Page 51 of 80 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 51

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Dear Journal -

So - my 10-day fast has officially concluded. I ate a couple of avocados to break it, and they sat very, very well, and I was actually full. That was 2 days ago. Yesterday I had a small spinach salad with raw cauliflower "mashed potatoes", and a raw mushroom sauce as a topper. Today I have had another small spinach salad with a small pile of coleslaw and a small haystack of shredded pickled radishes. Second and I made a raw cocoa-coconut no-bake cookie thingy for dessert. After 10 days of lemonade and plain bone broth, that was mmmmmmmm...

As you can tell, there is a raw theme going on here. No, I have not gone raw vegan!!! I am just playing with raw for two weeks, mostly because I always wanted to see what a raw diet felt like (and what changes were necessary in the kitchen to do it), and also because I know from previous fasts that a fatty roast straight off of a fast actually causes pain in the stomach, at least for me. First time I did this fast, I broke it by going to a kickass BBQ joint all the way over in Dayton, and suffered real pains for the rest of the night. Fasting lit always tells you to break it slow and gentle, but do I ever listen?!

I already own a small stack of raw cookbooks, and along with the Internet, and the books I currently have from the library, I should have a lot of fun with Second in the kitch. Tonight will be a raw cauliflower-coconut milk curry soup, methinks. Yeah, I am still cooking for the rest of the family - several of them would starve to death on a raw vegan diet; I just think that if I come upon a preparation that is simply yummy, "raw vegan" label or not, I will add it to the family repertoire.

Raw is actually harder than fasting, at least for me. Second helps in the kitchen, as this expands her horizons and stuff, and for most everything she tastes, she says, with a total poker face, "needs to be cooked". Hard case, she is.

Rumor has it that Crabbcakes will gather her chicks and start the BBY tomorrow....

First and Fourth return from horse camp tomorrow. Parents need to be there by 10:00 a.m. There is to be some kind of rodeo and demo of skills learned and projects completed. Boy, that went fast! Third has had a very good time this week without them nagging her to death - it has been a long time since I have seen her this relaxed and happy and chill and she goes around constantly hugging me and telling me she loves me. Third had this to say to her ST re Second still being at home.... "Yea, I still stuck wif HER"! LMAO!

I am going to do a 14-day report, just like I did the 10-day report for the fast, just to keep myself accountable. Here it is:

Days 1 & 2 Raw Report (yesterday and the day before - I will do a Day 3 Report tonight, as this is day three today)

Ate all raw - check
    Got some sun/movement - fail
    Called the quack - fail (although if I hurry, I might still catch him)
    Read the blog - check

Hope you are all well and happy!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    When I was in my teens, I went through a period where I'd fast for 24 hours once a week. I always broke it with pizza. I think if I did that now, I'd suffer quite a bit.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a fat hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Day 3 Raw Report...

Sun and movement - check; ran around camp for hours yesterday, watching the kids show off their new horsey skills at the outdoor arena, and also hiking up the HUUUUGE hill where First was lodged
    Called quack - nope
    Ate all raw - nearly; one soft-boiled egg went down the hatch
    Read the blog - check

Raw food "cooking" is challenging, says me. I don't like many fruits uncooked, and half of them not at all, so I am not going the way of tropical fruit plate 3 times a day - mostly veggies. I do love my veggies, though, so this is not the challenge - the challenge is making something palatable that isn't a salad or veggie sticks and dip. And boy, is there an abundance of nut and seed recipes in my books! Well, what else is there for raw vegans to get belly-rubbing full on?!

The raw curried cauliflower soup was just okay - cooked, it would have been rock star good. I did the IF thing all day yday until we all returned from camp, and then I got really hungry, so I just made a salad (spinach, scallions, grapes) and put some raw sliced sirloin, tossed in seasoned sea salt, on it. That went down smoooooth. Third had to have one, too, then she went on to eat a cooked dinner as well, which was chicken wings (crispy coating in the oven) with baked spuds. Fresh strawberries, Bing cherries, and grapes for dessert. I need to get some decent lettuce in this house - there is none to be had in this entire county unless you grow ur own, only iceberg heads and bagged romaine/iceberg, and spinach bags, hence my current love affair with spinach.

I couldn't go shopping on the way to camp because camp is located further down into Appalachian Ohio, and grocery opportunities are the same to worse down there. Gorgeous countryside, just no good shopping. Nor any farm stands that I saw.

It is good to have my chicks back. They had a blast. We already signed up for camp next year - the cheapest prices of all are those you get when you sign up for the next year the day you leave this years' camp. First will do "counselor in training" camp, and Fourth will do horse camp again.

First was going on and on about how it is sooooo good to be back home where portions of the good stuff (proteins and fresh fruit) are abundant. She said that our dinner last night would have been expected to feed her entire cabin plus counselors - that would have been 6 female teens and 2 twenty-year-olds - and a few more. We had 18 chicken wings last night for 5 people (as I am currently raw and do my own thing), plus copious strawberries, cherries, grapes. I do cook with the intention of always having leftovers, as these then go into travel lunches the next day for all the therapy commuting I do, so I always have safe food for Third and Second, with the happy coincidence that First and Fourth then have no excuses to ask for pizza or fast food when we are in the city.

Work today will be all those loads of wet, muddy camp laundry. I am skipping church to do it - no biggie, as the UU has a kind of summer session where hardly anybody is there anyway, as they are all out doing cool stuff, so church itself is held in the community hall and all kid programs are combined into one. My church is so old (historical register old) that it has no air conditioning, only heat, and it gets baking hot in the chapel, which is why church is moved to the newer-addition, semi-underground area.

I need to trek into town for fabric softener, and game night tonight with the kiddos.

Next week's raw vegan curiosity project - "bacon" made from eggplant slices, dipped in Nama shoyu and dehydrated. Yeah, along with a Kitchen Aid mixer, a Cuisinart, and a Vitamix, I own an Excalibur dehydrator. Lucky stiff, I am.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    When I was in my teens, I went through a period where I'd fast for 24 hours once a week. I always broke it with pizza. I think if I did that now, I'd suffer quite a bit.
    I still really like pizza. Sigh.

Days 4 and 5 Raw Reports...

Can't remember much, but I am still doing the raw thing. I ran put of spinach, having sauteed (in sausage grease, heehee) the last of it for Third. I was getting worried there, as with the all-spinach greens, eaten raw, I wasn't "going" (ahem). Which would be supremely strange, as I have very efficient "plumbing" and greens are all fibrous and stuff; but with no spinach yday (Day 5) things are now "moving" with no interventions.

My sleep is getting a bit messed up again. I was waking in the 6 a.m. hour cleanly (whether I actually got up or read in bed is another matter, but I was awake), and now I am waking two hours later.

I am writing this entry whilst sitting of my porch - my attempt to get fresh air first thing every morning. It is nice. Such a weird statement, coming from someone who would rather be indoors in the corner of some stuffy library, living in my head. I credit Primal for making me more comfortable in my own skin - literally, for this sensitive-skinned person - and MovNat for making the outdoors seem so "natural" for humans to be in, that I have been trying it.

No hunger on this raw thing - I do get full. Admission: I ate a can of Wild Planet sardines yday, just for the O-3. Not the protein - I am still topping my salads with raw steak. Fourth likes to sit next to me and eat half of the raw beef. Yeah, I let her. She can actually taste the difference between beef from one source and another. Perhaps I shouldn't come down so hard on her for being so damn picky - the girl is never wrong.

I was worried that after the fast, I would gain most of my inches back as soon as I added in food, as in "it was all water weight", but that hasn't happened yet. I had a serious craving for sugar last night. I killed it with a couple tablespoons of coconut oil and Sunbutter. Yeah, Sunbutter is roasted sunflower seeds, but if it worked in such a situation, hey.

I bought organic fresh collards and kale. I am going to make a rubbed kale salad and use the collards as a wrapper for some sandwich fillings - food experiment, as I have never done that before. I like both cooked, though, so it shouldn't be awful. I hope. I also bought some monk fruit sweetener and coconut aminos. We have always been a Braggs aminos household, so the taste comparison should be interesting. Bought some medjool dates, too, as per raw recipes, to use as a sweetener - I only knew deglet dates, and like them, so eating a soft medjool yday was really, really nice - I can see why they are always in stock at the health food store!

Gotta get more beef to eat raw - hubby keeps eating most of it for lunch while I am in the city with Third!! Huge pot of pulled pork in the fridge, and he eats the beef set aside for me... Harrumph. Men.

Nothing else to report. Hope all is well with y'all!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I wanted to let you know that I was reading ideas as to why I couldn't get my sauerkraut to ferment, and one thing I found (somewhere) was that temperature can be a factor. I knew too cool would be, but I didn't know too hot would also slow down fermentation. Just thought I'd let you know. One day we will get more than just salty cabbage!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a fat hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Days 6 thru 8 Raw Reports...
    Still reading the blog, still eating overwhelmingly raw, still driving hundreds of miles, yaddah yaddah.

I ate a cooked sausage last night, and a broth Second had made using another sausage. Yum. Made a raw kale salad with avocado, lemon juice, wild capers, sea salt, shaved hazelnut. Hubby, Second, and I all loved it - will make it again.

I am noticing that my face is now looking "brighter" for lack of a better term. Still amazed at how satisfactorily full I am on high raw. Both are pleasing happenings.

I now wear my "skinny jeans". They aren't skinny jeans at all, but they are the skinniest thing I have in my closet, and I have struggled to even get them all the way up my thighs, and now they are over my bum, and fastened, with room in the legs. After three of my babies, I got right into a ladies 8 quickly, but after Fourth, it all hit the crapper. I did a birth control "ring" insertable thing, and that bad combo (for me) of hormones plus a monster episode of Celexa and Ativan for postpartum depression had my weight rocketing and my health sinking. That is what I am still struggling to put behind me, even as all three drugs were left behind years ago. It feels SO good to feel lighter to myself. No, the skinny jeans aren't a ladies 8 yet, but I am not that far off!

I have been looking to find "an excuse" for not eating grains in public, and I think I have a doozy that stops all conversation cold - sympathy eating with Second and Third. Second ADORES it when I do this with her - even though she is 100% secure in her dairy-free/gluten-free diet, she still loves my company in it when we eat the same in public. Not that I actually need one to tell folks to piss off, it is just an internal motivator for me. If Second and Third will need to do their thing forever, why can't I do it with them, as I am supposed to be the Primal adult here??

Otherwise, I am doing the marital discord thing. Actually, it has been going on for a while now, we just deal with it like big boys and girls. Kids have totally noticed now. No, nothing that requires a cop car, clergy confession, lawyer, or welfare signup. But it plays out in money. I have been really unhappy about a few things, and can't find a satisfactory solution yet. (Huge exhale). It is really getting me down.

So, despite my blues, I do hope you all are faring well!

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    I hope the blues quickly become...uh...a happier color.

Great grain excuse btw. Eating healthy and keeping the Crabblettes happy.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Okay CC here it is: Perfect Paleo Pancakes

To make chocolate waffles I added cocoa, some honey and I think I used butter instead of coconut oil. If the batter seems too liquid you can add just a little coconut flour. I just sort of threw it all in the blender and I didn't measure carefully. The tricky thing for us is finding green plantains, though I suppose it would also work with yellow ones. They will of course be sweeter and they may cook faster. You gals are all good cooks so I'm sure you'll be able to make it work. I forgot to mention DS had them with whipped cream!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Forager - THANK YOU!!

Page 51 of 80 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast