a refreshing way to consider life. I once read a quote that said a successful Sunday (a Christian was expressing her view on how to prepare for a holy Sunday) actually has its true beginning in Saturday evening, and for some reason that stayed with me. Especially when I had hectic Sundays with four little kids to take to church alone. (Hubby and I went to different churches for 19 years, and I took the girls, with hubby's blessing, with me to mine, as religious/spiritual feeling and action meant much more to me than it ever had to hubby, a situation which is the same today.)

If I am honest with myself, I am some kind of syncretic Christo-pagan, panentheist-style. I really don't care to get hung up on young-earth/old-earth debates (just care for the planet we live on, screw the dating system), or exactly if Sabbath is Saturday or Sunday (as long as there is some "sabbath" break at all, who cares if yours has to be on whatever day of the week) or whatnot - I just want to find good stories and good ways to live and good people and good times and wise lit and stuff that makes me a better human. And good food. And sometimes I want church to be outside in beautiful natural places and sometimes I want to light candles in tucked-away chapels.

I am having my challenges lately, on the church front. I left the Latter-day Saints for one reason: I could no longer personally and spiritually sustain a belief that said "This Church Is The Only and One True Church". Nothing bad ever happened, quite the opposite - only good and inspiring. But since their entire theology is written around this, I saw no other honest way to deal with what had changed inside me. And I sorely, sorely miss them. The UU is challenging in its own way - instead of having your religion handed to you on a pre-made, mandated, from-on-high platter, you are left to flex your own belief muscles. Which is surprisingly tough sometimes. But geez Louise, I am so sick of committees and consensus - can someone please just make a decision on stupid stuff like what flooring to put in the church kitchen?! That kind of decision would never even BE a decision to be made back at the old ward as all local churches have the same interiors, mandated by Salt Lake, and on to something more important, please...

My UU flies the rainbow flag sometimes. All of the time I don't know what to feel about that. Part of me says who cares what consenting adults do, part of me says ewwwwww, another part says that I have gay family AND friends and they are just humans looking for the same thing I am and finding it in same-gender places, part of me shouts "that ain't natural!", and on and on. Sigh. My daughters have asked about these things, as my UU has some pretty radical supporters of gay-rights groups as members, although they don't go around preaching and stuff, they just put up announcements for meetings and the like. But the older kids see and then ask. And I tell them, honestly, how conflicted I am.

I am ruined for most forms of Christianity (which is why I joined the Latter-day Saints in the first place and not some other Christian group) due to personal issues with the standard Christian versions of hell, salvation, the Trinity, and what happens in the afterlife - the LDS answers to these questions are much more loving, "logical", and "right", if you will. And I am ruined for the Saints because I can't go around telling my kids stuff I can no longer support. And I will never be a hard-polytheist pagan, either. But goodness knows I am definitely no atheist! And the UU is so wishy-washy in that they just go along with whatever you choose to believe, as long as you give your fellows their space and don't wreck coffee hour or hurt others. Judaism is out - I lived in New Jersey for too long close enough to the Hasidim, and if that is what the extreme expression of Judaism is, I want no part of it, simply from a feminine POV. Feminist problems with Islam and Hinduism, as well. The Reverend at the UU is Buddhist, and my only up-close-and-personal example of Buddhism to date - and while I really am amazed at the palpable sea of calm that envelops him seemingly always, I am a person given to passions (in my own way, no laughing!) and I don't want those highs chilled out, you know? Ugh. Perhaps my lot in life right now is the search for meaning and answers itself - I am reading enough for it.

Switch gears - pumpkin carving is on the list for today, along with laundry, costume-making, spooky music and movie choosing, and deciding where to trick or treat - we don't get any here as we live so far out, so we drive to town to real neighborhoods, changing it around according to kid ages and the available beggar night times allowed by the various town councils.

Keep healthy!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    CC I'm so glad you're back to writing your journal, I love reading it.

Halloween will be probably be quite around our house, last year DS went to a friend's house to watch movies and it looks like he'll do the same this year. DH isn't that into the whole costume thing so I think we'll just hunker down for the evening. I'll have to keep my dogs in the house or they will go crazy barking at all the hullabaloo.

I'm not a Wiccan but I like the idea of Samhain marking the end of harvest and the entering into the darker time of year. It feels right, a good time for reflection.

Pumpkins in the swimming pool! What a fun idea!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    CC I'm so glad you're back to writing your journal, I love reading it.
    Indeed. CC, your journal always makes for a thought provoking read. Between your posts and Urban Forager's I could read all day (well, I could if you all posted more. *hint hint* kidding, do not post here all day like some pathetic dude in a red suit with no life).

I am not religious but do find religion fascinating. I also love 'traditions' of all kinds be they building huge churches and having statues of saints or standing out in the woods around a tree or bowing five times towards some holy city. I do miss Harvest Festivals. We had one every year when I was in Catholic school in England. Looking back it was rather bizarre as it was far less Christian/Catholic than it was 'let's thank mother earth for this bountiful harvest. oh, yeah, and God too..." Which never struck me as odd at the time but seems strange looking back on it.

Even as a family we never 'did halloween' until moving to America where the whole ghosts and goblins/dressing up/trick-or-treating thing seemed the norm. I was used to delivering food baskets to old people (spreading the harvest) not putting on a mask and extorting people for candy. Again, selfish self-interest won out and I trick-or-treated like any other kid, but looking back, it was not the same. In fact, I am not sure I have enjoyed Halloween since moving here. It, much like Christmas, has morphed into "what can I get" not "what can I give" Something to consider.

Dang it, once again, you two are making me think before 6am. There should be laws against that kind of thing

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Awww thanks Canio. Your posts are alway a bright spot on the forum for me.

I really enjoy ritual that's connected to the seasons. When DS was younger we seemed to do more, and now that he's 15 some of that is slipping away. DH is only mildly interested and will go along with what DS and are doing but he doesn't initiate any of the activities. DH and I are both sort of anti-consumerism, we get presents for DS but between us we like to acknowledge the importance of specific dates but w/o a lot of purchases.

Years ago we started celebrating the Winter Solstice, it was DS who prompted it. One day he asked us why we celebrated Christmas when weren't Christians. It was a good question; the 3 of us decided we liked acknowledging the significance of the season so we decided to celebrate the Solstice instead. We used to do a lot of rituals for the Solstice but as DS has gotten older I've noticed we've done fewer. I kind of miss them, it's not much fun to do some of them by yourself. It will be interesting to see how much DS wants to do this year.

Enough thinking and writing I need to find something to eat!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Hello all -

It is a peaceful evening at Crabbcakes Manor - First is out with hubby at the library, returning books; Third and Fourth are playing a Wii game; Second is somewhere in the house probably reading; the kittens are out and about in the house after quarantine in the master suite; and I am here with you. Dinner has been eaten by humans and feline alike, so it is easy to be content.

Yesterday after our visit to the Clinic, Third and I stopped at a huge health food store along the road home for a few things our local health food store doesn't carry. I bought a wedge of really ripe goat Brie for myself and just snacked on it in the car - stinky stuff that was, but heavenly - mmmmmm.

As time goes on, I notice more and more how a real health food store just smells and feels so much better than any other grocery. It must be the lack of toxic crap in the food and packaging. And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if some mainstream scientist in the future declares that organic/biodynamic, non-GMO food gives off different energy vibrations/aura than mutant plants, like some folks already declare, because how else can I account for the definite difference I feel? Farmers markets, the real ones at least, the ones that don't grade out their produce according to aesthetics and don't wash too much, feel "wild" and "primal" to me. Sam's Club feels anxious. Regular groceries feel false and deficient, like something nutritious is missing even though there is edible stuff in spades. This big health food store also has a butcher counter, a bakery, a restaurant, a huge alcohol section, bulk food, a deli, and monster produce section - heaven.

I need to visit that health food store more often than just on return trips from the Clinic - is really does help me refocus and get back in touch with what my food should be like, when I get too swayed by cheap sales of the lower-quality stuff. Which, with a larger family to feed, is an easy trap to fall into.

I had a huge find at Goodwill today - a Jessica McClintock gown that fits First perfectly - for usd 1.00 - can you imagine?! Here is the exact dress (This is not First, it is a screen shot and unknown woman!):
    image.jpg

So, that is it for right now - be happy and healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Even as a family we never 'did halloween' until moving to America where the whole ghosts and goblins/dressing up/trick-or-treating thing seemed the norm. I was used to delivering food baskets to old people (spreading the harvest) not putting on a mask and extorting people for candy. Again, selfish self-interest won out and I trick-or-treated like any other kid, but looking back, it was not the same. In fact, I am not sure I have enjoyed Halloween since moving here. It, much like Christmas, has morphed into "what can I get" not "what can I give" Something to consider.
    Canio, I meant to respond to this a couple of days ago, but got hung up...

Thanks for the post - you have given me something to consider. The Lutheran church hubby used to attend always had Harvest Parties instead of Halloween, which we always attended, but they didn't distribute food for this holiday as they ran an all-year proper small food bank. Anyway, the way the English do it is sweet and logical and sensible, so I will be copying it.

(As well as trick or treating with the best of them - it is so much fun to run around in a costume in the dark and get candy for the asking, fundamentalist Christians and their preoccupation with stamping out the "occult" be durned! I think it feels like one ginormous block party, which this world doesn't have enough of, and I just cannot get enough.)

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    I think I've rec'd this book before, but the Susan Cooper Dark is Rising series offers an interesting and accessible folklore/Christian/pre-Christian take on things - including samhain. Of course, they're kids books and it's only a part of the story, which weaves Arthurian legends in too for good measure, but I always enjoyed that aspect of them. The first one is a bit jolly hockey sticks, it is possible to skip it and read on from The Dark Is Rising, though I'm not adverse to a bit of jolly hockey.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    (As well as trick or treating with the best of them - it is so much fun to run around in a costume in the dark and get candy for the asking, fundamentalist Christians and their preoccupation with stamping out the "occult" be durned! I think it feels like one ginormous block party, which this world doesn't have enough of, and I just cannot get enough.)
    and this CC is one of the reasons I think you would be one cool lady to hang out with. As for 'Harvest Festivals' they annoy the heck out of me when they are the church-sponsored 'exactly like Halloween but just without the devil!' variety. It is great your husband's church does the year round food bank. The number of hungry families in America always shocks me.

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    though I'm not adverse to a bit of jolly hockey.
    I have no idea what you just said

Page 58 of 82 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast