Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians page 5

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    God, Crabbcakes, how dare you have a normal busy life. Dance for my amusement, monkey! Dance!

Also, good luck with that book. I hope you are able to find something fun and exciting that you will really want to do. I adore shovelglove since it's more like playing make-believe than (ugh) exercising. I genuinely look forward to it and have been bummed out that I couldn't do it the last few days. I hope you find a way of moving that you love too!

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Guten Morgen, Journal!

I. Am. Sore. Two or three days ago, depending on how you count days (that would have been this past Friday), I woke up, and seeing as how the rest of the Family Crabbcakes was still in the sack, decided that the cloudy weather would be conducive to some sorely overdue tree pruning. We have one ornamental tree at the end of the herb garden; don't know what the thing is called, but it is a standard landscaping slow-growing tree-let with the hanging branches that isn't a willow - it reminds me a lot of the back end of an ostrich / emu, and the Kids Crabbcakes call it the Ostrich Tree to distinguish it from other isolated trees on the property. The branches were all the way to the ground and blocking the walkway around the house. So I grab the pruning tool and go to it, no breakfast or nuthin' - I even stayed in my jammies, too (my jammies look a lot like street clothing, so no big deal).

The pruning tool could have used an oiling and a little bolt loosening - it was pretty damn tight - but I ignored it and went to work with a vengeance, clearing lots of dead wood as well. And then, when that wasn't enough for me, I cleared the herb garden of weeds. And then planted 8 herb plants. And then gathered coriander seed from the cilantro plants. And then - the energy ran out.

I don't know what got into me, but just as I was finishing up (it was hours later), the sky opened up. What did I do? Well, it felt soooo good to be in the lukewarm rain (after I had gotten all kinds of tree refuse on the upper half and garden dirt on the bottom half) that I just took off the clothes down to the undies, walked around the house to the corner of the garage where the downspout/gutter doesn't work right and leaks a heavy stream of water off the corner of the garage like someone opened a firehose up - and showered au naturel. Hubby saw me back there and tossed me a bar of soap at my request. And brought me a big, dry beach towel... great guy - it's why I married him. Just as I was all squeaky clean and rinsed, the rain quit and the sun came out. Next up on the outdoorsy menu - the Primal-obligatory 15 minutes of sunshine (even though I treat it as optional mostly). Works great for warming back up.

Sooo - Friday the arms and shoulders were heavy and sore. Saturday, the arms and shoulders were better, but the butt was achy! Good grief - the tush! I almost took a tylenol. Sunday, the tush was better, but now the back of the thighs are achy and tight... And Sunday I got the munchies and decided that eating the remaining homemade chocolate centers the kids and I had made pre-Primal would be a good idea... where four were good, eight or 10 would be excellent, right??!! It took less than an hour before my intestines hurt! I mean, it pressed hard! I was hoping for relief via a huge foghorn toot, but nada... I was doomed to ride this one out... As I write this, I feel much better, but I am really stunned that my body is starting to actively reject the not-food. My celiac daughter was so fantastic - she has had to endure awful stomachaches, and she was such a great commiserator and company as I lay on the couch and complained of the achiness. Secretly, she was happy about this - not that Mom was in pain, but that someone else in the house could experience food issues as she does - like I had joined her secret members-only Food Gives You Stomaches Club.

And that brings me to now. The tree cuttings are still in the yard, so that will be some work this week, but other than getting the branches off of the dead-anyway lawn (due to heat and dryness here), I have no great WOMing plans until the sore muscles are no longer sore. I hope they give it up before this coming Thursday - First, Second, hubby and I all have tickets to see Barry Manilow, and I wanna' dance without pain! First and Second are really, really excited - it will be their first-ever popular music concert, and we all are going to an outdoor venue we are new to.

So, dear Journal, I think it is time to obey another Primal principle - that of sleep... tomorrow is another therapy day with Third. I'll let you know how the concert turns out...

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Aw man, your early morning outside adventure sounds so wonderful! Makes me wish I had a yard.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I always found that movement helps make sore muscles less so.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Guten Abend, Journal!

The Barry Manilow concert was heavenly! The outdoor structure itself resembles very much a landed flying saucer with a large landing-ramp hatch opened to the ground, just with rows of seats lined up left-to-right in front of the hatch door in anticipation of the aliens stopping and giving the Vulcan salute. The flying saucer itself sits in a tight bowl-shaped valley - the land on all sides sloped up and away - these are the laws seats, and where the Family Crabbcakes sat.

The evening was as perfect as they come - not hot and not cold, barest of breezes, no bugs (uh-oh... probably got a dose of pesticide... no mosquitos?!?!) and absolutely clear. Thursday was the Corn Moon (the full moons around this house each have names), and it slowly rose, huge and glowing amber above the tall treetops as Barry sang a ton of his hits.

The music was so much fun that we giant albino lawn ants (aka audience members) were up and dancing half of the evening. I'm counting THAT as my WOM for the day!! Second was absolutely enthralled - hooting and hollering and doing the can-can and singing and bouncing around the stadium blanket when she wasn't dancing. Second got so happy that she actually asked to sit on my lap for a while, just as a kind of a "I love you Mama for bringing me here" moment (and she is almost 14 ). First is a bit more reserved - she just swayed quietly to the music. Mr. Crabbcakes and I have far fewer reservations... perhaps you will see us dancing the partner-freestyle on some YouTube vid somewhere. Aaaaaah - some family evenings make the trouble you take raising kids all worth it!

We resisted the lure to buy fancy alcoholic drinks and snacks - having fortified ourselves just before our departure with beef burgers and cauliflower and cukes and homemade pickles and green salad with evoo vinaigrette and ice water. Hubby showed me his weight this morning - 198lb!!! Good show, Mr. Crabbcakes!! He hasn't seen the underside of 200 for quite a while now, and the rest of his family has duly noticed the smaller gut.

I also had a first... if you are male, you should probably go and get something Primal from the fridge for a bit, because I am going to talk about... Shark Week. (I picked up this term from the menstrual cup thread and L M A O!) Two days ago the shark bit, and I didn't even know it was coming. I mean - no pain. If you knew how I suffer through the first full 24 hours of Shark Week, you wouldn't laugh - I have been known to faint. The M.O. for this is to take staggered doses of acetaminophen and ibuprofen for a full day, swell like a roadkill groundhog on a summer day, and feel about as good. Day One was the day of... the Manilow concert. I thought I was doomed to writhe in pain, try to pretend I was having a good time, and bleed all over my family. And none of it materialized. I LOVE YOU MARK SISSON FOR PUTTING THE PRIMAL OUT THERE!!

So, my Journal, there you have it - one awesome concert with a little WOMing, and a totally successful Shark Week. Tomorrow Mr. Crabbcakes and I are slated to teach in RE (Religious Education - the Unitarian Universalist version of Sunday school) together, so I had better get in touch with the director and see if she has any plans outside of maintaining crowd- and crafts-control. The next thing on the Primal agenda is a YAYOG beginning on Monday, just to tinker with it and try the training positions. As the Terminator has been known to say - "I'll be back..."

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Crabbcakes, I have been very interested in attending our local Unitarian church, but I'm nervous, because my husband has to work and can't go with me! Maybe I'll get brave next weekend and check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Crabbcakes, I have been very interested in attending our local Unitarian church, but I'm nervous, because my husband has to work and can't go with me! Maybe I'll get brave next weekend and check it out
    I went ahead of my family to check it out. I am a little psycho about investigating things before I bring my kids along anywhere, so I was there a number of times before I felt comfortable enough to bring the progeny. They now love it.

I will give you this tip - because the churches each have their individual character, you might want to check the UUA: Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations website for the locations of all the UU churches in your area and check all of them out. There is some autonomy involved, so one church may be really, really gay-rights, and another might have chosen not to complete a "Welcoming Congregation" program (as the title of the program is called where openly gay couples/individuals are openly courted for inclusion in a church community), for example. In this area there is an ultra-modern LEEDS-certified building, one on the Register of Historic Places, one located in Kent OH (of Kent State University fame), one that is still in formation in somebody's house, one as a strip mall storefront church... you get the idea.

The Reverend at ours is a heterosexual married man. The Rev at one in Pittsburgh is openly gay, living with his long-term partner. Ours, until recently, had interim reverends until my UU hired the one we have now. Also, our Rev is a practicing Buddhist as well as an UU Reverend.

Definitely a motley crew, so if you don't like the mood at one location, do try the others. Let me know how it goes!

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Crabby, I've checked this church out, and they have a new interim pastor. They have recently had a booth at our local gay-pride parade (even though they are in an affluent, conservative suburb). They have classes in Buddism on Wednesdays, and as my husband and I have studied Buddism and the link to Gnostic Christian teachings extensively, I feel like this place may be worth checking out. I'm such so socially awkward, and I hate going to new places, where I don't know the protocol. For instance, I despise having to go up and take the host/communion, etc. It seems so... I don't know... I don't hold hands at church or at prayer either! My husband thinks I'm weird for that, but as a child of a rabid Evangelical/Mega-church Southern Baptist mother, I tend to equate all of that "praise-hands" showmanship with evil I'll be brave and go next weekend, then tell you about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    I'm such so socially awkward, and I hate going to new places, where I don't know the protocol.
    I believe you, but I am having a hard time imagining you as socially awkward. You come across on the posts as more of a take-charge, I-know-myself kind of gal.

I'm looking forward to hearing about it!

FWIW, I am having a harder time with the gay stuff at my UU. It isn't THE topic of each Sunday, but there is a monthly cafe meeting of friends/family of the LGBTQ crowd, and the church flies the rainbow flag, etc. Our rev is on the record stating he would do same-sex unions if asked. I have a good childhood friend who came out of the closet - we are still the same friends as before, but with my LDS background I honestly still feel, waaaaay deep down inside, that this "isn't the way things should be" (my words), although I have no hate or angst toward anyone who is.

I had to laugh the other day - where I get my hair done, my salon guy is gay. I think all the others working there are, as well. Anyway, as I was making the next appointment, the desk guy and I got to talking about Aveda makeup, and then HE starts comparing/contrasting what I was looking at with the demands of drag makeup... that was a new one on me!

Okay - enough digressing. It will work out well. The UU isn't really heavy on ceremony protocol, there is no communion of the bread/wine variety, and at least at mine, there is no prayer - just a Buddhist two-minute Rev-led meditation quiet-time, complete with Tibetan dingy-type bowl for a chime, although a good number of the congregation pray at home.

I will tell you how smooth our UU is: last Easter, the kids all were running around the church looking for Easter eggs that were hidden in the classrooms and hallways whilst the main service was being held. The way our church is built, one hallway runs behind and above the altar, on the other side of the wall. So, all of the adults were in our two-minutes of meditation when one of the high school kids states in a firm voice "Don't be such a retard!". You could hear every syllable clear as day. The Rev completes the meditation just like nothing had ever happened... we all are wondering if he will dare and what he will say... and then he says to the congregation... "It is always amazing what you hear when you are silent."

Hellooooo Journal!

It is a quiet Saturday morning at Crabbcakes Manor. I am the only one awake - we all are recovering from lack of sleep due to Movie Night last night (it being Friday night and Mr. Crabbcakes didn't need to wake up and work this morning...). First, Second, and I watched old episodes of the A-Team, then Leslie Nielsen's flick "Dracula - Dead and Loving It", and finished the night off with several episodes of AFV (America's Funniest Home Videos). Yup - we were going for the laughs last night, and loved every minute. And yes, we have seriously G-rated tastes in this house...

Fourth took Mr. Crabbcakes upstairs to the master bedroom TV, where Third was already ensconced, and I have no idea what they watched, but it was definitely kid-video stuff (Mr. Crabbcakes and I wouldn't have it any other way). I think it was Alvin and the Chipmunks.

So - the YAYOG thing didn't materialize. Yet. But I didn't do it in favor of a lot of driving and even more housework. Last night I dragged a rug outside and scrubbed it - by hand. That definitely counts as work!

I have been really good about the diet, and it has paid me in return by...

GETTING ME TO THE SECOND HOLE ON THE BELT-MEASURE!!

Woohoo!!! Yeah!!!! A couple of days ago I even wore my smallest jeans two days straight and they fit comfortably! Then I swelled a bit (my body is really, really responsive in the swelling department - for example, my hands swell so much in the course of a day, especially if the weather is hot outside and I am in it, that I need to remove my wedding bands or they get uncomfortable) so I put on the next size up - and then had to wear a belt. And THEN discovered it is very comfortable at the second hole... Awesomeness!!!

I still do dairy, but I have been switching from cow to goat, for the most part (the buttermilk is still cow). I found a local dairy that sells raw goat-milk cheddar, bought a block, and really like it. So now I have two goat cheeses that are easily accessible (chevre and the cheddar) that satisfy my hankering for dairy.

Third goes back to school on the 22nd, so next week has been proclaimed Regular Bedtimes Are Reinstated Week - in preparation for the rude awakening that usually happens in this house at the beginning of a new school year when everybody needs to get up on a schedule. In the morning, that is. Ugh. It would be so nice to be like Grok and just get up without any alarm clocks and bullshit - permanently.

I have been thinking that this might be a good time to practice some sleep hygiene on my part. I already know that my sleep-tank is full on 7 to 7-1/2 hours of solid sleep, so if I can get prone a little before midnight, that should do the trick. I cannot set a firm, to-the-minute bedtime for myself or the psychological pressure will kill it right on the first night - I have a weird personality that way - so I need to reframe it in a way that is a little more lenient. It hasn't escaped me that lack of quality sleep will kinda' screw up your health... so if I want the kids to have good sleep habits, then maybe Mom should walk her talk as well. Sigh.

So, I now have my sights set on beginning the YAYOG intro-fooling-around-thingy this coming Monday, since all of us will be up early (damn school schedules) and all. Hopefully, dear Journal, it won't take me another week to stop by this way again, but stop by I definitely will...

Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast