Page 57 of 76 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 57

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I also love the sneaker boots! What a find!

It didn't even occur to me when I wrote the smoker comment, my brain is operating very slowly these days.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Kittens...

image.jpg
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    They are too CUTE! My rat terrier has a spot on her side and the same coloring as the one on the left.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Triplets - all boys. I'm so in love!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Halloween plans - Second will be the black bomb bird from Angry Birds, I will be the white bomb-pooping bird, and I want hubby to be King Pig. Third will be Pegasus. First has offered to be Bellerophon. Yeah, I get into Halloween, even at my age.

Scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed the house today with all hands participating. I like a clean, organized house.

Think I need to go to the doc - for a month I have been having joint pain in the left thumb and left leg socket joint which then radiates down the left leg. Ouchy enough that I took ibuprofen for it a few times. Today, getting Third off of the bus, I thought that left leg would give out on the walk back to the house. More than once the left thumb has been weak. Never had such a thing before. Harrumph.

Just before Rudi died, I dug out all of my antique Wagner cast iron that I got a good while ago from the MIL. It was her mother's, who dumped it in the trash when space-age stuff came out, whereupon her husband dug it out and hid it successfully from her. Now it is mine. With all the talk on the MDA of how cast iron is nonstick, I gave it a whirl and a huge study session online. Yup - cast iron is practically nonstick. Hubby is amazed as I am. So - no more Teflon pans for us. I asked hubby to keep an eye on eBay for other pieces.

The tickets for the opera came in the mail today! La Boheme, mid-November, performed by a regional company. Last one I saw was La traviata at the Neue Oper Frankfurt back when, and they did this weird thing by setting it in a WWII Germany setting; I didn't really understand much as it was my first opera, and to have it kinda messed around with didn't help. Totally enjoyed it, even so.

Wanna know what I would almost sell a car to see?? David Copperfield do his flying routine.

Blue Man Group is on the calendar for April, tickets are already ours. Yippee! Hubby and I saw them when they had this tiny theater in Manhattan, and weren't so world famous yet. I still have bits and pieces from stuff they assaulted us with .

Found out my MIL got her picture taken with Mickey Rooney - I saw the pic in her scrapbook this past weekend. Third actually found it first and demanded to know what her Gramdma was doing with the guy from the Black Beauty series she used to watch. We tried to explain to her what actors are, and that Grandma has been involved in theater her whole life and sometimes gets to meet people.

...First just ran past yelling "I'm going to do a 10-100!". Silly goose. That is what happens when you watch ancient movies. 'Specially old trucking movies like Smokey and the Bandit. Although Jackie Gleason had a wonderful potty mouth! My fave insult - calling someone a "tick turd". Gets me every time.

Although the one time that a cussing tirade brought me to tears laughing and losing my breath was Robert deNiro in Analyze This. The bloopers are even better. Even Billy Crystal can't hold it together. Just floooooowwwwwwws like silk.

So - that is it. Let me know how you all have been faring!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

I was just scribbling in honeybuns' journal, and since she is a horticulturalist, I got to thinking of my plant plans and such. So, here they are:

Rip oregano and lemon balm totally out. My oregano truly has mutated into this monster invasive thing. We would just eat it, but the leaves have no flavor, so what is the point? "Oregano" (that is its name - we name our biggest herb plants, especially the ones that seem to develop a life of their own) is the size of a toddler bed - honest. Lemon balm smells nice, but I don't otherwise have a use for it yet and it has gone wild as well with plant colonies popping up in places I don't want them.

Double the size of the herb garden. I will need to kill some lawn to do that, but my lawn is oddly shaped in that part of the yard and it won't impact anything, including how the kids normally play on it. I would like to add some scented geraniums, and I need space for stuff like borage and chamomile, and lavender, too. Sometime I will try to keep a bay leaf bush alive - outside in the heat of summer, back indoors for some coddling in winter.

I need to get out there and freeze a whole lotta' fresh herbs. I usually forget until the first hard frost, and then most of it has become unusable except as compost.

I bought my first ipomoea this past spring - Sweet Caroline, which is a black variety with heart-shaped leaves, but it turned green on me!! Anybody know why that happens??

Since I live in the middle of my own woods, I have my challenges with sufficient sunlight. Many garden flowers don't like it close to the house, since the house itself throws shade. First would love tall, spiky, English garden stuff like hollyhocks and lupine and gladiolus - but that just won't happen close to the house where we could actually see it. Darn. Hostas, on the other hand, adore it here.

I have this meadow up front. I think I will plant wildflowers and mow it to create a labrynth. This is the shape I chose:
    image.jpg

Hubby says we should plant ginseng. We do have a huge wooded, north-facing hillside on the property. Trouble is, stuff takes years and years to grow. But then again, planting trees is much the same kind of thing - I once read that trees are not planted for you, they are planted for your kids, and the kids in turn should plant trees with their children in mind.

I think I need to get familiar with a ph test kit. I don't test at all - I feed and feed and feed what passes for soil in this part of the country, all homemade compost and cured manure and stuff like that, and what likes it here likes it or not. But now I think a shot of lime would be helpful.

Well, that is it - time to get ready for the Wednesday therapy run. Bye!
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 10-26-2013 at 05:10 AM.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Angry Birds meets Greek mythology. Sounds like a kick butt halloween.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Decorated the long table for Halloween today (our formal dining table seats 16 - lots of space for decorations). Took the kids to a pumpkin splash event at the Y - pay for the pumpkins in advance, they throw all the cucurbits in the big swimming pool, which float naturally BTW, and the kids go swimming amongst the bobbing pumpkins and choose their personal favorite. Then on to a small pumpkin carving and snack party while Charlie Brown/The Great Pumpkin plays in the background. Sweet, fun evening.

Nothing else much to report. Currently watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith - still a cute flick.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I second you on that one CC, mr and mrs smith- very cute
    We don't really do Halloween here althou I noticed in the warehouse (that's a big store chain in nz), that there were lots of halloweeny sort of things, so praps it is cottoning on??????
    Hope all the crabbies are well
    G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Currently watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith - still a cute flick.
    I would watch Ms Jolie in anything...or nothing *wink, wink*
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Page 57 of 76 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast