Page 53 of 80 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 53

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey, Gwamma!

Where have you gone? I miss you here...

If anything is amiss, I offer any aid that might be useful.

(Sniff...)
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Hubby has grown einkorn wheat, just a little plot in our yard. It looks a lot like grass, he also grew hard red winter wheat. As you can see there is a big difference between the two.
    IMG_2963.jpg

When I look at the einkorn it's hard for me to imagine how it would be considered a significant food source.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    That is SOOOO great, Forager!

I also read that einkorn yield is way lower than modern wheat, while it does grow in places that modern wheat wouldn't if not for massive artificial interventions.

My local health food store doesn't carry the flour or the whole grain - just cookies and pasta and stuff. Sigh. Time for a call to the bigger health-foodarama way up close to Cleveland, before I resort to the Internet.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Thanks, doc! We have a fraction less than 25 acres, subtracting what the house, driveway and yard take up. Almost entirely wooded hill, though, as when we moved out here, I was adamant that we not buy pasture or plowed field to mow as my kiddos were ages 1-1/2 to 7, Third had a four-day-a-week therapy schedule on top of tons of Clinic runs, hubby travelled lots, and the house was being redone on top of all that...

But you have me thinking - I do have an unused flat spot down below. And I have tried a scythe before - my Oma used to have one and use it, too. Imagine a 4' 11" traditional Oma out there cutting tall grass with a scythe as tall as she is. This is the same woman who used to drag me into the woods with an axe, box saw, and length of chain so's I could help her drag fallen timber back out and cut it all up for the wood-burning stove she had in her kitchen.

Do you think that the deer, groundhogs and bunnies will eat the sprouts and/or green stalks/seed heads??
    I'm sure that they would eat some, and it would be hard to keep them off of it.... but an acre of broadcast wheat is alot... and the cutting and stacking is very labor intensive.

THis is a book I purchased a while back that is all about growing your own grain. Gene Logsdon is a hoot. He's from Ohio, I believe... you may have heard of him.... I have several of his books and I love his work.
    Small-Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers, 2nd Edition: Gene Logsdon, Jerry O'Brien: 9781603580779: Amazon.com: Books

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    I dunno... isn't discussing grow-your-own-wheat here akin to discussing bomb-making at the airport?
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I dunno... isn't discussing grow-your-own-wheat here akin to discussing bomb-making at the airport?
    No more so than some of the forums that advocate eating sugar. CC mentioned wanting to grow einkorn, and some of my past readings (pre-primal days) included learning how to grow grains. I just pointed her in the direction of the information I read.... She seems to want to grow einkorn, I just pointed to where she can get info on how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    No more so than some of the forums that advocate eating sugar. CC mentioned wanting to grow einkorn, and some of my past readings (pre-primal days) included learning how to grow grains. I just pointed her in the direction of the information I read.... She seems to want to grow einkorn, I just pointed to where she can get info on how to do it.
    I was just ribbing!
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

I was just ribbing!
    I was hoping so..... I would hate to have to scold you in public! lol....

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I was hoping so..... I would hate to have to scold you in public! lol....
    I might like that kind of thing

sorry, Crabby

I might like that kind of thing

sorry, Crabby
    soooo, you're "in" to public scoldings.... hmm <takes notes>

Page 53 of 80 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast